Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY Blaze Orange Bill >

NY Blaze Orange Bill

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Blaze Orange Bill

Old 12-18-2005, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY Blaze Orange Bill

Well, here in NY there have been 22 fatal "accidental sootings" in the last 10 years or so.

21 of the 22 had no Blaze Orange.
And how many fatal shootings were there in PA, where BO is mandatory, over the same time frame. Anybody know? What would the conclusion be if the answer was 32?

I understand the resistance to additional laws, but I do not understand the hostility against those who support Blaze Orange. They are just trying to make the woods safer for everyone.
I have no hostility whatsoever against those who support Blaze Orange. I support BO myself. My hostility is against the mindset that says we need a law for such things. This kind of thing is out of control. Government weighing in on even the smallest of things. How about a law that says you have to pull your gun up into the tree with a rope. How about a law that says you have to unload your gun when crossing a fence, wear a safety belt in a tree stand, whistle when you see a hunter to notify him you are there, cary a compass in case you get lost, cary a first aid kit and on and on and on.Where does it stop? Just because something is a good idea, doesn't mean there has to be a law to enforce it. And were didthese guysget the idea it was their responsibility to "make the woods safer for everyone"? That's where my hostility is aimed. Who the devil asked them to do that? Worry about yourself and quit trying toforce other people to do what you have decided is best. That tome is the height of arrogance! If you want to wear BO then do it but at the same time mind your own freaking business!

And one additional point. Don't give me the line of crap that if just one life was saved it's worth it. Baloney, if you people really want to save lives how about supporting a law to lower the maximum speed limit in all sates to 45 miles/hour. That would save literallly thousands of lives now wouldn't it? Hundreds a year in NY not a mere 22 over 10 years. But my bet is there isn't a person here would be willing to put up with that kind of annoyance just to save a few thousand lives.

I just saw on the news that 10 people die each year because of Christmas tree fires. Lets pass a law telling people how they must decorate there tree so its safe!
Old 12-18-2005, 09:45 AM
Spike

Sylvan, I must agree with you on this subject.There is no reason to pass another law.It's about time people pull their head out of thier lower half and be responsible for thier actions and use the thing called a brain for themself.

And out of those "accidental shootings" how many happened when the shooter took one well aimed shot at the known target,or was it that fancey shooting we hear all too often of 5 or more shots.

How about our elected officals use thier time better by balanceing the budget and spending our tax money on more important matters.

And if you can't figure when to wear bo in the field or for that matter when to shoot at the animal with what possibly might be beyond the target.Stay out of the woods!
Old 12-18-2005, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about our elected officals use thier time better by balanceing the budget and spending our tax money on more important matters.
AMEN Itinerant!

And if you can't figure when to wear bo in the field or for that matter when to shoot at the animal with what possibly might be beyond the target.Stay out of the woods!
AMEN AGAIN!
Old 12-18-2005, 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Itinerant

Well, its not really about me...somehow I've managed to keep from shooting at anyone for over 20 years of hunting, thanks very much.

But it would be a shame if some 16 year old kid, deer hunting for the first time, excited and nervous, plugged some idiot sneaking around in brown carhartt's, wouldn't it? He would have to live with that the rest of his life. A child's life, ruined, because ofbad judgement compounded by someone too stubborn or stupid to wear blaze to help prevent accidents.

Don't get me wrong...I could care less if there is a law or not. I figure its nature's way of weeding out the stupid.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

But it would be a shame if some 16 year old kid, deer hunting for the first time, excited and nervous, plugged some idiot sneaking around in brown carhartt's, wouldn't it?
Sure would be a shame, but if 16 years is too youngto beexpected to be responsible hunting with a firearm then the solution is to raise the hunting age.
A child's life, ruined,...
A child? Children shouldn'teven be handling firearms unsupervised.

As for the guy sneaking around in brown carhartt's, well there is no age limit on stupidity.

I've always maintained that you could have a guy in a deer suit run past a responsible hunter and his reaction would be, "look at that jerk, he's going to get shot!". If you mistake a man for a deer regardless of what he is wearing you are negligent. A man neither moves like, or looks anything like a deer and there is NO excuse for shooting unless you are absolutely sure.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Sylvan
I've always maintained that you could have a guy in a deer suit run past a responsible hunter and his reaction would be, "look at that jerk, he's going to get shot!". If you mistake a man for a deer regardless of what he is wearing you are negligent. A man neither moves like, or looks anything like a deer and there is NO excuse for shooting unless you are absolutely sure.
You know what?

I agree. But that isn't reason enough to lobby against Blaze orange.

You are correct - that's the way it should be. Yet hunters get shot every year - not all are fatal, luckily.

How about we give up on Blaze and add another law instead?
Shoot a hunter, go to jail for involuntary manslaughter.

You like that one?

Old 12-18-2005, 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Sure would be a shame, but if 16 years is too youngto beexpected to be responsible hunting with a firearm then the solution is to raise the hunting age.
By the time I was 16, I had enough experience through the endless days afield bird hunting, turkey hunting and deer hunting to be sure to identify my target and safely handle my firearm. I give thanks to my dad for that. I have taken hunter education courses three times. I hunt with ethical guys that want to pass on their knowledge.

Why don't you stop being a problem and become a solution!!!! SPONSOR YOUTH HUNTS!!!! Make it your duty to get the youth involved at a young age so when it is time to let them hunt on their own, you can say that you taught them right.

BTW-This thread was about BO, lets get back to the subject.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about we give up on Blaze and add another law instead?
Shoot a hunter, go to jail for involuntary manslaughter.

You like that one?
Works for me!
Old 12-18-2005, 04:59 PM

Pardon my intrusion, but wouldn't that take a new law?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:00 PM

Welcome to HuntingNet 7mm08

Quick Reply: NY Blaze Orange Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.