HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   what gun for black bear (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/126905-what-gun-black-bear.html)

GREEK HUNTER 12-30-2005 07:19 AM

what gun for black bear

ok guys going to canada for spring bear... what gun would you use .270 or a 6.5x55 swed mauser.

Rob/PA Bowyer 12-30-2005 08:14 AM

RE: what gun for black bear

Either is more than adequate for black bear, your choice.

patrkyhntr 12-30-2005 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: GREEK HUNTER

ok guys going to canada for spring bear... what gun would you use .270 or a 6.5x55 swed mauser.
Given those two choices, I would take the .270, and load it with bullets that are well-constructed and heavy for caliber. My choice would be 150 grain, at least Nosler partition. Second choice would be 140 Trophy bonded. Both are loaded in the Federal Premium line of ammunition.

I have taken three black bears in Canada. Two were taken with my .30-06. One I used the Barnes X 180 grain bullet in a handload. The bear died with one shot after running about 20 yards. The second killed with the .30-06, I used the Speer Grand Slam 180 grain bullet. This was also a very quick one-shot kill. The third was taken on a hunt this September. Since the primary animal I was after was a grizzly, I took my .300 Weatherby, loaded with 200 grain bonded core bullets made by Kodiak. I was testing them at the time. They worked very well in both animals, but I took a followup shot on the grizzly. After skinning the griz, we decided that the followup would not have been necessary, as either would have killed the bear.

As to your 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser, I am sure you can kill a bear with it. Just be very sure you hit the bear in a good spot with either of the rifles and it will be very dead. Good luck on your hunt.

Ought Six 12-30-2005 01:35 PM

As to your 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser, I am sure you can kill a bear with it. Just be very sure you hit the bear in a good spot with either of the rifles and it will be very dead. Good luck on your hunt.
Karamojo Bell killed elephants with a 6.5x55, however...He decided to use a 7x57 for most of his elephant kills since the 6.5 bullets sometimes bent and didnt go where he wanted them too.

A5Shooter 12-30-2005 08:14 PM

Hi

I've hunted New Brunswick Canada the Last three years for spring bear
using my BLR in 270 with Winchester 150 grain Failsafes and they all dropped where they were hit . The 270 is enough gun ! just make sure of
a good shot ! Wish you all the Best on your Hunt !

Kevin

Rebel Hog 12-30-2005 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Ought Six

Karamojo Bell killed elephants with a 6.5x55, however...He decided to use a 7x57 for most of his elephant kills since the 6.5 bullets sometimes bent and didnt go where he wanted them too.

.275 Rigby-Mauser (7X57) with DWM ammo.;)