HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   How much PA Shooting Saturday? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/123610-how-much-pa-shooting-saturday.html)

mrfritz44 12-04-2005 05:34 AM

How much PA Shooting Saturday?

I was up on Bear mountain overlooking Jim Thorpe, PA (4C) hunting for doe all day and heardthree shots - one of them mine.

Jim Thorpe is a hub at the center of several mountain valleys that come together near the Lehigh River. It's not uncommon to hear 40 shots or more, especially on a day like yesterday (light wind, sunny, cold). I have a feeling that there are a lot of herd reduction arguments happening today,since the hunters were out there judging from the cars.

What did you PA guys hear, or not hear?

Fritz

bronko22000 12-04-2005 05:57 AM

RE: How much PA Shooting Saturday?

I heard almost as much shooting Sat. as I did on the first day. And also, one of them shots were mine shooting a nice 8 ptr. in his bed.

PABuck_HNTR 12-04-2005 07:35 AM

Didn't hear much shooting at all! Had approximately 14 guys on private land with DMAP tags only 2 doe taken, 1 from a group of three doe I pushed out around 10:00 am. I have seen a total of 11 deer in four days hunting. Both public ( 2 days ) and private land ( 2 days). Not very good. Oh!, and I saw 5 deer in 3 days of archery hunting.

PA Bow/Flinter 12-04-2005 08:50 AM

I got skunked in the morning...butI took my smokepole out at night for some still hunting. Jumped four does out...too bad my tag was already filled from archery season though.

I can honestly say that this has been my best season ever. I saw 40+ deer, 10 different bucks,in archery. I didn't see that many so far in rifle though. Just 7 does all week. Guess I better start looking harder.

aldo88 12-04-2005 07:11 PM

We had 12 inches of snow so it was hard to tell how much shooting was going on. I hunted till 11 am and heard about 10-15 shots. But none in the area I was hunting.

setter77 12-04-2005 08:45 PM

We were do drives in Juniata county, state forest ground, moved deer on all but one drive, only got shooting on one. They kept getting back through the drivers thru the laurel. Saw some buck too.

DoubleLung55 12-04-2005 09:18 PM

I heard a few shots , i got a doe tho at 1050

GREEK HUNTER 12-05-2005 06:31 AM

hey mrfritz i hunt the same area but i'm off of 534 i hunt the tracks didn't see or hear anything 2 shots

quiksilver 12-05-2005 07:27 AM

I took a party of four outon the gamelands inSW PA, good action all day.

Two guys killed eight pointers (nothing huge, 13" & 16"), and one doe.

Everybody saw a legal buck, everyone saw at least a dozen deer. It sounded like a war out there. Lots of missing, though, b/c I only saw 2 other dead deer (both does). Glad those guys can't shoot straight, or there wouldn't be any deer left. Most of the deer were holed up in odd places. I put two big shooters across a grown-up field, but my buddy wasn't in place in time, so he never saw 'em. That's what he gets for being slow, I guess.

lost horn 12-05-2005 08:56 AM

I hunted from sun up to sun down in Cameron Co. heard two shots all day, it was a beautiful day had about 3" of new snow on the ground, I stillhunted all day saw one doe and one little Y buck and very few tracks.
Cameron Co. is in 2G.