Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

N.Y. Crossbows

Old 01-25-2006, 05:08 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default N.Y. Crossbows

After looking at the Feb. 6th issuse of outdoor new, i see the the state sales of license is down. Its time for the politicans see that they can increase sales by adding a crossbow season during our seasons. I hope that organizations that been fighting this , wake up that were all sports men and women and we would welcome this. Rich
Old 01-25-2006, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: N.Y. Crossbows

ORIGINAL: RWK

After looking at the Feb. 6th issuse of outdoor new, i see the the state sales of license is down. Its time for the politicans see that they can increase sales by adding a crossbow season during our seasons. I hope that organizations that been fighting this , wake up that were all sports men and women and we would welcome this. Rich
License sales is probably the last reason why I would support crossbow hunting....

Why not early muzzleloader...or any number of other seasons..?

If it doesn't have merit as a season in its own right then there is no reason to create one....IMHO
Old 01-26-2006, 05:03 PM

License sales are down for many reasons....lack of crossbows is WAY down on the list.

Are you proposing a separate season for xbow, or are you suggesting they should be added to bowseason?

That makes a pretty big difference in the level of support you would have for your proposal.

Regardless, anyone with a lick of sense knows that xbows are not the magic bullet that will increase hunter numbers.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

My crossbow stance gets me shot at. I'm all for X-bow.

However, I'm not for it as an end-all cure, nor as a seperate season. I understand record maintenance is a big deal with bow hunters (I am a tri-season hunter).

I think X-bow will get more licenses sold, but not at the point of helping sales numbers. Instead I think it is a way to help us hunters. It's another tool to get people into the woods. I'd give it a try after seeing them in action in the south. Would it replace my bow hunting? NO.

I think the real advantage is in the crowd that doesn't bow hunt by skill, or ability. There are a large number of ex-bow hunters who simply can't pull the vertical bow back anymore (namely elders, and injured hunters, physically challenged {beyond the VERY STRICT NY X-Bow requirement now}).

For the records deal, make a seperate category. However, those overly concerned with records should look in the mirror a bit longer. Yes, records matter, but only to an extent. If it means getting my (hypothetical) grandpa in the woods for an extra couple days, then those records mean squat to me. Make a seperate category, and go from there I say.

Old 01-27-2006, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

I think the real advantage is in the crowd that doesn't bow hunt by skill, or ability.
I'm guessing that you've never hunted with a crossbow , I own two of them and hunting with one most definitely requires most if not all of the skills required of vertical bows . Try one on targets , you'll see .
Old 01-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

hunting with one most definitely requires most if not all of the skills required of vertical bows .
I think a better analogy would be: similar to shooting a gun at bow hunting ranges (adjustable sights/scope, trigger, "pre-loaded", but still need to have deer in close).

I don't have a big problem with crossbows. Woods are big enough for everybody. Everyone is alway quick to go to the ME ME ME mentality. I definitely think they should have a seprate license and it's own season (either part of archery - 1 week? or something similar. I personally wouldn't get one if they were legal - Have all I can do with bow, gun, & ML.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

my answer is to get more kids into it lower the bowhunting age to 12 and you will get more hunters hunting for life . imo crossbows should be allowed to older hunters that aren't comfortable pulling a compound back
Old 01-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

I think the real advantage is in the crowd that doesn't bow hunt by skill, or ability.
I'm guessing that you've never hunted with a crossbow , I own two of them and hunting with one most definitely requires most if not all of the skills required of vertical bows . Try one on targets , you'll see .
How can you not see I'm talking about the actual pulling back of the bow while in an elevated stand, and maintaining the stance to shoot? That is the difference, there old elite one
Old 01-27-2006, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: kevin1 hunting with one most definitely requires most if not all of the skills required of vertical bows .
Eeks.

Well, somebody has to say it. Might as well be me.

It requires none of the skills required to shoot a vertical bow.

Hold - You hold a bow with one hand. Holding a crossbow is akin to holding a rifle.

Draw - You draw a bow in the presence of game. You have a limited timeframe with which to capitalize on the drawn bow. You draw the crossbow at the truck, with both hands and one foot...then you are good to go indefinitely.

Anchor - You better anchor with a bow. Your shoulder is the anchor with a crossbow.

Aim - Two planes of reference with a bow. Peer through a scope with a crossbow - just like your gun!

Release - Whether it be fingers or a release, technique matters with a bow. Crossbow - just like a gun (again)

Follow Through - critical with a bow. Irrelevant with a crossbow.

Crossbows require absolutely no archery skill. Sorry if that offends anyone.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:40 PM

thesource,

I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER!

THANK YOU!!!
J-Bow

Quick Reply: N.Y. Crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.