Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Maine Big Woods Deer >

Maine Big Woods Deer

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Maine Big Woods Deer

Old 12-20-2005, 07:02 AM

Default RE: Maine Big Woods Deer

I'm going to assume you are rifle hunting so my advice will be tailored toward that.

If there isn't any snow to run a track on I highly suggest bringing 2 things, extra high rubber boots and a climbing treestand. The thickest swamps tend to hold older deer as they are almost impossible to approach. You can wait the edges, or still hunt hunt them with some success if you have the gear to keep you dry to your knees. I have found picking a tall, pencil of a tree right on the down wind edge of a really thick swamp back in a ways from any road, then climbing up 30+ feet and overlooking the swamp has resulted in seeing a lot more deer. Deer will often move within the swamp while still light, knowing anything not right in there can't see them, unless you happen to be in a real tall tree overlooking the swamp! It's worked for myself and my friends and is just another technique to try in an area where there just aren't huge herds of deer. Pulling a 220 lber out of the heart of a swamp can about kill you though!
Old 12-20-2005, 02:10 PM

I am from Maine, and will retire on some land we own south of Houlton. My folks had a place in West Forks, south of Jackman on 201, and I hunted that area for a lot of years. Also have hunted around Patten a lot, and have been going to a hunting lodge in the western mountains for 12 years. Last month I shot a 203#/10 pointer. He was the 4th largest deer taken at that camp this year. Most of the advice you have seen here is fairly accurate.

Gerry

Old 12-20-2005, 07:34 PM

I take it you are doing a self-guided hunt?

Deer densities are low up here in northern Maine, but if you find a good area then the hunting could be good. There are vast stretches that are virtually deerless, with pockets of higher deer densities here and there. If you won't be able to do any preseason scouting then you'd better wish for good tracking snow. Snow always helps, but is even more important if you are hunting "blind" so to speak. Riding the roads looking for tracks is a common method, but the deer seem to realize this and often avoid crossing the roads. I would suggest scouting for sign along major waterways as a starting point. If you are comfortable in big woods then get as far away from any roads as you can. You just might find the track of a real brute that isn't used to being hunted. That's some basic advice and I'll stop there to avoid writing a book. You've already done some good reading which will help to prepare you for the hunt. Good luck to you next year, and don't get lost
Old 12-20-2005, 07:48 PM

Thanks again for all your help. COL, nice buck. That is one reason I'm going to Maine. I booked a guided hunt up at Hal Blood's outfit. I'm sure the guide will get me where I want to be but I like to be prepared for whatever comes my way. Hunting unfrozen swamps is new to me, so that is one area I need to educate myself on. Again, I appreciate all your input. If, or shall I say when, I bag my deer next fall I'll be sure to post some pictures. In the mean time I have flintlock season in PA starting next week and then hopefully some foxes and coyotes to bag.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:18 AM

You will have a great time. Hal Blood has an excellent reputation.

Gerry
Old 12-23-2005, 05:54 PM

You will be in for a big surprise and love the hunt, Low numbers but big woods, get a guide ,some guys will do it for little money If you dont have time to scout first the hunt will be all luck and dont get lost.There are some big deer up there250 lbs.plenty are taking every year. thick antlers .Go in deep and find the swamps Wacht out for bear,moose,and cats..cote..Pack in a survival pack just incase a storm blows in..when it snows it can be deep real quick.And if your deep in It can be a tough walk back. Maybee even take a quad in with you. It might be better Plus have you ever draged a deer over 200lbs before. In the dark with cotes trailing you.Be prepared .There are some places you want even see a gas station for 20 miles..
Old 12-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

i think you will be in for a big surprise for sure hunting the north woods of maine. the hunts are cheap for a reason. bitter cold and snow- little deer and if you cant track or find tracks your gonna waste alot of time. i think its one of the tougher hunts ive been on. this is not a sit all day type hunt. most ive met dont like it and although the reward can be great you need to think about things before you hunt in those big woods. if your one of those fidgety guys that cant sit in a stand and in good physical shape this type hunt may be for you. if you just wanna experience a week away in big woods with you buddies for cheap prices then i say its good. i loved the experience but when i do hunt northern maine again i will be better prepared and wont hire a guide.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Dominant Buck

It is all about tracking. If you don't like to track and can't walk 10+ miles a day then don't try it. If you are a stand hunter then you are wasting your time.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Colonel, awesome buck! I have a camp downeast (franklin, outside of ellsworth) and would love to hunt up there one year. My father and grandfather hunted up there for years and took some nice bucks.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:43 AM
Spike

i was up in jackman,and called BIG WOODS of the Jackman for 12 yrs, love there BEAUTIFUL UNSPOILED WOODS so end up i killed 4 bucks which was top of my buck was heavy beam 10 pts and 205 lbs in JACKMAN TWP and mostlybought some bucksin ALDERBROOK TWP because no one hunters around and untouched on the land yeah you wont see as many deer and seen 0 to 5 deer per week. last nov. my buddy of his group 12 guys didnt bagged any deer and sightling more doe and two bucks. Hal Blood is an excellent guide best around in JACKMAN than other guides. but Myself never hired the guide and wanderedin the massive woods average 5 miles a day to search and TOUGH HUNTING........ good luck and you ll fall in love there .... chirstopher jones

Quick Reply: Maine Big Woods Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.