Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

N.Y. Crossbows

Old 02-11-2006, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: N.Y. Crossbows

Do crossbows BELONG in bow season?
Sure, why not? I'm still waiting for a reason why it shouldn't be.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sylvan, I'd like to attempt and answer that question for you.
Archery Hunters are found to be some of the most ethical hunters in the hunting woods. We take great pride in the sport we all love. We spend uncountable hrs tinkering with our equipment, practicing yr around to ensure we grip anchor and release perfectly every shot. We know a lack in practice often results in poor shooting. We attend archery shoots, 3d's. This on top of the time in the woods scouting, our setups to get that deer within close range for a undetectable draw & shot. More times than not it doesn't happen for us, but we love it all the same. Its the excitement of being out there, and witnessing things other forms of hunting don't get. Thats one reason archery season is so long. The odds of being successful with archery equipment in a shorter season would be much less. Can you honestly say other type of hunters put in more time to their sport than archery hunters? We are a very proud group!
Now you bring in a different weapon, one that takes less time to learn to shoot well. Heck I watched a group of city slickers on Ted's Dead or Alive show shoot the crossbow at a target, and hit bullseyes. It was the first time any had ever shot a weapon of any kind! Its also obvious that the crossbow has the advantage of not needing to be drawn to shoot at oncoming game. Anyway you look at it the crossbow IS NOT archery equipment that we presently use in Archery season. It has distinctive advantages over present archery equipment. No other NY Big Game season has different weapons that carry such a significant difference or advantage. Should our present archery season be any different. Why should we taint it with a superior weapon? Granted if you have two hunters in treestands with a bow & X-bow its not going to effect them. But I can guarentee you the X-bow has better odds with his equipment of getting a shot off over a compound! If you look at the harvest reports, and user statistics of states that allow both weapons in a season. You'll see that the X-bow hunters harvest more deer, and is used by more hunters. The Ohio reportsare well known by archery organizations. Is it fair to us archery hunters to allow that sort of weapon into the same woods at the same time? A weapon that takes less practice to use, and even less effort to harvest game with, becasue of its advantages. Is it fair to lower the very ethics we've lived by, and loved for so many yrs?
Old 02-12-2006, 11:32 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

BuckAlley hate to tell you i pay federal excise tax on all my xbow equipment that i buy, if uncle sam says its archery equpment its than it is. Now if you do a little studing about the xbox you will find out that is not very good past 40yrds, and its not this super weapon you think.When i was able to use a bow i got a deer at around 75yrds with my bow,i know but i did it.Like i said earlier i hunted in states that permit xbows and i did not run into any other hunters, so i don't think us guys will kill or contaminate your woods,while we hunt.Wake up folks you will get old, and your body will give you fits, so if your like me ,i still want and will continue to huntand enjoy the outdoors the good lord gave us. OH! you think there easy carry one around for awhile you'll change your tune. Rich
Old 02-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

BuckAlley,
So essentially you are saying you oppose the xbow in archery season because it isn't fair. Because the xbow hunters have a better chance of harvesting a deer. Well I don't see this as a question of fairness at all. Is it fair to use a compound 300ft/sec plus arrow when their are guys out there with a long bow? If everyone has the same opportunity then in my opinion it is fair. introducing the xbow in archery season won't effect archers. You admitted that. So the archer has the choice to continue hunting with his recurve or compound or try the xbow if he wants to improve his chances. Its up to everybody. That's fair!

Is it fair to us archery hunters to allow that sort of weapon...
A line like this is really offensive to me and I believe a lot of other hunters. Where do the "archery hunters" get off with the attitude that it is for them to "allow" any type of activity during the season. The woods are owned by all not just the archery hunters.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:36 PM

I see it this way if it is your bag then do it I only ask this much.
Please practice with your xbow & please be sure of your shot just as I have to with my compound.
I don't think that is to much to ask!
Have fun hunting.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Now you bring in a different weapon, one that takes less time to learn to shoot well. Heck I watched a group of city slickers on Ted's Dead or Alive show shoot the crossbow at a target, and hit bullseyes
You saying you can't do the same thing with the modern compound bow?

It has distinctive advantages over present archery equipment.
Like what the compound is more accurate and less cumbersome to shoot.I bet a arrow carries more KE and pentration then a bolt. So what are all of the advantages that a crossbow has?

I don't shoot year round and have no problem becoming deadly efficiant when I hit the woods. You do noy have to shoot a compound year round to be able to hunt with it. Maybe trad equipment but not a compound.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: RWK

BuckAlley hate to tell you i pay federal excise tax on all my xbow equipment that i buy, if uncle sam says its archery equpment its than it is.
CROSSBOW MYTH. It turns out that crossbows are taxed at the same rate as centerfires....its just a matter of what bucket you put it in.

The fed's absolutely DO NOT define a crossbow as a bow. If they did, why would the USFWS allow bows for waterfowl but not crossbows?

They may list it as "archery" for tax purposes, but when it comes to hunting its a different category. I think we should follow Uncle Sam's lead.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

So what are all of the advantages that a crossbow has?

A CROSSBOW DOES NOT NEED TO BE DRAWN IN THE PRESENCE OF GAME

A CROSSBOW DOES NOT NEED TO BE HELD AT FULL DRAW BY MANUAL POWER WHILE LINING UP A SHOT

Old 02-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Any others?

They have a bow out now that has a 99% let off, so I guess that should be illegal.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

They have a bow out now that has a 99% let off

What bow is that????????????????????????????

Quick Reply: N.Y. Crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.