Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY turkey opener >

NY turkey opener

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY turkey opener

Old 05-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Spike

Default NY turkey opener

Couldn't get off opening day, but i did get out for 2 hours. I heard 5 on the roost, but they shut right up when they flew down, and headed the opposite direction from us. Hope to set up on them better tomorrow. Any luck from anyone else?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY turkey opener

I took my first bird!!!!

I posted in the turkey section.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1522626
Old 05-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Spike

Congrats, that was pretty lucky. I did the same with a hen this morning,I stood up she was coming across the field. They weren't talking to much today i guess

Old 05-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

I got lucky and killed a nice 20.5 pounder with a 9.5" beard and 1" spurs at 5:55 this morning. It was a short/sweet hunt with lots of gobbling. This hunt was especially rewarding since I had some moron park next to my truck and come down and set-up about 70 yds. from me. The dumb as* came walking all the way down to the woods with a flashlight at 5:00. Thankfully, mr. big boy didn't see his light and liked the sound of my woodhaven mouthcall and the real hen calling behind me. Now, its gonna be tough to tag #2.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:05 AM
Fork Horn

opening day was good to me shot a nice tom 21.5 lbs 10" beard 1 1/8 spurs. Hunting eastern NY shot was 18yds and he went about 8 yds after the shot. No blind was used just good old camo lol.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:30 AM

Had one bird working right off the bat - comming in real fast and gobbling all the way. I pull up to get ready and i have him in sight - he's at about 50 yards and comming right at me just waiting for him to get a little closer then i see movement on my left and notice it was another bird that came in silent and was watching me the whole time. He spooked and took off and spooked the other bird too. Better luck on the weekend.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

we got em in delaware county 5/2-5/4
our partner got a tom early in the morning
around 1130 my dad gets another good one
our other parnter shot a jake
i on the other hand should of had a bird on the first morning but ..ill learn
and today i got a jake
Old 05-05-2006, 06:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

WNY, 5:55 ? What you do shoot on the roost?
Old 05-05-2006, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

today was my first time out for the season, and we heard one gobble a couple times a mile away
other than that the woods were dead. I came home from college last night and have had any time to scout, so i have no idea where they are at. This morning they werent where they normally are. A couple months ago i saw at least 30 turkeys in the same patch of woods iw as hunting this morning. Today there was nothing. Then i come home and look out in the field right by where i was hunting and there is a hen feeding. She might have been on the nest all morning, and not responded to any of our calls. I came in a little early, but its hard to stay out there when everything from your waist down has fallen asleep twice and you ahvent heard or seen a single bird.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every place I've hunted so far this May, Toms have been gobbling on the roost around 5:10-15, and on the ground by 5:30. This morning I had both my boys setup on at least 3 toms gobbling their fool heads off on roost. I gave them a couple light clucks & tree yelps just to let them know a hen was nearby. 5:30 were on ground, shut-up, and went directly away from us. By 5:45 they'd easily moved over1/4mile awayto the Powerlines. By 6:00, they'd crossed a County highway, andonto a posted farmers field. They only gobbled enough on the ground to let us know where headed. Was the most disappointing morning I've had in awhile. At one point I was picturing my boys bagging birds, and being a proud father. Next thing I knew the hunt was over, and nothing we did until 8amwas any good. But we'll be back at it again tomorrow morning.

Quick Reply: NY turkey opener

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.