Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Coyotes, anybody else seen them? >

Coyotes, anybody else seen them?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Coyotes, anybody else seen them?

Old 12-06-2005, 08:08 PM

Default RE: Coyotes, anybody else seen them?

I agree. The coyote population has exploded over the last several years. Today I covered over 8 miles in the Adirondacks and all I saw were 4 sets of deer tracks, but I bet I didn't walk more than a couple hundred yards without seeing a set of coyote tracks. I'd have to say that they are doing more damage to the deer herds than what was once thought. I guess I'm going to have to take up yote hunting when the deer season closes.

Mr. .45-70
Old 12-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I welcome them.

Love to see and hear them while hunting. I'm not a game hog - I can share. I'll take a coyote when possible - as a worthy trophy - not as vermine as some would like to consider them.

Coyotes might be the hunter's best ally in herd control if hunter populations continue to decline. Don'tbe discouraged by them,learn to recognize them for theirvalue to the deer herd, and as atrophy for the hunter.

FH
Old 12-07-2005, 02:20 AM

YEP!

Old 12-07-2005, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

I haven't seen any, but I saw tracks EVERYWHERE. I did see one run out in front of my truck one night when I was leaving the woods. I would also hear them at night a lot. I'm gonna have to start hunting them this winter.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is definitely truth to what you are saying.Most people don't realize how many fawns that bears kill.The increase in the bear population and the coyote population is certainly a significant factor in the lower deer population.I saw four or five coyote's in the archery season and either three or four bears.(I had multiple bear sightings one afternoon,not sure if I saw the same bear twice.)The coyote's didn't provide shot opportunities,one of the bears did and it's at the taxidermist's.I have read that you can't shoot out a coyote population,that they must be trapped,I suggest we all do as much of both as we can!
Old 12-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Spike

I am also hunting/trapping them after the deer hunt is over. It is very tough to hunt them in my area due to the lack of open spaces. The wind is, also, always to their advantage.. As per the bear population I couldn't agree more. I installed a camera with time lapsed video pointing on my front yard and I captured an actual bear attacking 3 does...