Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 If Mtn. Lions did exist in your state... Would you want them? >

If Mtn. Lions did exist in your state... Would you want them?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

If Mtn. Lions did exist in your state... Would you want them?

Old 12-21-2005, 09:02 PM

Default RE: If Mtn. Lions did exist in your state... Would you want them?

I would say no. we worry about the population of the deer herd now. And we would have to protect our selfs more for danger in the woods. I do agree though, itwould makeit prettyinteresting.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would vote no because they are deer killing machines and I don't like the thought of reintroducing predators to area's that now have significant human populations.Maybe in the Adirondack park.
I truly believe that they exist already in our state of New York.I know to many people whose word I believe who have seen them in our area.Clients,friends,a family member.
I do hunt every year out of state where is a decent lion population,I have seen tracks a number of times but never the cat.I don't doubt that they have seen me though!They are the ultimate predator's!
Old 12-21-2005, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did say yes previously and I stand by that.
However, I would be concerned about the impact on the deer herd. I'm
not sure how that would work out.
Would there ever be enough of them to replace us as deer predators?
I wouldn't think so.
There would be a socially acceptable carrying capacity for them
and thus a season on them eventually.
With the orange army we have, controlling them would be "no problemo".
Old 12-21-2005, 10:19 PM

Being very opinionated, Im also pretty comfortable with my posted answer to this. But heres a thought...I personally dont think theyd decimate the deer herd, but maybe they COULD kill deer in areas where us hunters could not. Interesting thought, eh? Also, those who thinklions might fare better in the Adirondacks surecontradict the guyswho hunt upthere. They imply theres not enough deer to support it! Lots of points to ponder!
Old 12-21-2005, 11:17 PM
Dominant Buck

We have them and don't care for them, they kill calves, deer, goats, dogs and you have to be very careful when gutting your deer after the kill. They are more plentiful from the central part to the southern partof the state.
I know they do these things cause it's thier means of survival, but I wish we did'nt have them!
Old 12-22-2005, 03:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Heavens No. I'm scared enough of the dark with Bigfoot running around[&:]
Old 12-22-2005, 04:50 AM

I don't think that there is any "need" to have mountain lions in Pennsylvania, but still, I would like to see them. They are a part of nature, just as I am. I have one on the wall in my trophy room that I got in Idaho. As far as fearing them, I do not. Mountain lions are very easy to kill, and where hunted, avoid man like the plague. It is in areas like the People's Republik of Kaliforia where they are not hunted that they cause problems. As to them killing deer, if anything that kills deer is evil, perhaps us hunters are evil also. One adult mountain lion would take about one deer a week for food. He has to eat to live. If the deer population is low, the lion would feed on what is available, such as livestock, domestic pets, etc. As are most wild predators, lions are feeders of opportunity. No opportunity, no kill. Man, on the other hand, will hunt his chosen type of prey until he gets the very last one. Which of us is evil? That is for some higher authority to decide.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:25 AM

I for one would welcome a healthy population of moutain lions into my state. ( NY ) - I live in WNY and thinks that there are parts of the state that have plenty of land to support a population of mt lions - maybe not the size of what is out west but one that would be substaintial. Also, there is not reason that the Adirondaks could not support a healthy population. I don't think having them in the wild would make me any more nervous to be in the woods, but then again I have yet to be face to face with one that might change at that time. I think that any animal could pose a threat in the wild depending on circumstances and as long as people learn to respect the wildlife and learn what should and should not be done when you encounter one then I don't see a problem. I also think that the situation in Cali is a little different than in NY - The size of communities and subdivisions is increasing out there at a extreamely fast rate - and the population of mt lions out there was established before hand for the most part. It wasn't the mt lions that moved into the suburbs it was people who moved into the mt lion's backyard and didn't know how to deal with the situation.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mdbohuntr

yeah everybody says they would like them until they get all the way up their tree in their climber and realize that they arent the only ones up there.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

ORIGINAL: mdbohuntr

yeah everybody says they would like them until they get all the way up their tree in their climber and realize that they arent the only ones up there.

Florida Panther!

. .

Quick Reply: If Mtn. Lions did exist in your state... Would you want them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.