Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY and general NE mild winter >

NY and general NE mild winter

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY and general NE mild winter

Old 03-16-2006, 08:14 AM

Default RE: NY and general NE mild winter

Even the state is saying we do not have enough deer .... I'm tired of you people telling me we have too many deer when the areas I hunt have been hammered out for 3 years.
Who hammered them out?If deer numbers are to low, show a little restraint. Note: I said our deer numbers are alot lower also. That is acceptable to me but not to others. I am out there in the dead of winter assessing the deer herd and winter feed and its telling me less deer is better. Don't get me wrong, I would love more deer.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Bill Yox

I know, I know, I shouldnt bother with this post, but...You know, its funny, first we criticize the DEC for "devasting" the deer herd, and say how they dont know what theyre talking about, yet we should then turn right around and not believe what we see in the field, because we should instead READ WHAT THE DEC STATED. Now which is it? Are they numbskulls that cant be trusted with our deer, or should we believe what they state, regardless of the obvious? Sorry guys, I said I was going to leave this post alone, but...
That is a shameful conglomeration of multiple views to try and support your lame point.

I challenge you to find an example where I have said DEC can't be trusted.

You can't.

If you have a better, unimpeachable source that describes the state of the herd on a state wide level more accurately than the DEC, please reveal it. Otherwise.....zip it.

You have good deer hunting in your neck of the woods, great. If "what we see in the field" is good where you hunt, fantastic.

What about what I see in the field, backed up by the DEC statistics that my deer herd is reduced by 45% since 2002? That's not good enough for you?

Do you know what "MYOPIC" means?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:05 PM

ORIGINAL: mlo3135127
Who hammered them out?If deer numbers are to low, show a little restraint. Note: I said our deer numbers are alot lower also. That is acceptable to me but not to others. I am out there in the dead of winter assessing the deer herd and winter feed and its telling me less deer is better. Don't get me wrong, I would love more deer.
It wasn't me hammering them. I get my one and I'm done....(of course, I wait for a good one).

I accept the lower number of deer, too. But I accept them with the knowledge that we are BELOW the DEC target for Buck Harvest in 8Y and 8T. There is supposed to be more deer,
Old 03-17-2006, 12:11 PM

To "thesource"...do you notice how I am addressing this to you, personally? Good, we are off to a good start then. Perhaps youll also note how I HAVENT addressed you personally in that prior post. I did NOT quote you, or say it was you. In fact, I believe the words I DID use were "we" and "guys". This isnt just you, we are a forum made up of umpteen members addressing a topic we have covered over many months here. Sooo, my comments were based on this on-going exchange as well as those preceding it, and their over-whelming distrust for the DEC as well as opinions you share, all figured in. So,youll wannafind someone else to challenge, call lame, learn the meaning of myopia and to tell to zip it. This is an open dialog. If you dont care to have YOUR opinion disagreed with, you are talking to the wrong group of guys. Personally, I have watched these same up and down trends in deer numbers long enough to know theyll continue no matter what we post in here. This is supposed to be a fun place to just bounce stuff around. I know better than to challenge any one person in here, as it forces them to become defensive. I dont need that. You can keep throwing us the stats, but there will still be those of us who feel that even if the percentage were 90% instead of 45%, its not the ratio we are talking about, its the end number. Plain and quite simple.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post Bill.

The truth is we all want something a little different. - But thats OK.

I'm like Mlo - My group decided several years ago that we COULD manage our local deer - and effect our outcome. We too agree that less is better - based on what we saw in the 90's in Central NY.

No matter the 'over the top' opinions on this post/board - a relatively mild winter will be a good thing - a REAL good thing with 3 of the last 5 years just really bad on the local populations.

FH