Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

N.Y. Crossbows

Old 02-14-2006, 04:09 PM

Default RE: N.Y. Crossbows

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

everyone was able/capable to shoot shotguns & rifles yet someone had the sense/vision to allow us to be able to hunt with muzzleloaders. now why was that??
Yea - and they had the "sense/vision" to make it a different season, too.

I see nothing they (NYB) have done for my bowhunting experience . but they did, ineffect, reduce my potential ML experience.
Are you crazy? They protected your bowhunting experience from the stupid and ill planned MZ experience.

Are you a bowhunter, or not? How you answer the question will explain a lot about your position on MZ....AND crossbows.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: BuckAlley

I've never wrote I feel the Crossbow is a Superior weapon by means of yardage, energy, and penetration. I've stated I feel its a superior weapon in ways that it doesn't have to be drawn to make a shot, and the factof it being mounted on a gun like stock makes it easier tomaster its shooting abilities over a bow.
I feel it is....

If you compare the typical hunting crossbow to the typical hunting compound, the crossbow wins hands down. KE, initial velocity, drop.......all of them are advantage crossbow.

Sure, we can find some specific examples that would buck the trend, but that doesn't change the fact that the crossbow has ballistic advantage. Add to that the advantage of not having to draw or hold, 1 plane sighting, fixed ballistics, etc.....

Its a different animal. It does NOT belong in bow season.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ama HUNTER. I love bow season, I love gun season, I love ML season.
I don't think they necessarily need to include xbow in bow season or not all of bow season. but I think there could be room for them somewhere. along with late bow/ML, maybe for a week in the beginning of bow or a week somewhere in gun season????
Old 02-14-2006, 05:00 PM

I'm stunned.....a rational response (and I'm not being sarcastic.) I am used to all or nothing rhetoric, yelling, screaming, gnashing of teeth.

I agree. No reason not to include xbow somewhere, but no reason to force it into all of bow season. Your proposal sounds well thought out and fair, and I would help you support it.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you compare the typical hunting crossbow to the typical hunting compound, the crossbow wins hands down. KE, initial velocity, drop.......all of them are advantage crossbow.
Can you back that statement up?
Old 02-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

This link has a comparison chart.

http://www.disabledrights.org/cases/OR_Report.rtf
Old 02-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have stated earlier I do feel it could have a place in NYS, perhaps if had its own separate season I would consider one myself.
Where are they going to find time for that seperate season?You willing to give up a week of hunting with the bow to give them taht seperate season? I'd personally rather share a week then loose a week, or should they just get to hunt after the gun season?
Old 02-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

IRONHORSE - can't make your point without the profanity?

Steve
Old 02-15-2006, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

I haven't read this entire thread so maybe this option has already been posted. Several of my friend's fathers stopped bow hunting when they hit their 60's-reasons were inability toshoot their bows accurately enough either due toeyesight issues orstrength lossin their upper body. These people loved to hunt as they continued to gun hunt another 10-15 years. I have never used a cross bow but I am assuming that the single plane sighting and having the bow already cocked would have enabled these older hunter's to still enjoy the sport of "bowhunting". I feel that the rules should be loosened up so besides disabled hunter's anyone over the age of 60 should have the option to use a crossbow in the regular archery season.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mr. Ironhorse you continually seem to want to basically call me a liar, back peddler, cannabal, and I'm full of Bull****, and a crock of s**t!! If you can't respond to my postings with more respect please don't bother at all.
The Bull**** you speak of was sent to me as a e-mail from the former NWTF NYS Chapter president himself. It was sent out to several members at the time of occurance informing the NYS chapter membership of the computer hacking incident.Call it what you want, butthats what I recieved, period.
You claim you hold no animosity against any hunting organizations. Somehow I find that very hard to believe with your comments about NYB!!!
If you want to speak of back peddling, didn't the original crossbow campaign advertise the crossbow with accurate shooting capabilities out to 60yds in attempt to draw in more hunters? Does it advertise that now??
You cannot fully blame NYB for changes or lack of change with the Southern Tier hunting season. Yes they worked to keep the ML out of archery season, yes they tried to get the archery season extended becasue of the lost wknd for the Sat. Reg. season opener. NYB wasn't against the Sat. opener. They simply wanted time made up for the wknd lost to bowhunting. NYB wasn't againstmore ML hunting opportunity. They just didn't want it occuring during archery season.Safety was one of those reasons. The DEC wanted to place the ML in the middle of archery season. Not the wk before the Reg. season, becasue they were concerned the deer would become spooky for the reg. season opener. But yet its been that very way in the Northern Tier since the ML seasonbegan. DEC's original proposal for the ML 7 day wk. was for WMU's that had the population to warrant a earlier ML gun season. During that 7 day period noone would've been allowed to use a bow even in WMU's a ML season wasn't open. I also attended a meeting on this, and the vast majority of attendee's wasopposed to a ML season in the middle of archery season. This just wasn't NYB's feelings, it was the vast majority of NYS Hunters, including small game hunters. Thats why the proposed ML season was put aside for now. So whose in denial here???

As faras a separate x-box season. I know it seems difficult to do. But I honestly feel if the DEC would become more open to the fall season, there would be a possible way. Idon't see why the DEC cannotchange season dates, starting earlier in the fall for both zones tomake room for more opportunities.I'd like to see more ML opportunity. I don't agree 7 days in the north, and a late season only in the south is right. The northern zone could be readjusted alot to open up more time for all. Why not start N. archery Sept 1st to mid Sept.. Why not give ML season 10-14daysin the North. Perhaps a wk of X-bow, or overlap x-bow w/ ML. Why is Northern Reg season the longest hunting season, being nearly 2 months in length! At the end of the North Reg. season many of my hunting friends say to me, man I'm glad its over, they are just wore out, and had enough. Most of them agree its too long. I really feel a better system is very possible to create more opportunities for all of us.

Quick Reply: N.Y. Crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.