HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   hand guns in new york? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/142026-hand-guns-new-york.html)

tj_cubin 05-09-2006 06:09 PM

hand guns in new york?

i didnt know exactly where to post this, so dont be suprised if you happen to see this over in the guns forum

What is the process for getting a hand gun permit and or concealed weapons permit in New York? I know you have to be 21, but other than that i am clueless.
Is it hard to get? What are the requirements and process? Does it cost alot of money? Where do you go to apply for one?

I sitll have a few months before i turn 21, and who knows if I'll even get one after that, but any help would be appreciated.
thanks.

oh, and i am not referring to new york city.

Airborneguy 05-09-2006 10:03 PM

RE: hand guns in new york?

Depends on your county. Some counties, the sheriffs office handles it, others, like Orange, you have to see a judge and offer an explanation as to why you need it. The further you go from NYC, the easier of course. Contact your local sheriff's office to get better info for your region.

SPIKEHORN11 05-10-2006 03:52 PM

I live in Onondaga County.

Its $10.00 for the application then $36.00 for the handeling and fileing fee plus $80.00 or $90.00 (can't remember)for the FBI background check. Non Refundable, you can still be turned down.

It can take as long as 6 months to go through. In my county the Judge approves or denies it. My buddy got his in less then a month. Mine took 3 months.

As far as carry permitsI am told that only police and peace officers can get them. I applied and was turned down for a carry. Mine is a "sportsman" which means I can carry while target shooting, hunting and hiking in remote areas.

In onondaga county there are 3 judges who make the decisions. My buddy took an armed gaurd course and was given a carry permit. All the judges have different opions and of courseits all who you know.I was told by several people that my judge won't issue them for anything.

When you buy a gun you are given a bill of sale which you bring to the county sheriffs who will put the gun on your permit and give you a coupon to go pick the gun up from where you bought it. It cost $3.00 to put a gun or or take one off.

doughboysigep 05-10-2006 06:09 PM

whether you can get a carry permit is entirely dependent on the county. Onondaga Co. is a hard county to get one (because of the city of Syracuse). On the other hand, right next door in Cayuga it is much easier (where I got mine). I now live in Broome, another difficult county to get a carry permit (another city - Binghamton). My total costs about 10 years ago was ~$120 (a big costs was the photos that I needed).

Sylvan 05-11-2006 11:46 AM

New York laws regarding this make no sense. I have a concealed carry in Steuben and had no problem getting it. It's my understanding that I can carry anywhere in NY except NY city. So I can carry in Syracuse but a resident there can't get a permit? That's fair! This state has some pretty screwy laws.

NYBOWHUNTER43 05-11-2006 06:46 PM

Like the others said it depends on what county you are in.. Ny keeps making it harder to get.. When you fill out the applacation make sure you reed the directions and follow them to the letter.. If you use the wrong color ink they will not proccses it.. Follow the instructions..

Nord QC Bouman 05-12-2006 10:40 AM

You can get CCP both in and out of state as long as you have some MIL,Police, Corrections, etc background. NY does not give CCP to anything but.

Airborneguy 05-12-2006 03:45 PM

We need to get rid of Silver somehow. With him gone, a lot of worthwhile legislation, not just on guns, would get passed. This year he resisted the new penalties for murdering and assaulting cops until finally the chorus against him was too much. Currently, he's trying to keep the DNA sampling for convicted criminals bill from coming to vote also. He's a real piece of crap when it comes to anything which would hurt criminals or empower victims.

doughboysigep 05-13-2006 11:24 AM

Nord,

You are wrong on the carry permit. I have no police or military and I have one. You can also get them (in tougher counties) if you are deal with/carry large sums of money.

Sylvan 05-13-2006 12:19 PM

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

Nord,

You are wrong on the carry permit. I have no police or military and I have one.
Me too!