Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 To all the Maryland Hunters >

To all the Maryland Hunters

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

To all the Maryland Hunters

Old 01-08-2006, 04:01 PM

Default RE: To all the Maryland Hunters

DW, you guys got busted. The best thing to do when that happens is not move a muscle. Don't make any noise and don't look directly at them either. It's 50/50 whether they will run off or think that nothing was there. Being on the ground is tough when they see you though.

I am surprised that you have never heard a deer make noise. I hear them all the time bleating, grunting and snorting. Of course you don't want to hear the snort.

I ended up staying in Fri and Sat and working around the house. I was debating on Thurs night and decided if I had to think about it, I shouldn't go. [&:]
Old 01-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear them all the time bleating, grunting and snorting.
I think it depends on whatareayou are located. Some populations seem to be much more vocal than others.

I hear deer snort all the time, but rarely do I hear deer bleating,(except lost fawns in the spring/summer), and I have still yet to hear one grunt!
Old 01-08-2006, 06:27 PM

The deer at my friend's property in Lisbon seem to be the most vocal of any areas that I hunt. The bucks always respond to grunt calls there. I have tried it in other areas and the bucks don't even pay attention to me. The does seem to grunt with their mouths closed. It is a very quiet grunt. I only hear the bleats from young deer as well. I said that because DW said he had never heard deer before.
Everywhere I hunt, I have heard deer snort at me. That is a horrible feeling because you know you have been busted. If I am walking to me stand, I will try a low snort or grunt to try to make them feel at ease. I will either stop moving or sometimes I have bent over so I look like an animal in the dark. One time I crawled on all fours to within 30 yards of a young doe in broad daylight. I would do light grunts when she looked at me. I was just screwing around to see if it would work. I don't think it would work on an older doe or buck. If they snort at me in my stand, I just stay motionless.
The foot stomping thing is just to get you to move. They also put their heads down and pretend to eat or not notice you and then pick their heads up again. Just don't move when they are doing this.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

The only sound i ever heard before yesterday was the young deer when they were lost.
I did not even know they had a sound for pain until yesterday. I was telling my friend, I said " you know, cats meow loudly when hurt, dogs yelp, but do deer have a sound for pain, cause i never heard it. He assured me they do. But again i never heard them before yesterday.
I should mention that i am deaf in my left ear so that may have something to do with it. But those deer snorting yesterday were pretty loud.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

One time I crawled on all fours to within 30 yards of a young doe in broad daylight. I would do light grunts when she looked at me.
Holy ...., I thought I was only one....I did almost the identical thing in the summer in a field of tall grass, only I mouth bleated and barely moved...the doe came to me!!

It's amazing how comforatable theycan bewhen you keep them confused!
Old 01-09-2006, 01:12 AM

anyone got a pic of a squarrel

Old 01-09-2006, 06:26 AM

jcchartboy, I didn't think anyone else would try that either. Now I got some backup when someone calls BS to that story. I thought about it after it happened and figured that was one way the American Indians might have hunted.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

ive had this happen many of times thru the yrs. ive done alot of reading on deer glands and scent. the whitetail has a gland inbetween their hooves called the interdigital gland, when they stomp like that that release a strong ( danger ) scent. when a deer comes threw the area in the next hr or so they will know that there was danger in that area. I think when they bob their head is how they get you to move, usually theyll do that first then stomp and then blow or snort. A whitetail is an awesome animal you can never learn enuff about em.