Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Could it be that overhunting is not the problem in PA? >

Could it be that overhunting is not the problem in PA?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Could it be that overhunting is not the problem in PA?

Old 01-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Could it be that overhunting is not the problem in PA?

The acorns and black cherries were abundant at our camp off Wallace Mines Rd. this year. Deer were virtually non-existent.
We generally hunt bear at the tornado area off Shagger's Inn Rd., between Little Medix and Medix Runs. I never saw so much 'yote scat in my life!! I'll bet I saw 25 piles. Full of deer hair.
I consider myself to be a reasonable person, willing to hear what people have to say about things and listening to all sides----I am, however, beginning to get a bellyful of the PGC and DCNR propaganda concerning the deer situation in that area. 2G is close to ruined for deer hunting. Period.
Stay tuned for further breaking developments--------
Old 01-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get used to it.That area is state forest and Rendell has no interest in hunting.His philly boys have other plans that include more atv trails and lots of other recreation.Everything except hunting.They're making that quite clear.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah---- I read the post under Pa Wilds----- just really puts the shivers down your spine when you read some of the idiocy coming from that crowd. How in the world do people like Krempasky get to make decisions for the rest of us??? This guy is a complete fool making statements like he did. Public outcry is needed-------
Old 01-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

you are right on.rendell is one that needs put out out of office.he is up for election.its funny ,most of DCNR people like him very much. we have to send him message ,loud and clear.hunters can do it too,1 million husbands and 1 million wives voting.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man I don't know whats going on.Seems hunters have no voice anymore.I was told that more people spoke about staying the coarse for herd reduction then those against it.That might be fine for private land holdings with timber and farmers but it's bad news for public land.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can anyone give some advice for finding yote dens. I think the better way to deal with them is to target their dens and kill them and their young. Sounds like a goodstrategy for preserving deer hunting opportunities.
If you find a den, will the adults hang around or will they abandon them. Would be nice strategy to drag the pups out and make them scream to lure the adults in and shoot them also.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

no doubt that yotes are killing fawns, penn state survey or not.the biggest predator is hunter.when all this doe killing started,thats when deer started to disappear.i agree, i never saw so many yotes as i do now, never. as for dens,i dont know but many experts on that here.couple years ago you could shoot 5 deer.thats terrible.i saw more doe killed 2 years ago ,now no deer. it is overhunting, no doubt about that and yotes dont help what is left.we need a new governor, for sure.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The word needs to get out. I don't think the general public knows what is going on. The bad part is that unless they are hunters, most of them don't really care. I dn't know if the sportsman's clubs can help with this or not. Some of the members are guaranteed to be Rendell supporters'and probably won't support an initiative of that type.
Also, any campaign or effort to educate the public must be done very carefully---- nobody wants sued for slander or liebel
Just don't know how to stop this administration from ruining what's left. Unless the opposing party picks up some speed, or Rendell makes a glaring political blunder, I'm afraid he'll get re-elected.
HELP!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know the area around your camp well.I never hunted it much except during bear season.I did kill a dmap doe this yearoff of Tyler road on opening day of archery season.There was lots of sign in places but the habitat is terrible in that area.I spend a fair amount of time in there this past Septemeber and agree that the herd is way down but the habitat is the limiting factor now that the tornado area is in the pole timber stage.I almost stepped on a big black phase rattlesnake on day.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shaggers Inn Rd Doug.Up the road about a mile or two on the righthand side.Talk about beech taking over!
My problem is that they aren't addressing the other factors concerning regen and habitat.I realize acid rain is a tough one to tackle even the PH of the soil is.But the canopy is one area they can improve.
Now maple is not one of the desired species they would like to have.Although they did say the maples are good for tourism.
It will be interesting to see how the low deer numbers will affect the maple growth which shades out alot of slower growing trees.With less deer less maples get browsed which in turn will help that maple growth.

Quick Reply: Could it be that overhunting is not the problem in PA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.