Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 undercover wardens: when should they sting? >

undercover wardens: when should they sting?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

undercover wardens: when should they sting?

Old 03-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: undercover wardens: when should they sting?

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Just the fact that the warden had prior knowledge of the crime about to be committed and was present when it was committed is enough for a "case" for entrapment or in other words an "entrapment defense".
I do not believe that. If that was the case then undercovers would never be effective and they are effective (obviously)
Old 03-08-2006, 09:37 AM

Sounds to me like your idiot friends don't have much backbone to begin with. They should go to jail just for being stupid enough to keep hanging out with the CO. How many times does someone ask you to do some thing illegal, or stupid before you stop associating with them? One time, pass it off as a misunderstanding. Twice, I write the guy off, as we clearly have different standards. This undercover CO had info, andfound the right two fools. After a time your friends should have reported the CO to the warden service. Their not reporting him to the warden service show they don't have any respect for the game, other hunters, or fair chase ethics. Hopefully this will be a wake up call for you, and you'll start looking forsome real sportsmen to be friends with. My advise, when you do find some honest sportsmen, don't mention your association with those two clowns unless you feel like hunting alone for a while.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not believe that. If that was the case then undercovers would never be effective and they are effective (obviously)
Not at all! A "case" doesn't mean convicted. The defense attourney can use "entrapment" as a defense but that doesn't mean the judge and/or jury will buy it. Defense atrouneys do it all the time and loose of course. The threshold to claim entrapment is very low but to convict those accused of the crime the jury must be convinced beyond reasonable doubt, so if it is reasonable to believe that entrapment occured then they go free. That doesn not mean that the officer was convicted of a crime. The officer isn't on trial. But if the district attourney as a result of the trial of the game violators beilievs he could convict the leo he may endict the officer. In that case then it is the governments responsibility to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the officer commited the crime. New threshold!
Old 03-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand all that. I just think that when it come down to it, this particular case, imo,from the description, probably has nothing to do with entrapment. Be interesting tohear any results of this case or official word but probably unlikely.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just think that when it come down to it, this particular case, imo,from the description, probably has nothing to do with entrapment.
My bet is, you are correct!
Old 03-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Didn't they make a movie about these guys?

Oh yea I remember now " dumband dumber "

I think aspell in the butt hut should give them some time to further their education.

Remember you can't pick your family but friends are another story! []
Old 03-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

for those of you that can't seem to remember the original question, i'll spell this sloooowwllly so that you can understand it: howlong should a warden watch crimes being committed before acting upon them? there, does that help out all that can't remember the question from page one? we don't need to bust on their character or intelligence, they got caught, they know they were wrong, and are willing to do what it takes to put this all behind them. they didn't ditch the country, which would be easy with the border 20 minutes away, nor killed anyone yet, lol. but i bet the undercover guy won't be getting a christmas card next year, heheheh.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

What charges were brought against your friends?
Old 03-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suppose this topic has drifted a bit.

Answer;
As long as it takes to gather evidence of suspected previous and ongoing crimminal activity against all the perps involved and in accordance with code or statute set forth in a given jurisdiction(local,state,federal).
Old 03-10-2006, 08:29 AM

How long should they wait to make a bust? As long as it takes. I'd rather they wait to make a bust of some substance that will do the public, and the wildlife some good, than bust someone for the first little infraction allowing the criminal to not only be free sooner, but also a little wiser to the workings of the CO's. If you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about.

The way this thread has been going it sounds to me like the OP, and a few others feel like the CO played dirty pool here, and want to rally, and turn law abiding hunters against the warden service. Sorry, I'm not buying the OP's story that the CO is some how to blame here. The CO did his job and removed a couple of criminals from society.

So, to all the COs and wardens out there, Thank you.

Quick Reply: undercover wardens: when should they sting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.