Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 MOUNTAIN LION PICTURE IN PA. >

MOUNTAIN LION PICTURE IN PA.

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

MOUNTAIN LION PICTURE IN PA.

Old 02-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: MOUNTAIN LION PICTURE IN PA.

A somewhat related note. Panthers are now documented in Iowa. However, there has been no effort to place them on an endangered list. The reason why is that it would be bad press with local folks who do not want legal problems for shooting an animal that is threatening them or livestock.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

tourism that these cougars could bring into our areas here in state of pa. is unreal .this could bring in a lot of tourist dollars to our areas along with elk.
Who do you think pays for the endangered species within the states borders................THE STATE. If anyone thinks otherwise, they better look again. We have the ever so popular wolf within our borders. The feds have given one million dollars to our state to fund the wolves. One third of that goes to the Nez Perce indians to do their share. That leaves a whopping 2/3 of the amount to manage these critters. This goes to reimburse ranchers for lost cattle, population studies, and problemed animal removal after a court hearing. After that the state picks up the bill or turns it all over to the feds.

These cougars are not going to act like they are in a petting zoo for everyone to come and see. I have logged several thousand hours in the cougar rich back country and have seen 5 total in all those hours. They are elusive animals and can be right next to you without you even knowing it.

You had better hope that if they are there, the powers to be don't acknowledge it, or you will be stuck paying the bill to care for the new predator on the block.

I have lived in New York and am very aware how the voting system works.Most people in New York city will never see a cougar in the wild and will have no clue as to what they are voting on when it comes to these cats. The people who will be most likely to encouter one will have to deal with whatever the people in the city have voted for.

I don't want to turn this into a political arguement, but it sure solidifies the reasons that I left such a wonderful place. Guys I still know back in NY are worried about being able to legally keep their 50 cal. muzzleloaders. They would really love a price increaseto lisc. feesfor ongoing analysis of kitty crap and a reduction of doe permits to help maintain a viable food source.

I am afraid that the negatives would outway the positives in any case, and I can see why the states might hold back from anouncing the population of cougars, which to me seem like very few, and not a viable reproducing population.

I am surprised that in all of the reading and studies that have been done, none have centered around a population data base.In areas that have had multiple sitings, it could be checked for population. Here in the west, they will put up scratching posts laced with catnip. Go ahead and laugh but it is done. With the hair samples left at the site. It is possible for biologists to identify how many cats are in the area by looking at the DNA. In this case, it could show that the cats do roam the eastern woods, not only that, a check could be done on the DNA to see if the cats are related to the western species and so forth. ALOT could be gathered from that information.

Then again, it could let the cat out of the bag.................no pun intended.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not sure if that is it or not. I think it's something more than
that.Like around here on 2 different occasions the eastern timber
wolve was shot in 2 different years and on different parts of the
state here. One on the western side and one on the eastern side.
And they had to go see the federal magistrate and still we aretold
there is no wolves here? I think it's the same thing here. Several
reportsof the mountain lion and tracks in the snow. They say it is someone's pet, that wasout roaming.At any rate I think it's restore taking a hold up here. I've also seen some pictures of wolves taken
just north of here. The ones that had the pics. was told by our fish
and wildlife personal to shut up about it and not to say a word. So
you would have to figure it out as the real answers will soon show themselves I think.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:36 PM

You know, the thing that really ticks me off about all these folks seeing these cougars is the fact that all of them say that if these animals weren't protected they would bag one and that would prove their existance! Well PLEASE, PLEASE bag one!!!!! Don't have any pictures taken with it or anything! Just drop it off along a busy road and walk away. Let someone else find it! That way you could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they truly exist, and keep you out of trouble (unless you get caught moving it).
Believe me, I'm a very honest sportsman, and won't kill over my limit on any game, or hunt past legal hours, or hunt over bait, etc.! But as far as I'm concerned IF there are big cats here they are not WILD animals, they are pets that were released or escaped! And that, in my eyes, places them in the catagory of invasive species and should be dispatched with great prejudice!
I get a huge kick out of these folks who say it would be neat to have cougars re-introduced into our commonwealth. The 'yotes are gobbling up our pets on the outskirts of towns all across the state, and they feel things would be better with cougars?
Old 02-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sproulman, tourist trade your kidding right?
Old 02-21-2006, 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Gunwalkr

You know, the thing that really ticks me off about all these folks seeing these cougars is the fact that all of them say that if these animals weren't protected they would bag one and that would prove their existance! Well PLEASE, PLEASE bag one!!!!! Don't have any pictures taken with it or anything! Just drop it off along a busy road and walk away. Let someone else find it! That way you could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they truly exist, and keep you out of trouble (unless you get caught moving it).
Believe me, I'm a very honest sportsman, and won't kill over my limit on any game, or hunt past legal hours, or hunt over bait, etc.! But as far as I'm concerned IF there are big cats here they are not WILD animals, they are pets that were released or escaped! And that, in my eyes, places them in the catagory of invasive species and should be dispatched with great prejudice!
I get a huge kick out of these folks who say it would be neat to have cougars re-introduced into our commonwealth. The 'yotes are gobbling up our pets on the outskirts of towns all across the state, and they feel things would be better with cougars?
Now we are thinking, as far as dropping it off, things happen??.....You are so right about the coyote we are saturated with them! People have no clue what this cougar will do to the deer herds, livestock, pets and then humanshttp://trackincats.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=126&sid=411d7a0137553becc8dd1f ab6907d40b

Old 02-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Gunwalkr

You know, the thing that really ticks me off about all these folks seeing these cougars is the fact that all of them say that if these animals weren't protected they would bag one and that would prove their existance!
All eastern cougars are protected under the endangered species act. Whether the state deems them within their borders or not. The ONLY way for them to be delisted is for the state to file a claim that there are sustainable numbers within its borders to have it delisted and a management plan is in place to control the numbers. The feds can at anytime step back in and retake the control of these critters.

I am not too familiar with PA's governing body, but I do know what New Yorks is like. I can only imagine Hillary trying to battle the feds over the cougars. She would be welcoming the cats back home again, and taking the guns away from all those who legally posess them. What a mess that would be. It is much easier to ignore the few that may be there than to open up a can of worms, is what I beleive the states take is on this. There will be a point where they can't deny them anymore if the populations increase. That will be when the real fun starts.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

no, i am not kidding.the PGC has deer killed off here in 2g now.tourism is falling off as hunters are not coming in.now state is trying this PA WILDS IDEA.they are STOCKING elk in our area now.so, i could see posters, elk, bear,coyote,cougar, bobcat,eagles,red hawks.i could see the sign on road saying that. this would bring in crowds that dont hunt deer.no sign would say DEER. i really think thats the way they will try to attract tourism into area.now that CAT is out of bag, oh boy, tourist that will come to see if they can see one .yet, they deny they are here but most likely will not to much longer as sighting are really getting to be NORMAL.TAKE CARE
Old 02-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot them all.
I was for them, now I'm not.
They don't exist here.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

they deny they are here but most likely will not to much longer as sighting are really getting to be NORMAL
okey dokey.

Quick Reply: MOUNTAIN LION PICTURE IN PA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.