Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

N.Y. Crossbows

Old 02-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: N.Y. Crossbows

im not sure about the season durations in the southern tier,

but what about doing crossbow the last week of bowseason and through muzzleloader season?
but i would not be in favor of another tag for crossbow, either use a bow or ML tag for them.

its called compromise

buck alley, i dont know who your friends are, but anyone that thinks a hunting season is too long is out of their minds. if they get tired of hunting, they can call me up and ill hunt their land for the second half of season
i wish northern zone's seasons were later. i would say move the gun season back a week(starting and ending date), and fill in the week with an extra week of bow/ML/X-bow season. I dont think we need any earlier season in september.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

I have stated earlier I do feel it could have a place in NYS, perhaps if had its own separate season I would consider one myself.
Where are they going to find time for that seperate season?You willing to give up a week of hunting with the bow to give them taht seperate season?
Yup - I'd give up a week of early bowseason to keep bow season exclusive. I'd also suggest they be allowed in late archery season - but we'd have to change the name to late bow / crossbow season.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

This link has a comparison chart.

http://www.disabledrights.org/cases/OR_Report.rtf
Eeeeewwww. Not a comparison chart.

The bow/arrow wgt combinations are a joke, and the xbow is hardly representative of a modern day stringgun. If you want to get into the details of the physics, I'm your huckleberry (as they say).

But, first look at your 2005 Cabela's catalog. The average fps for xbows is 320 fps with a 420 gr bolt ("arrow") while the average of the IBO speeds for the bows is 295 fps with a 350 gr arrow. The 420 gr bolt is typical for a hunting crossbow setup, the IBO setup on a bow is not.... typical hunting arrows would be a fair bit heavier, dropping the initial launch velocity by a lot.

Typical hunting crossbows have an intial KE of ~100 ft-lb, far higher than the typical hunting compound setup.

I respect the organization for trying to help disabled hunters - I try to do that too. But let's call a spade a spade.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:44 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Some ones missing the point, there will be very few xtra hunters in the woods if you put xbow during archery season.The influx will be the old bow hunters that have been in your woods for years, but now would have a weapon that they can use again thesame archery hunters that been there all the time. Answer me why are us hunters/ bow/ gun always fighting among our selves. Peta and others do'nt have to spend a buck to fight against us, we do there job! Oh! yea nyb assoc. sucks they can screw up a one car funeral. Rich
Old 02-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

After reading this all, it's clear this might be on par with AR in the state

I still think x-bow's have a place in our hunting season (in general). It appears the biggest "threat" is the sanctity of a bow season without compromise, whether or not x-bow should be included. I think NY misses out on huntable time at the back end of the season, for sure.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:26 PM

When I first corresponded with the person Ironhorse refers to in post #34 a few years ago, I asked him whether he could perhaps use a regular bow equipped with a draw-loc and the answer was no.

When the NY crossbows for the disabled issue was brought up a while back, one of the arguments against relaxing requirements for the disabled to use crossbows was the claim that every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a torn hangnail would be getting a permit. While there is always the possibility of someone trying to cheat the system, it is sad that NY bowhunters are more interested in making sure that a few potential bad apples are kept out rathger than allowing those who are disabled to be able to use a crossbow and enjoy bowhunting.

While crossbows may take less effort to become proficient, all other aspects are shared as it pertains to bowhunting. Scouting, range estimation, and kill zone distances remain the same. Not having to draw in the presence of game is a moot point for unless the crossbow is already shouldered, the user still has to incur motion that may be detectable.

Old 02-16-2006, 03:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Tim4Trout

it is sad that NY bowhunters are more interested in making sure that a few potential bad apples are kept out rathger than allowing those who are disabled to be able to use a crossbow and enjoy bowhunting.

Agreed. There is no reason not to allow the physically challenged access to crossbows in NY.

ORIGINAL: Tim4Trout
While crossbows may take less effort to become proficient, all other aspects are shared as it pertains to bowhunting. Scouting, range estimation, and kill zone distances remain the same. Not having to draw in the presence of game is a moot point for unless the crossbow is already shouldered, the user still has to incur motion that may be detectable.
Now you went and screwed it up.

Lobbying for the physically able, you need to resort to the same, tired old crossbow spin.

Kill zone distances are NOT the same. Crossbows, with their shoulder assisted steadiness, scope aided aiming, and higher initial launch velocities, easily outrange compounds in the hands of the typical hunter by 10 - 20 yards.

Your bullcrap rhetoric about shouldering and drawing will not ring true with those of us in NY who have killed deer at 25 yards with a bow and a shotgun. We know which one was more challenging to draw a bead on .... and you do, too.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah TJ, Itell my buddies they are all whimps!! But honestly they do hunt real hard. They track & drive deer in some large tracts of public land. Once they get on a buck they won't quit until he's down or daylight ends. I've seen a couple of these guys actually wear deer down going after them.
I believe part of the problem with the crossbow push is the way it was started from the beginning, and the big push from crossbow manufacturers to get it legalized in any state it can to make $. I don't know every detail about it, nor pretend too. But I believe those reasons is part of why some people firmly believe including NYB, that all attempts to get the crossbow into NYS hunting seasons is a step in the door towards NY archery season. Thats really the x-bow lobbyist main goal. Its unfortunate that thehandicapped personsunableto use a bow, even when equipped with special devicesare the ones loosing out.That I believe is up to the DEC to modify its present requirements for a Crossbow permit.I don't agree with preventing that for the sake of stopping a few from abusingit.
On the flip side NYB does have a intense Physically Challenged program, and have done wonders for many handicapped individuals. That I do know.
As far as going back and forth over this issue amongst ourselves, and it feeds the anti groups. I could careless what they think. No matter what we do as hunters its wrong in their eyes. We as a whole are no good to them no matter what we do. The Pope could go arrow a animal, and they'd label him a bad person. Like I said before I think it just shows how strong we feel abouthunting!
Old 02-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Typical hunting crossbows have an intial KE of ~100 ft-lb, far higher than the typical hunting compound setup.
Initial KEwhat type of factor is that?What is it at 20,25,30 and 35 yards?
Old 02-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yup - I'd give up a week of early bowseason to keep bow season exclusive.
Maybe you would I wouldn't.

Kill zone distances are NOT the same. Crossbows, with their shoulder assisted steadiness, scope aided aiming, and higher initial launch velocities, easily outrange compounds in the hands of the typical hunter by 10 - 20 yards.

Care to back that up?

Quick Reply: N.Y. Crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.