Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 We need changes in PA >

We need changes in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

We need changes in PA

Old 12-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default We need changes in PA

Alot of people are asking for a reduction in doe tags next year.I think the biggest problem is the two week slaughter of anterless deer in those areas with low populations.So here's my idea.

In the NC and other areas where the herd has been reduced to very low numbers cut the doe season to three or even two days.It could be maybe the first two days in buck and the first Saturday.In other areas where the herd still needs reduced keep the season at two weeks or more if needed.Go back to county regions or smaller WMU's.Honestly two weeks of doe hunting is the culprit in the areas hardest hit.If the PGC would take this route they wouldn't lose so much money from reducing the amount of doe tags.Now the DCNR wants less deer then we have now so obviously they would fight this.As a matter of fact they want rifle season to last at least a month but that's another story.
So what say you?
Old 12-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: We need changes in PA

I say keep the 2 weeks, but sharply drop the doe tags in places where it's needed. You will get a more consistant harvest if you leave the seasons longer, but just severely cut the tags. I have no good things to say about the DCNR. They are the PRIME driver behind the decimation of the deer herd. And yes WMU's should be much much smaller.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

i think its a great idea, but we all know that wont happen. maybe 4-5 years from now but not any sooner. i wish we as hunters would not shoot the does in these areas but for some reason some still are. i just dont understand when i talk to a guy and they say the season sucks i only saw one deer and i shot it. but im w/ ya i hope the PGC would start looking out for us hunters in these bad areas but w/ money in mind and groups like DCNR and audabon pushing the GC, its not going to happen.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree PA.I don't shoot does but I see guys shooting yearlings because they hunted all day and it's the first thing they saw.Hunters can't/won't help the situation by themselves so it's up to the PGC.And with the DCNR and birders on their backs it aint gonna happen.
Has anybody ever seen a bird watcher on state forest?I never have.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally, I think the biggest priority is smaller WMU's. With properly aligned WMU's it will be easier (but still a challenge) to come up witha better way of balancing the low deer density public land with the overpopulated private land.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:39 PM

they also need to limit how many dam tags one person can buy. i had a small group of does behind my house and they were the only deer i had seen all season. well the stinking amish came in on opening day. there were 3 of them and that small group 6 to be exact tried to cross the field. they shot all 6 deer right there on the spot. i watched them gut and drag all the deer and lay them in a pile along the wood edge. they never tagged the deer as i was watching with my binoculars. so i called the pgc and they came to check them out. the warden told me later that all the deer were tagged and they even had more to fill yet. if that aint greedy i dont know what is . and nonone has seen a deer back there yet after that opening day
Old 12-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally hate the two week, brown and down war that the commish has devised. IMO, cutting tags severely and not shortening the doe season isn't going to help all that much. At the current 2 weeks, you have a very good chance of seeing A deer and shooting it. So a larger percentage of the tags issued are going to get filled in 2 weeks. Shorten that to a week or less, and cut the tag numbers and you'll get less deer killed. Thats just a theory, nothing that I could say I was sure of.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also think smaller WMU's are a necessity. We as hunters should also come up with some type of task force to bring attention to the troubled areas and educate all PA hunters to lay off the herd in those areas. There are alot of guys out there who will hunt an area out of habit and kill the few deer that are there, possibly because they know no better. Maybe if some publicity was given to those areas, hunters would be more apt to let the does walk for a year or two in their favorite haunts. Someone else on this board said that "not every hunter in PA lives and breathes deer hunting 24/7 like some of us do". That is a problem not easily solved. A detailed "recommended deer harvest map" available online and in print, maybe even printed in major newspapers, would help.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Everyone here has ideas to help solve what we all see is becoming the number one problem in PA. I don't know how we can get others to see what we see,PA is a huge state and with more people living in metro areas the sheer number of deer these people see every day makes them think there are plenty of deer. And in these areas there are,but most are on unhuntable lands.
I live in Crawford county,this is a deer haven with small woodlots and many farms,most are small with 5 to 20 cows.Plenty of corn is left standing thru the winter.Winter kill is not a problem.Land owners timber their land as they should we have no deer problems here.

We are being told we have to many deer also.The thing here is most of us land owners like our deer ,we live to deer hunt.The P.G.C. has forced us to post most of the land,if you don't own land you will have a hard time finding a place to hunt.The doe slaughter is not going to continue on private land.You people that are forced to hunt state land will have to find a way to be represented at the state level.The game commision has abandonded the very people that support them.Untill the leadership at the P.G.C. is elected & not appointed I don't know how we will be heard.

This deer managment program has set hunters against each other like nothing else ever has.We have people braging about killing deer just to give them away.Ethics & morality have gone by the way side,people kill just for the shear thrill of killing.I am glad my father taught me better. We are not headingto a verybright future.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Everyone here has ideas to help solve what we all see is becoming the number one problem in PA. I don't know how we can get others to see what we see,PA is a huge state and with more people living in metro areas the sheer number of deer these people see every day makes them think there are plenty of deer. And in these areas there are,but most are on unhuntable lands.
I live in Crawford county,this is a deer haven with small woodlots and many farms,most are small with 5 to 20 cows.Plenty of corn is left standing thru the winter.Winter kill is not a problem.Land owners timber their land as they should we have no deer problems here.

We are being told we have to many deer also.The thing here is most of us land owners like our deer ,we live to deer hunt.The P.G.C. has forced us to post most of the land,if you don't own land you will have a hard time finding a place to hunt.The doe slaughter is not going to continue on private land.You people that are forced to hunt state land will have to find a way to be represented at the state level.The game commision has abandonded the very people that support them.Untill the leadership at the P.G.C. is elected & not appointed I don't know how we will be heard.

This deer managment program has set hunters against each other like nothing else ever has.We have people braging about killing deer just to give them away.Ethics & morality have gone by the way side,people kill just for the shear thrill of killing.I am glad my father taught me better. We are not headingto a verybright future.
Maybe the USP was right from the start.
http://www.unifiedsportsmenpa.org/photo.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.