Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY Blaze Orange Bill >

NY Blaze Orange Bill

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Blaze Orange Bill

Old 12-18-2005, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY Blaze Orange Bill

I always walk in and out with a BO cap and wear it when in a ground blind but Iusually take it off when up a treeit just makes sense to me. I have hunted in alabama and if I remember correctly a hunter was required to wear a minimum amount of BO(cap) 200 or 250sq inches?while walking to a stand or ground hunting but could remove it when higher than 10 feet off the ground. i would like the NYS law to be similiar to this one.
But why do you want a law LIAF? You can wear as much or as little BO as you want right now! You can wear it in a tree or on the ground or neither. Your're not stupid. You don't need the state to tell you what to do.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Next year stay up in the north, while I hunt the south and you can tell your nanny I said that.
No digi200, you are the one whining for a nanny to tell you what to wear when you go hunting! You even break it down into what you should wear in a tree vs. the ground. Pretty fasion concious I'd say!

As far as my tone? Yes, I'm being intentionally antagonistic. I'm sick and tired of the "nanny state mentality" and just want to shake people up a bit. We're men for God's sakes! We're not children who needs some authorityto regulate ever tiny detail of our lives and I'm tired of the arrogance of the people who want to try to do it.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:15 AM
Fork Horn

Its inevitable that a law is coming therefore I would like to see what I suggested. I would not like to see it a BO of 400 sq minimumas that would mean a vest. I hope the 250 sq will be just a cap. As I said a BO cap but it can be removed when you are 10 feet off the ground.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its inevitable that a law is coming therefore I would like to see what I suggested. I would not like to see it a BO of 400 sq minimumas that would mean a vest. I hope the 250 sq will be just a cap. As I said a BO cap but it can be removed when you are 10 feet off the ground.
Sadly, I believe you are right.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:08 AM

ORIGINAL: LIAF

I hate to tell you this but 144 inches is 1 square foot 250" is
over 1 1/2 square foot is your head that big.
PS: average cap or hat is only 100 sq. inches
Old 12-18-2005, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to know the following.

1) How many people have been shot by other hunters? NOT self inflected accidents or heat attacks witch count as hunting accidents.

2) How many that were shot were wearing blaze orange?

3) How many were on public and private land?

4) How many were in tree stand?

5) How many were moving and sitting or standing?

I think the answers would help any of us in making a choice on this. we need to stick together or we will loose everything.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

SPIKEHORN11,
I think a good place to look to put things in perspective is PA. They have a strict BO law, NY has none. Is there any statistical difference in the accident rate between these 2 states?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:12 AM

Well, here in NY there have been 22 fatal "accidental sootings" in the last 10 years or so.

21 of the 22 had no Blaze Orange.

I don't know the details (tree vs ground, etc.)

But the statistic is pretty telling - only 1 hunter was shot wearing Blaze Orange. There is NO DOUBT that Blaze increases hunter safety. The arguement is whether or not it should be mandated for people who are too stupid to protect themselves....like seat belts.

I understand the resistance to additional laws, but I do not understand the hostility against those who support Blaze Orange. They are just trying to make the woods safer for everyone.

Old 12-18-2005, 08:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Sadly, I believe you are right.
WTF is up with that!!! That is what I been trying to say. If you want me to be more clear, I don't want this bill to go through. I don't like what this bill says. Like LIAF said, a BO bill is inevitable and if one were to get passed, I would like one that does not require that person to wear it a certain distance above the ground, LIAF said 10 ft. I don't care if they say 12 ft. I have been saying the same thing LIAF has, yet LIAF gets more support than I do. It seems to me like I am the enemy. Maybe I just wasn't being as clear, idk.

ORIGINAL: Sylvan

Pretty fasion concious I'd say!
Yes, I think the Mossy Oak New Break-Up looks more hip than the BO. I sport the same style as everything else around me.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: fastfire

ORIGINAL: LIAF

I hate to tell you this but 144 inches is 1 square foot 250" is
over 1 1/2 square foot is your head that big.
PS: average cap or hat is only 100 sq. inches
Fastfire, the bill text says 250 sq. in. or a hat. If you are not wearing a hat, you must wear 250 sq. in. of BO visible in a "360 degree arc."

Quick Reply: NY Blaze Orange Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.