Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY - pretty safe season for the new rifle country >

NY - pretty safe season for the new rifle country

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY - pretty safe season for the new rifle country

Old 12-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY - pretty safe season for the new rifle country

If people really want to make it safer and if this is a top priority, put some sort of Antler Restrictions in place, or seperate the doe and buck hunting seasons. It scares the crap out of me to think that a person w/ the proper permits can shoot at anything brown moving in the brush without getting a close enough look to see what kind of head gear the animal is sporting.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

If people really want to make it safer and if this is a top priority, put some sort of Antler Restrictions in place, or seperate the doe and buck hunting seasons. It scares the crap out of me to think that a person w/ the proper permits can shoot at anything brown moving in the brush without getting a close enough look to see what kind of head gear the animal is sporting.
Although i am strongly opposed to AR... I have to admit that is one of the most impressive calls for it's enaction I've ever heard. Nice one RJ

I'd rather mandate orange requirements first for gun, then go from there.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

Thats good now maybe they will make my part of chemung town of van etten rifle also
Old 12-17-2005, 06:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Those who hunt brown is down will still shoot at anyting brown
then if it is not legal just leave it lay.
Did not PA. AR'S prove this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2005, 08:22 AM

Over time, accidents are bound to happen. This opening of new rifle areas show that the future promises fairly safe seasons. If one accident happens, it is going to be because of someone's stupidity or a mishap with the gun that couldn't have been avoided. If one accident happens 10 years down the road, an overreaction from half the people on this board is going to happen and I can promise you that someone on this board will say rifles was a bad idea and it should go back to shotgun only. It just makes me wonder.

Hunting is the safest sport a person can participate it, accidents will happen just like any other sport. If you can accept that fact, you will save yourself a lot of grief from overreaction.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:16 PM

Thank you. It also promises safe seasons in the future, and I don't mean absolutely flawless seasons but you intelligent one's out there can understand what I am saying.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Thread-wise: I am wondering what the push for expanding the area of rifle usewill take if we get mid/long term results in the positive category for rifles.

That'd be an interesting issue. A safe season is always a good thing.

PS... DB I understand you took a buck during ML? If so, nice job!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lets Keep the Back Biting to a Minimum (AJ52)

Base on the reports I have from the media and the DEC. This season thefatality rate for the overall state was actually up slightly,(I haven't seen the numbers for total injuries/accidents).

AsI stated from the begining I agree that the rifle season in the new area seemed to go well and I am happy for that.

Doughboy,
Thanks for the condolensce I appreciate it. Hopefully this has at least opened the minds and eyes of my friends concerning overall hunter safety.

I hope you have a safe and happy holiday and new year.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another member requested more relevant informtion concerning the rifle accident here is more detailed report..

Sparrowbush – An investigation into the death of a 13-year-old boy who was out hunting on Thanksgiving morning is now in the hands of the Orange County district attorney's office, state police said yesterday.
David Kingston was killed by a rifle shot while hunting with family members near Route 42. State police yesterday declined to release the results of an autopsy or describe how the shooting happened, saying only that it was an accident and that the boy's family cooperated with investigators. Prosecutors also declined to discuss the case.
A state police report said the incident was first reported to police as a serious injury from a fall, but then a doctor at Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis found a bullet wound while examining the boy.
Kingston was laid to rest yesterday.
At Port Jervis Middle School, Principal Tom Bongiovi told students of the boy's death yesterday morning but said almost everyone in the close-knit school already knew.
"We dedicated our moment of silence to David," Bongiovi said.
He described Kingston as a bright boy with a keen sense of humor.
"He was a very funny kid, and he was very inquisitive. He'd always have a question for you," Bongiovi said.
Kingston was a member of the school's modified football and wrestling teams. Plans for a scholarship fund to help students attend wrestling camp are under way, Bongiovi said.
"He wasn't a natural athlete, but he always gave 110 percent," Bongiovi said.
Kingston's death quickly became a topic of conversation and speculation throughout the Town of Deerpark and Port Jervis.
"All kinds of people are talking about it," said Bryan Kaizer, working behind the counter at Gamo's Country Market in Sparrowbush. "It's really sad."
Kaizer, an avid hunter himself, said hunting accidents are easily preventable by following basic safety rules.
"You don't ever point your gun at anything if there are any ifs at all," Kaizer said. "Don't point unless you're sure."