Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY's Hunter safety course >

NY's Hunter safety course

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY's Hunter safety course

Old 03-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: NY's Hunter safety course

I don't want to babysit anybody right now either. Everybody play nice!

RULE #8. Do not engage in "flame-wars" or excessive exchange of confrontational postings. Debate is important, but users should not try to "pick a fight" with one another.

Old 03-26-2006, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cant talk to the age for hunter safety because dont have one that young any more. I can remember taking it in Ohio way, way back and was probably that old and did it by myself.

But I can not believe that a child under 12 can't fire a gun, that seems ludicrous! I firmly believe as long as NYC is controling Albany, things like that will continue to happen. We all know that though the capital is in Albany, it is the, well the PEOPLE in NYC that dictate what Albany makes law...... just MHO! [&:][:@]
Old 03-26-2006, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

I don't want to babysit anybody right now either. Everybody play nice!

RULE #8. Do not engage in "flame-wars" or excessive exchange of confrontational postings. Debate is important, but users should not try to "pick a fight" with one another.

Old 03-26-2006, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JLmoore1956
But I can not believe that a child under 12 can't fire a gun
I really couldn't believe that when I read it either. I am actually surprised that they even allowed them airguns....At this day in age I thought everyone knew whatusing abb gun woulddo to you.....

Don't they know about poor old Ralphie....
----------------------------------------------------

"A young boy, Ralphie, desperately wants a BB gun for Christmas. He asks his mother, but she tells him no because he'll shoot his eye out.

The boy plots and schemes a way to get the gun.

For a school project on what they want for Christmas, Ralphie writes about his beloved BB gun. Expecting a perfect grade, he's disappointed when he receives a C and a note from the teacher telling him that he'll shoot his eye out.

As a last gasp, Ralphie goes to the mall and asks Santa for a BB gun. But, Santa also tells him that he'll shoot his eye out!

After all the other gifts are opened, Ralphie's dad points out another gift hidden behind the desk. Ralphie opens it and is thrilled to discover his beloved BB gun. He immediately rushes outside to try it out. The first shot ricochets off his target and hits him in the eye, but his glasses protect him. While searching for his glasses, he steps on them and crushes them."
-----------------------------------------
Old 03-26-2006, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes he might shoot his eye out[8D]
Old 03-26-2006, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would contribute further to this thread, but with the looming spector of an impatient baby sitter I just don't see the point...

Old 03-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I spoke to another safety course instructor, and he informed me my 11yr old can attend. But he cannot shoot a gun during the course which is a requirement. But what he does do for 11yr olds, is have them come back when turn 12, and shoot the gun to complete the course. It all seems crazy to me.
So I talked it over with my 11yr old. His b-day is 5/21, and he'dmiss only 1 wknd for turkey. I always take him with me anyways, and have since age 3.So he said he'll wait until August to take the course. Then be readyto huntsmall game season, w/o all the hassels.

In the meantime I ask all of you to help push to get our age limit's lowered. We need to start them younger.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buckalley,

Did you discuss the posibility of your son using a air rifle for the shooting portion of the test?

I know that is a legal possibility. Obviously it would be a question of whether the instructor allows it and assumes an air rifle is available.

Let us know how it all works out..

JC
Old 03-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

When did shooting become part of the course in NY? I know for a fact it wasn't at least as of 2 years ago when I helped out with the classes at my club.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

In 2002, I was required to shoot a bow to complete the bowhunter safety course.

Quick Reply: NY's Hunter safety course

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.