Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

N.Y. Crossbows

Old 02-10-2006, 03:49 PM

Default RE: N.Y. Crossbows

The biggest reason is also the simplest...its not bowhunting.

What is the difference to you if someone is sitting in a tree stand some distance away from you if they are using a longbow, recurve, compound or cross bow?

You could ask the same question about flintlocks, too, and it wouldn't change the answer.

I have NO problem with a separate season for crossbows - but crossbow hunters are not bowhunters. They do not belong in bow season.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:11 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

THE SOURCE your missing the point you and other archers do, and i mean you and others do'nt own the season or the woods. Like i said earlier iprobably beenhunting, when you were just a dream in your dads family jewels. There is room for all of us NY. a big place and theres enough of game if they (dec)get there sh-t together. PS i pay tax on my stuff just like its archery equipment, federal law saysso its archery equipment. Have a good day every one! Rich
Old 02-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Source and RWK,

I think you are both right. Yes a crossbow hunter is not a bow hunter, nor would it fit under the classification of archery.... so I agree we possibly need a seperate season, but what we need is for bowhunters, which I am, to stand up and speak and say, why not give them a time frame for themselves. Okay, it is a start, but I think too many of the bowhunters are sitting back and saying let it take its course, as I have said before if that would have happened in the 70s with the traditionalist or archers, or bowhunters, the compound bow would be just and I believe just a museum piece, rather they kept fighting and we see where it came.

And yes RWK the woods belong to everyone not just hunters. It is all in words.... and we should not be squabbling over words but sqaubbling with the law makers and some others for a week or weekend or three days, whatever it takes to get it on the books. Then we can move forward, but REALLY,REALLY, REALLY..... until we all say, we agree that crossbows should be allowed, then we ALL sit down and say, hey how are we gonna approach this and come up with a plan, that bowhunters, gun hunters, muzzleloader and maybe even blow gun hunters along with crossbow hunters can agree on..... then move forward. ANd I am not sure how much older RWK is then me, but I do know, if we don't stop fighting in the ranks..... the antis will begin to exploit it, if they all ready haven't...... believe me, military experience tells me that a "team" that doesn't fight together, doesn't win!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2006, 12:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is the difference to you if someone is sitting in a tree stand some distance away from you if they are using a longbow, recurve, compound or cross bow?
The biggest reason is also the simplest...its not bowhunting.
thesource,
With all due respect, that really doesn't answer the question. That's just a statement and it doesn't address what differrence it makes to your bow hunting if somebody is sitting in another tree with a cross bow vs a compound. Lot's of things are "not bowhunting" but certainly have no significant negative impact on your sport. How about if somebody is in a tree stand just with a camera? That's not bowhunting. Really, please answer the question. How are you negatively effected by a guy in your area cross bow hunting any more than you would be by the guy hunting with a compound. WIth regard to the flintlock, although I wouldn't have a problem with that eitherI could at least understand theargument that it makes a lot of noise when it shoots, thus disturbing the game more than archery equipment (including xbow) but for the life of me, I just can't see how anybody is adversely effected by the xbow vssome other kind of bow.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sylvan, that is a good point. Compound, tradition, or crossbow, what is the difference?

I still say we need to stop working together and quit splitting ourselves.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

This is a standard question that every pro crossbow guy feels compelled to ask and feel clever about.

Its irrelevant....I believe the true significance is at a higher level than our personal hunting ground, don't you think?

For example - How are you negatively effected by a guy getting mugged in Central Park while you are walking in Times Square?

You are not - but that doesn't mean that you should condone muggings.

I believe you already understand that it is the principle of the thing - bows aren't crossbows, crossbows aren't bows - and are just trying to be clever.

Crossbows need to be discussed and decided based on the operational and functional aspects - not on some imaginary single hunter in a single tree causing no negative effect.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

So its clear, by your refusal to answer, that someone hunting with a cross bow doesn't effect you any more than someone hunting with a recurve, longbow or compound. Thank you.

Your comparison to the mugging is just ridiculous. You are comparing a clearly feloneous act with that of someone deer hunting. Come on! We're discussing whether or not a cross bow should be allowed as a legal hunting implement during the archery season. So far, you haven't presented any argument against it other than to use your words, "its not bowhunting".As far as I'm concerned, those who have argued to allow it have won the debate hands down.

Personally, I don't really care. I'll be using my compound regardless of whether the xbow is made legal or not.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:12 AM

Personally, it won't impact me either. Private property can be posted "No Crossbows" in a blink of an eye.

Because we are shielded from the effect, does that mean there will be no effect?

That's why your question is a dumb one.

You could hunt in bowseason with a .300 WSM and it would have no impact on my hunting.

You need to raise your arguement to a higher level - principle, operation, function.

Do crossbows BELONG in bow season?

When we can all agree on the answer to THAT question, then we can begin to discuss what the impact might be.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about if we present the debate this way... The archery season is replaced totally by a cross bow season. Then we can argue whether or not the recurve, longbow and compound can be used during cross bow season. No my original question is not dumb at all. You desperately want it to be dumb because it exposes that you have no legitamate argument against xbowuse in the archery season. Like I said, as far as I'm concerned you've clearly lost the debate. In fact I'd say you really haven't even shown up for it. No disrespect intended, I do understand you just don't want it around you but I just don't see that you've presented any legitamate argument.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Because we are shielded from the effect, does that mean there will be no effect?
I asked you to explain what the effect is, but you haven't done it.

Quick Reply: N.Y. Crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.