Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Could it be that overhunting is not the problem in PA? >

Could it be that overhunting is not the problem in PA?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Could it be that overhunting is not the problem in PA?

Old 01-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Could it be that overhunting is not the problem in PA?

Shaggers in rd has a huge beech flat that's just loaded with bear and turkeys during a good mast crop.the woods are terrible and even the tornado area has nothing but junk growing.That area had too many deer for too long.

They didn't want maple a few years ago but hard maple is bringing in a better price today than red oak.That comes directly from a forester from DCNR and one from the US forest service.Deer will hit the red maple hard but it quickly grows out of the deer's reach.Go check out that big exclosure on Rocton mountain.They took the fence down two years ago after 15 years.It's nothing but red maple that's out of the deer's reach now.It's too bad they didn't take the fence down about 7or 8 years ago.It was thick as a dog's back and still within the deer's reach.Now it has no benefit to the deer what so ever.It probably would have taken the pressure off the surrounding woods where nothing is growing beneath the canopy.

Light is important and no one is denying it but there should still be an understory.Parker Damhas no understory at all.It's nothing but barren wasteland for deer.The next time you're up at camp,give me a call.I know of some exclosures that were fenced under a heavy canopy.You'd be surprised what's growing under there.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll give ya a ring Doug.If you get a chance check on the fenced area off bloom RD.You can see it from the road at the bend.It looks like there was a fire there some time ago.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Will do.I have to go up that way this week anyway.The next time you're up,we should take a road trip and check out some of the newer exclosures.