Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY opening day, how'd ya do..? >

NY opening day, how'd ya do..?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY opening day, how'd ya do..?

Old 11-22-2005, 03:02 PM

Default RE: NY opening day, how'd ya do..?

Dutchess County off of RT 9G on state land with one of my sons ,total deer seen was 4 does.I did let them pass hopeing a buck would be in the herd.
I can say some guys are a little crazy when it comes to hunting deer ,seem I almost step over a guy in the woods full camo,I wonder are the deer more important then you own life.
I must of heard 20 shots that were close , one guy shoot a doe just under my stand. The doe took off up the ridge and he starts tracking and seem he did not even know which way the deer went,as he was getting closer to were I was posted I told him he was going the wrong way.I hunt with a m/l and know the first shot counts these guys are shooting 5 rounfs at a running deer
I think they have to spend a little more time at the range during the off season before they start to take target pratice on a deer.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:14 PM

Passed up a bunch of small does and a few small bucks - i already have a freezer full from Archery - so i am being picky - I went all day without taking a shot until about an hour before dark a nice big doe came running through and I decided to fill my last doe tag and concentrate on a big buck for the rest of the season - 120 yrds with a .243 win Savage model 11 - only a couple of steps before she went down. -

Good luck to everyone
Old 11-23-2005, 01:30 PM

Opening Day I saw a doe at 6:40 ambut was too dark to pick her out in the scope, could only see thewhite onher. Jumped a buck at 12:30 pm when heading to another stand after meeting up with everyone else in the group for lunch. Other than that I didn't see anything for the rest of the day.

The second day someone trespassed on our property and shot at a deer no more than 100 yds. away and pushed four does toward me but instantly picked up on my movement and before I could get the gun shouldered, they were off into the adjacent hemlocks and being up in a tree stand those hemlock branches limit your visibility very quick.

The guy later on ended up standing 75 yds. behind my stand for a while. I heard good sized branches snapping all morning behind me but didn't see anything. When I got out of my stand to meet up with everyone for lunch I saw him and I stared him down. He pretended that I wasn't there by looking all around almost never looking right at me, he couldn't miss me because I had my blaze orange vest on to move through the woods. After ten minutes he moved off.

It was in 7R area.

So a total of 6 deer all weekend. Very discouraging. Since it is about a 5 hour ride out, wont be back out there this year. Hopefully next spring when I go out for turkey season, I can get better prepared for the deer season by moving some stands around.

The thing that disappoints me most is I didn't fire a shot yet out of my new 870 at a deer and put the new Hornady SST's to the test.

When things are slow on stand, you should get yourself a radio. Listening to some of the stories of guys in the area being said over the radio are hilarious. Obviously have it on the lowest volume level. One guy had a guy walk by his stand. Later he had two does in front of his stand and a big buck further out and he thought there were two bucks fighting behind him. The next thing he knew the deer took off and he couldn't figure out why. Right after that the guy was back walking by his stand rattling antlers. Then he sat right next to the base of his stand while he was on stand. It was hilarious listening to it, every other word coming out of his mouth was the F-bomb and he named the guy @$$ho!e, not call him an @$$ho!e but named him one which made it sound even more funny.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

As previously reported my friend and his dad shot a 7 and a spike the first day in 6P. I waited long enough and shot 2 does on tues. and weds afternoon in 7H and 7F.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Spike

Saw 3 does on opening day but i'm in a no doe area (4p). second day had a doe walk right up to my stand and hung around for 1/2 hour then walked away. last day bumped two deer walking in and that was it. The other 2 guysI was hunting with both saw bucks but couldn't get shots.
Overall a really good trip even though none of us got deer.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

seen several doe until today a good sized spike ran up to me @7:45 back home by 8:30 can't complain anymore
Old 11-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in Canastota. I shot a nice 4 point after only being in the stand for 1/2 hr. It wasn`t the monster I was looking for but it so far has been the only buck I`ve seen. Now I`m working on getting my wife her first buck.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:22 PM

cant say a good day but filled a doe tag were did the bucks go in fulton co.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

WOW hunted hard all week and only saw 10 deer. All does except the 4 pt I shot and a buck we kicked out doing a drive but no shot. My poor wife is getting ready to give up. 4 yrs and no buck. I told her to shoot a doe but she wants first kill to be a buck,LOL. Good girl. Alot of the guys in town aren`t seeing the number of deer they are used to.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hope your being sarcastic ny
ive got trespassers,poachers and ringing ears from all the gun shots
weve got to think of a plan to get the state to change the law from 5-3 shells

Quick Reply: NY opening day, how'd ya do..?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.