Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Could it be that overhunting is not the problem in PA? >

Could it be that overhunting is not the problem in PA?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Could it be that overhunting is not the problem in PA?

Old 01-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Could it be that overhunting is not the problem in PA?

I've been thinkin BT.I archery hunt with bears,yotes,skunks and even fishers.Not to mention maniacs running around with shotguns and rifles.But I'll be darned if I'm hunting with aliens.So if we find out that's what got those collared deer I'm outta there.I quit!

Doug,the lack of beechnuts sure isn't helping deer or just about any game.This blight the beechnuts has is bad news.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:43 PM

Coyotes don't only eat Deer and game they eat apples,grapes,grasses ect..

Old 01-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

That pic hit the spot, I just finished gorging myself on a rack of ribs.[:'(]
Thanks!
Old 01-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

doug, here is what i think is happening to fawns here in pa.i never in my life saw so many coyotes as this year. i saw 11 from dec to now,some could have been same ones,i dont know. i started looking at scat or poo as some dont know that.after the heavy snow we had in first week of rifle season , i started checking the scat. it was all over. i did not see 1 turd with deer hair in it.then snow melted, boy, coyotye turds all over . guess what, every turd i looked at AFTER snow melted was full of deer hair. i think those turds may have been there for months. my conclusion is they were eating FAWNS . no one is seeing fawns here in our area but tons of coyotes. i saw many fawns killed while fishing in june.i saw coyotes run them right down. poor fawn was screaming. i saw 2 fawns killed in 1 hour with 5 doe. so, this is my opinion on what is happening ,then throw in hunters that are killing fawns,you dont have much left.take care.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

great picture but that is not what turds look like here in my area. they look like swisher sweet cigars,ha. could you get picture of a coyote track so we all know what one looks like.thanks
Old 01-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boy oh boy.That tootsie roll just came back up.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

It looks like mlo3135127 really knows his sch!t
Old 01-17-2006, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Germain,I'm not a real big fan of beech trees as far as the habitat goes.It does produce mast as you mentioned but the mast is often spotty at best.Most beech stands are poor habitat.Beech doesn't even need a seed to germinate.They root sprout and quickly overwhelm an area,choking out other preffered foods.The next time your up this way,give me a call and I'll show you some areas that the beech has completly taken over.I bet we won't find a single track inthere.

Theacorn crop was awesome this year and that should help the deer through this winter.If this winter stays mild,next year should be a better year with nicer bucks.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sproulman,almost every pile of scat I see has deer hair in it.I don' think the coyote population has exploded around here in the last few years.There's always been alot for as long as I can remeber.They're just way too hard to get rid of.Back in the early nineties when there were alot of deer,I used to see just as many coyote tracks as deer tracks behind my mother's house.

No one brought the coyotes in.The coyotes are in every state and they've always been in Pa.That would mean every state brought them in.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

doug, i was out last week and found no deer hair in the yote poo, not 1.now, that was fresh poo not old . what do you think of this idea. we are getting all kinds of acorns lately and apples. so much feed that deer that are left are not eating apples. i brought up at harrisburg meeting about giving every hunter a chestnut tree to plant on state forerstland in their hunting area.i million trees could be planted per year. you should have seen faces on the DCNR reps that were there.it was like, WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE BUDDY. it just seems that no plans are made to keep and feed deer ,only to get rid of them. its all about money/jobs now and deer are ones that are losing.take care.

Quick Reply: Could it be that overhunting is not the problem in PA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.