Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Jcchartboy's...NY bucks report.. >

Jcchartboy's...NY bucks report..

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Jcchartboy's...NY bucks report..

Old 11-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Jcchartboy's...NY bucks report..

I just returned home after being away for the past week and a half. This report is actually for my New York opener which occurred last Saturday Morning.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was fortunate to once again hunt the NY shotgun season with many of my friends that I grew up with. I lived in a small town in NY my whole life before moving closer to NYC for business. Many of my good friends still live in the same town, and most own or have access to good land.
I hunted from last Saturday through Tuesday on two different properties. I am very familiar with both properties as I have spent a great deal of time on each over the past twenty plus years.
Opening morning I hunted a stand overlooking multiple fields and a small swamp. Another one of my friends was sitting in a small box blind that is located in one the thicker fields I was overlooking.
Around 8am I hear a shot from the general direction of the box blind and expected my friend had taken a deer. We had radios however they were not working properly. I eventually saw him enter the field and I knew he was looking for his deer. At that point I decided it would best if I went to see if he needed a hand.
I was happy to find him in the field with a nice buck. The rack was a typical 6 pt rack with no brow tines and had one broken pt making it a 3pt rack.
Pats..3pt

After dressing his deer I helped him get it to my friends house where we could hang it. We were met there by another friend who was also hanging a smallish 8pt he had gotten that morning.
Later in the afternoon I returned to the farm I hunted in the morning. Although I did see a few deer I didn't have any good opportunties the remainder of the day.
I was not able to make it out Sunday morning so I was ready to get out that afternoon very early. I had to decide whether I wanted to hunt the same farm (650 acres), or whether I would hunt at another friends house that is located on a 65 acre property. I made the decision to hunt the larger farm. However, my friend Pat that had taken the 3pt, also mentioned he wanted to hunt the stand I had been in. He had helped me in gaining access to that farm once again this year so I thought he deserved first choice on the spot. This was no problem as I also know the smaller property extremely well.
We finally got to the smaller property at 1 oclock. Beside myself, I was hunting with my friend Win whos family owned the land, and my other friend Rick and his younger step son Travis. Travis had taken a 6pt on the property the previous afternoon.
I was happy to hear that none of the guys wanted to hunt the specific location I had in mind. In fact after years of of experience on that land I could not believe that they didn't want the spot I was after. It is located on the back of the property and is a series of cliffs and hills. I knew better than to let that stop me though.
By 1:30 I was in the general location I was planning on staying for the afternoon. Basically the cliffs overlooking the swamp form a benched funnel that seperates the lower and higher pieces of property. I decided to take a ground position where I could glass the center of the funnel as well as the approach from the higher locations. I scraped all the leaves in a 360 degree ring from around the bottom of large tree in order to provide me with the ability to make quite movements should a deer aproach from an unexpected direction.
After I got the spot arranged I set up so that I could glass down into the funnel and shoot in that direction with little or no movement. This allowed me to use my knee as a rest providing for a very steady shot should I get an opportunity to take one.
On the way in to the area I had not spent any time looking for sign as I knew from years past what to expect. Once I started glassing the saplings around me I knew nothing had changed. I had five to ten nice rubs in a line working out in front of me. I later found four active scrapes within 100yds as well.
I countinued to glass the entire area over the next hour while focusing on the bottom of the funnel. (The Leupold Wind River Mesas were really doing there job here!).
Around 2:30 as I was focusing my glassing on the bottom of the funnel I spotted an ear flicker exectly where I was expecting. At the time the deer was approximately 100yds away and mostly hidden by a depression in the hillside. After confirming that it was a shootable doe,(I had two doe tags) I waited for her to move behind a tree and shouldered my Savage 210 shotgun. (With the Remmington Core Lokt Ultras I shoot I have the gun sighted to be dead on at 100yds.)
Although I was willing to shoot a doe I knew I could take my time to make that decision because I had spotted the deer when it was still totally unaware of my presence and unlikely to notice me for good while.
I quickly located the doe in my scope before once again losing sight of her behind a tree. I continued to scan the area behind her for any other deer following in her path. I immediately notice movement behind her but the view was obstructed by the rise in the terrain that creates the funnel. Fortunately I didn't have to wait for the deer to come clear of the depression to confirm my assumption. I couldn't see the deers body at all, all that was visibile was the tines of a good rack. All I needed now was to visually confirm that it was a safe target once it entered the next shooting lane.
The bucks head finally came into clear view. Unfortunately I would need to shot through a relatively small lane if I wanted to take the shot at that point. I let the buck take one more step. This allowed his his head and neck to move behind a tree. However it exposed its front shoulder to me as the deer was quartering strongly toward me.
At the sound of the 85yd shot the buck clearly responded and scurried about 10yds before stopping. I chambered another round and found the buck now quartering very hard away from me looking back at me. I held as tightly as possible to the back of its shoulder and fired again. The deer immediately disappeared over the knoll.
I was confident in my shot placement and I decided to quickly reload and move up to the area where the deer had disappeared over the back of the knoll aprroximately 100yds away.
As I approached the edge of the knoll I see movement to my left. I mount the gun and confirm my sight picture. I fire....killing the doe that has just mistakenly approached me! Upon moving over the top edge of the knoll in front of me I find the doe laying dead....right next to my Buck!! My first two-fer!

JC's.....8pt

Old 11-28-2005, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Jcchartboy's...NY bucks report..

Awesome buck congrats.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great job!! X 2!!!
Old 11-28-2005, 07:48 PM

wow!!! they are some nice deer. good job
Old 11-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Guys,

I forgot to mention. The first shot hit exactly where I intended. In the first of the two pictures you can see the signs of the entry wound just in front of the shoulder. That bullet exited straight out of the center of its far shoulder destroying portions of both lungs.

The second shot was well behind the same shoulder as the first shot. In this case though the deer was quartering so hard away that the bullet once again went squarely into the center of the area of the far shoulder, once again hitting at least one lung, possibly both. The second bullet broke the offside ribs but never exited. It was not recovered.

Closeup...
Old 11-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

thats a nice lookin buck.....congrats
Old 11-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

WTG Nice buck!!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here are a few more pictures.Allof these bucks were taken opening weekend by myself and friends.

My 8

Smaller 8

7pt

3pt