Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY opening day, how'd ya do..? >

NY opening day, how'd ya do..?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY opening day, how'd ya do..?

Old 11-27-2005, 07:16 PM

Default RE: NY opening day, how'd ya do..?

Been out 3 days and haven't seen one deer nor any fresh signs. This has been the weirdest deer season ever for me. I hunt in 3P
Old 11-27-2005, 07:35 PM

Saw a lot of does but that was it. Two of my buddies shot bucks, one a nice 6 pointer and one a really nice 8. I shot a coyote but that was it. I had 3 does mill around under my stand for about 20 minutes just before sundown while at the same timesomething big in the woods directly behind me stomping around and grunting. I couldn't get him to come out and when it got dark, I finally started to get down scaring the does away. Whatever was in the woods snorted twice and bolted. It sounded big but who knows. I hunted 8M.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me personally, I Did not fill my tag - I passed 2 scrubby bucks - and saw more does and fawns than I saw all bow season. The snow (up to an honest 1 ft) - really brought the deer to the corn. 7M - no doe permits here. But with the numbers of does I've seen the 1st week - I'll feel good taking one with the Black powder at the end of the season if given the chance.

Our group took 3 bucks, all 4 points - andotherspassed5 small bucks - we hunt 200 acres. The neighbors tooka couple - I know of 2 different 8 points taken on the land tha borders us - and heard some other very close shots -

Good luck - the season's just getting good if you still have a tag!

FH
Old 11-28-2005, 04:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

i hope your being sarcastic ny
ive got trespassers,poachers and ringing ears from all the gun shots
weve got to think of a plan to get the state to change the law from 5-3 shells
I wish I was being sarcastic. I'm glad the 1st week is over and I'm in one piece. Maybe the woods won't sound like like a warzone or look like a three ringed circus for the rest of the season.

I did hear that the people that share a part of the land with us have taken 10 bucks between 3 people. Most of them at night I believe. [:@][:@]

I LOVE GUN SEASON!!!
Old 11-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt the CWD contaminate zone. 1300 deer have been killed. 300 by hunters and 1000 by DEC. Not a 1 has CWD. I think it`s funny that Onieda county, which has the highest car to deer accident ratio has CWD but no deer have been found with it(well except the doe and fawn). I wonder if they broke out of the farm that had CWD at it. Could Progressive and Gieco have anything to do with it? Things that make you go HMMMMMMMM.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt the CWD contaminate zone. 1300 deer have been killed. 300 by hunters and 1000 by DEC. Not a 1 has CWD.
that's interesting. I was wondering about that the other day. Havent' heard any other reports of deer with CWD in NY since hunting season began. Very interesting. You have to check all the deer in Oneida I assume?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

all of Onieda and Madison county deer must be brought to the Rome check station or a DEC approved butcher. here`s a link to the map where the deer have been tested. http://www.dec.state.ny.us/apps/cwd/ . I just can`t believe that the DEC shot 1,000 deer in this area. Also it was real hard to get one let alone two doe tags this yr. I really haven`t seen nowhere near as many deer this yr as I have in the past. I do alot of scouting starting in aug.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

cant do much now...i believe the spot is deserted..they push it everydaty
Old 11-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

can anyone help me out posting a pic. i cant resize the pic.....i got a pic of my deer i would like to put on
Old 11-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Strechhunts where did you get that info. that hunters killed 300 deer and DEC killed 1000. I hunted 6p with my friend and his dad where they both killed bucks. All I saw were does but I did not want to use up my friend's 6p permit. I was given a couple of permits for 7H and 7F (onondaga and cayuga county)? where I took my 2 does. I am not too sure as I am not from that area of NYS. I plan on going back to 6P for ML season and hopefully will take another doe for my freezer. My friend had told me that around 1500 deer were checked into the check station but I assummed it was by hunters . Are you saying DEC was still out shooting them during the season. My friend said DEC shot around 250 in the summer but never mentioned anything about the other numbers.

Quick Reply: NY opening day, how'd ya do..?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.