Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 "Un-tagged deer" DEC ticket NOT HAPPY! >

"Un-tagged deer" DEC ticket NOT HAPPY!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

"Un-tagged deer" DEC ticket NOT HAPPY!

Old 11-22-2005, 11:34 AM

Default RE: "Un-tagged deer" DEC ticket NOT HAPPY!

No worries. Its a NY thing. We have to cut the month and day off the sides of the tag - a little triangle on one side with the month and another with the day of the month on the other.

Its NY's little way of making sure you don't change the date, I suppose.

Anyway, in NY, you are required to cut the month and day and fill out and sign the tag entirely before transporting the deer. The tag actually is not required to be attched to the deer until you have completed the transportation.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

personally, I thing the filling out the tag in the woods is ridiculous. I never have and won't. It is is filled out immediately when the deer is at camp (so what is the difference?). why worry about carrying a pen around n the woods and losing it or having it break in my pack or....or.... (I aready have too much in there to keep track of). Maybe it's just me??

on a similar note - we had 2 guys get ticketed for improper tagging at our Adirondack camp. We are 8 miles from the nearest paved road and 6 miles from the nearesttruck accessable road and they still found us! The DEC guy was good about it, but still ticketed them. Really just an honest mistake, but all those situations aren't (unfortunately).
Old 11-25-2005, 06:15 PM

Gut, Tag and then move!
Old 11-25-2005, 06:25 PM

I tag it first before my hands get bloody. Easier to write on the tag minus the blood.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

A very interesting topic. My state's law states to punch the tag immediately after reaching the downed animal. The tag does not have to be attached to the animal until it reaches a mode of transportation or camp, whichever comes first. This year, I shot my elk, my dad went back a couple hundred yards to get the gear, I punched the tag, put it in my pocket, we took some pics, and then I got to work while my dad got the truck about a mile away. When we got her in the truck, I wrote the unit of the kill on the tag, and attached it to her leg. Pretty simple. I like the fact that it doesn't have to be attached immediately. This helps in keeping it from getting lost somewhere. Good luck.

BTW - the only thing we have to fill out with ink is the unit of kill. This doesn't have to be done immediately, but as soon as you can. The month, date, sex, and antler points have to be punched out with a knife inmmediately upon reaching the animal. All of the months are pre-printed on the tag, as well as the dates, and antler points per side up to 5, and then male and female.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:20 AM

i tag my deer after i gut em, and drag em. when i get to my truck i fill it out with the heater on! that way i can wash up and grab a warm pen thats not frozen.

iv dont this for years. if i get cought. il pay the fine.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:01 AM

Iwould say its upto the DEC Officers interpretation of the situation, I believe NYS law says that when the game is reduced to ones possession it needs to be tagged.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

you know, I really dont even know what the law is on this matter where I hunt. We have a liscense we have to fill out and we usually do that at the house before taking it to the check in station. Maybe I should change the method! EJ
Old 11-28-2005, 08:56 AM
Spike

Barnex, Here in New York State we have months and days on the edge of the tag, you are suppose to cut out the appropriate day and mo. as soon as you get your deer. then you can fill the tag out back at your vehicle, that way you can't use the excuse I forgot my pen. Everyone ussually carries a knife to gut there deer, right??
Old 11-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

thesource has it right when it comes to the tagging of NYS deer. For you hunters that have forgotten a pen you can use the exposed head of a lead tipped CFbulletto fill out your tag. Once you get back to your camp or transport then you can go over it with a pen. I have done it this way a couple of times. For you guys that don't have an exposed lead tipped bullet(ML, archers and shotgun)than you better carry a pen.

Quick Reply: "Un-tagged deer" DEC ticket NOT HAPPY!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.