Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Should i trust the nj guys >

Should i trust the nj guys

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Should i trust the nj guys

Old 12-10-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Should i trust the nj guys

Im thinking of puting up a lockon tree stand in a wma in central/southern nj.Do you thinkthis is a good idea?Also should i risk my trail cam there?
Your opinion greatly appreciated

Old 12-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Should i trust the nj guys

Saddly I wouldn't suggest it. I find it hard to believe that hunters steal from one another but the sad truth is, we are our own enemies which is truly sad in my opinion.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have seen a few that werre left up and not bothered, then again I have people tell they've had theirs stolen. If you plan on being the last one there and the first one back in the morning it might be safe.I lock mine even if I'll be back the next morning. But I wouldn't trust anyone. You can always hide it and lock it. That way there will be less to carry. Also don't leave a trail of bright eyes leading to it. Good Luck.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not if you want to keep it.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

maybe if you lock it (or double lock it) and have no access up to it. Ive seen guys remove the bottom part of the climbing sticks or take like 4-6 screw in stepsout at the bottom. Make it hard for the average guy wondering around to get into your stand. It would take someone to purposly go and get some means of climbing the tree which may be too much work.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:10 AM
Dominant Buck

It doesn't just have to be in NJ. Bad sports are in most areas and use caution would be my opinion.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

i wouldnt put it up and leave it. with a trail camera try to lock it up and try not to leave it out for more than a week. my personal preference is to only use trail cameras in august . you can get pictures of the local bucks and pull the camera out before the season starts. i like to put my cameras out on a late sunday afternoon and pick them up on the next saturday or friday night. this limits the amount of people that might see my camera. make sure you use camo tape on the camera box and spray the black strap with a light tan or gray paint and maybe add a little brush to hide it better. GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-11-2005, 06:56 PM

wondering about trying to hang it up in a tree limb facing the groundand getting a top shot of the game think that would work.Plus i dont think anyone would bother it now being its only permit bow and the firearm season it over.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

Dont trust anyone as I had a stand stolen on private land in Zone 2. That being said, if you have a secret spot and are only using for a select amount of time, then go for it as it's a lot easier.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:18 AM

I use Chippewa deerstands. They have a harness system that allows you to remove the stand from the tree. They have six or so styles to choice. You leave the harness and take down the stand. When you go back just screw in steps or put up ladder, hoist up stand like you would do with weapon and place in harness.

If you do decide to leave your loc-on. Make your own cable locks. Buy 1/2" or bigger cable, thimbles and crosby clamps. Assemble the cable with a loop at each end. Buy a closed bolt style lock (one were the bolt can't be reached by cuuters) and lock on.

I gurantee that nobody will be able to get your stand. This cable takes special tools to cut or a long time with avarage tools and the lock is failsafe, even if shot.

I have used it for many years and it has worked perfect. Camo it if you feel needed. I do and it helps somewhat. I also have seen where somebody has tried to steal them and just plain gave up. I did a test in the backyard using standard tools at ground level and it took me close to 30 minutes to undo this system. Remember, with todays cordless power tools many bad sports go out and try to do just this. It's sad to say I caught a pair of guys doing just that. I also video a guy doing it. Turn him in a he got prosecuted.

Good luck and give it a try. I have 6', 8' and 9' cables ready ahead of the season. Perfect for loc-ons and ladders.

Quick Reply: Should i trust the nj guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.