Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Need Information on Moose Hunting in Maine >

Need Information on Moose Hunting in Maine

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Need Information on Moose Hunting in Maine

Old 02-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Information on Moose Hunting in Maine

I also got my application in the mail today...
Old 02-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

It doesn't matter if you know a resident or not, I know a family of 3 registered guides that have lived in maine for 15 years and not a one of them have ever drawn a tag. And you can buy as many chances as you want as a nonresident, all you're doing is spending your money, you've still got a better chance of getting struck by lightening than getting a permit, the bonus point system in Maine is a joke and a scam....but I still buy my one nonresident chance every year hoping for a chance. The only way you are almost guaranteed a moose tag in maine is to buy one of the five that they auction off, any takes on what they go for??? Alot more than most of us could spend!!

You're better off looking into the bear hunt
Old 02-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you really want a moose look at Newfoundland. I went just this past October.

One of the tricks the guides used was calling. They carried a large empty soup can with two small holes in the bottom, near the center. They tie a shoe string to it. They wet the shoe string and place it between the thumb and finger and pull slowly. It is supposed to sound like a cow moose in heat.

The guides told us that if the bull is alone it will come from a long way to that call. The one guy that hunted with us watch one come in a ways before it caught the scent of a real cow and wouldn't come any closer. Meanwhile they had a small bull come in and stand at about 40 yds. So he shot it.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:24 PM

You guys know you can just apply over the web. Here is the link:
http://www.informe.org/ifw/moosepermit.html

Good luck.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:47 AM

SSgt. Bill Page,

you are in for a big surprise if you decide to go hunt moose in Maine without an experienced guide.. Make sure you research the area you are planning on hunting.. We recently went up to Moosehead Lake in Greenville... Very nice area and we saw 2 moose, no deer and it was about as cold as it could be.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:16 PM

Well I definitely understand that the chances for tagaren't the greatest,but you cantwin if you don't play. My sister in law has had pretty good luck with the lottery. Shes got tags 4 out of 7 years now. So the oddsseem to bein her favor.
I've already started looking at topo maps of the areas she has applied for and the terrain doesn't look any rougher than some of theplaces in the Smokies whereIve hunted bear.Long rucks to find a shootable animaldoesn't botherme the walk is half the adventure.
This is probably going to be furthest Ill ever travel to hunt on my own. Military pay and a large Family dose not equate to faroff hunting trips. I've wanted to make a trip to Canada and newfoundland for BIG bucks, bear,caribou,or Moose. But thats a pipe dream until I can kick the kids out of the proverbial nest and retire from the Air force. Now don't get me wrong I am happilygoing to do some real traveling for a hunting trip soon.The military generously fronting the bill for a hunting expedition for the "Great Desert Sand Monkey". I am not sure if my ol' Lady will let me hang one on the wall or how much it'll cost to get one stuffed but those arebridges to becrossed in the future.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

SSgt. Bill,

First of all good luck getting the permit. Moose hunting in Maine isn't that bad but you better find a spot as close to a logging road as possible. The
Sept. hunt is normally the best hunt as they will come out to calling faster
and less waiting time. Early in the morning or an hour before dark is the best time for calling. And of coarse it depends on the weather, if its been hot they do not move much and it becomes harder to find one. Old cuttings are the best to scout out. The trick is to get one to come out to you. I wouldn't try dragging one. Anyhow good luck

Old 02-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I hate to tell you this Bill but you really should concider a bear hunt with guides in Maine because you probably won't get picked for a moose tag in NH Maine or VT. Moose are plentiful in all 3 states and it wouldn't really be a problem getting one down if you had the tags. Taking one out from the woods is a whole different thing and if you haven't had to deal with an animal that size you will be in for a hard time. Lots of moose are spoiled due to poor handling in the field.