Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

N.Y. Crossbows

Old 02-17-2006, 03:55 PM

Default RE: N.Y. Crossbows

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Typical hunting crossbows have an intial KE of ~100 ft-lb, far higher than the typical hunting compound setup.
Initial KEwhat type of factor is that?What is it at 20,25,30 and 35 yards?
Ummmm....

You aren't one of those dim bulbs, are you?

Initial KE is representative of the downrange energy, too, especially if we are discussing projectiles of similar weight and ballistic coefficient.

You can do your own research, if you would like to learn the details, and http://home.att.net/~sajackson/archery.htmlis a great resource.

If you do not feel inclined to plow through the physics, trust me when I tell you that if a crossbow launches a bolt of equal or greater weight to a compound at a higher initial velocity, the KE will be higher at the start and at every point downrange.

What point are you trying to make? Or are you simply interested in trying to perpetuate the pro-crossbow myths and misinformation?
Old 02-17-2006, 04:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P
Kill zone distances are NOT the same. Crossbows, with their shoulder assisted steadiness, scope aided aiming, and higher initial launch velocities, easily outrange compounds in the hands of the typical hunter by 10 - 20 yards.

Care to back that up?
Yea, well - you got me on this one. I have no bulletproof physics to bail me out here. Given that every crossbow hunter I've conversed with (and that's a lot) refers to 3" 40 yd groups or 50 yd groups, I'm speculating a bit.

But since most of the bow hunters I've been around ( and that's quite a few) would have a hard time holding a 3" group at 30 yards, I'm stating it as a fact. I believe that crossbows have a killing zone that is 10-20 yards farther than compounds in the hands of average hunters.

Now, would you care to prove otherwise? You are good at issuing challenges, but I have yet to see you bring some real info.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Now, would you care to prove otherwise?
Why should I? didn't make the statement.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Run what ya brung.
I don't care what you use, bow, rifle, x-bow 's would befine with me;....just go hunt.
Ihave a friend who doesn't bowhunt, but I know for a fact if it was legal ,he would buy, practice and hunt with a x-bow.
I the traditionalists feel threatened get over it.

Is thisweaponis considered traditional?

http://nfo.edu/trebuche.htm