Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA Deer Management Units...Update!!! >

PA Deer Management Units...Update!!!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Deer Management Units...Update!!!

Old 10-09-2002, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA Deer Management Units...Update!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Release #87-02 October 8, 2002

NEW WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT UNITS/DEER MANAGEMENT PLANS UNVEILED
GAME COMMISSION RECOGNIZES EMPLOYEES FOR SAVING LIVES
GAME COMMISSION SHOOTING TEAM WINS NATIONAL TITLE
LEHIGH COUNTY GROUP RECOGNIZED FOR CLEANUP EFFORTS ON SGL 217
HARRISBURG - While the 2002-2003 seasons are just getting underway, the Pennsylvania Game Commission's Bureau of Wildlife Management already is looking to next year and considering ways to improve - and in some cases, simplify - the future of hunting and trapping.

First, Drs. Matthew Lovallo and Christopher Rosenberry presented new wildlife management units that the Bureau of Wildlife Management will propose using beginning with the 2003-2004 seasons for nearly all species management.

&quot;Given the problems associated with current species-specific management units and county boundaries, and the actual or potential changes to some management units, the Bureau conducted a thorough review of all management unit systems,&quot; said Calvin W. DuBrock, director of the agency's Bureau of Wildlife Management. &quot;The final product contains 21 management units grouped and identified according to five larger units.&quot;

Characteristics used to design the new wildlife management units included: habitat; human density; public/private land ownership; recognizable physical features, such as major roads and the Susquehanna River; and land use practices, such as agriculture, timber and development.

Currently, the Game Commission uses different units to manage bear, beaver, bobcat, deer, elk, pheasant, quail, turkey, waterfowl and other migratory game birds.

If approved by the Board of Game Commissioners, the only two categories that will not be managed using the new wildlife management unit system are: elk, which are primarily confined to an 835-square-mile area in northcentral Pennsylvania; and waterfowl and migratory game birds, which are managed using frameworks set forth by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Second, Dr. Marrett Grund, Game Commission wildlife biologist and member of the Bureau of Wildlife Management's Deer Management Section, offered an overview of the agency's development of a deer management plan. In July, to begin the public input portion of the process, Grund convened a meeting of stakeholders to discuss and suggest goals and objectives for the agency's deer management plan.

During the meetings, the stakeholder group identified six goals:

To provide public and private landowners with the deer management tools they need to achieve their land use objectives;

To increase recreational opportunities involving deer;

To reduce human/deer conflicts;

To improve the health and sustainability of the ecosystem;

To increase citizen understanding of healthy ecosystems and deer herds; and

To improve and maintain a healthy deer herd.
The Deer Management Section will take the work product of the stakeholder meeting and develop management strategies to accommodate the goals and objectives identified during the meeting.

Lastly, Dr. Gary Alt, Game Commission wildlife biologist and Deer Management Section supervisor, presented an overview of the current draft of the Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP), which is designed to address specific deer management objectives within the new wildlife management units.

&quot;While many people thought new deer management units would be smaller than the current county-based units, the development of the new wildlife management units demonstrated that smaller units would not be practical,&quot; Dr. Alt said. &quot;Using the new larger wildlife management units, DMAP will enable public and private landowners to address deer management goals on a more localized basis.

&quot;We are working to design DMAP to build a better relationship between hunters and landowners so that we can get the right number of antlerless deer harvested in the right areas. By doing so, we hope to improve the deer herd and lessen deer impacts on the habitat.&quot;

The Bureau of Wildlife Management intends to present final drafts of the new wildlife management units and DMAP for the Board of Game Commissioners to consider at its meeting in January.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Old 10-09-2002, 10:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA Deer Management Units...Update!!!

Cant wait to see the map!!!

Member of NRA, BASS, Buckmasters and Life member of UBP.........Kill a big doe, Let the little bucks grow
Old 10-10-2002, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

You and me both BT! I think this could be good, but I'm worried the boundaries will be bad for me. I live right along the Allegany River in Warren county....I have an idea that the boundary for this new area could be the river and Kinzua Reservoir. I hunt both sides alot....time will tell.

Old 10-10-2002, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Based on what I know of the northeast corner of PA I would think that some road further west would better divide types of habitat.
We'll be in this together though, My camp is 1 mile from the Allegheny in Tionesta. When we hunt out of camp we probably do 80% of our hunting east of it but maybe that will change. I hunt Allegheny and Westmoreland here at home and would bet that Allegheny will still be managed seperately.
Probably will take some time and tweaking before they get it right but at least we're
headed in the right direction.

Member of NRA, BASS, Buckmasters and Life member of UBP.........Kill a big doe, Let the little bucks grow