Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Fawn Killers Make me Sick >

Fawn Killers Make me Sick

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Fawn Killers Make me Sick

Old 10-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fawn Killers Make me Sick

I live in an area overrun with does, and if I can verify that the smaller deer is a doe, it's getting some lead or carbon sent it's way. a trophy is a trophy regardless of what other people think of it. banned, I think that is a bit harsh, not to mention childish.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

Harvesting fawns have a biological impact, just as any deer harvested.

There are sound reasons into harvesting young deer, and the state's know this, which is why it is legal.

I think this might be a case of the kettle calling the pot black here with people who believe you should never harvest a fawn.

I wouldn't do a war dance if I harvested one, but I would respect it the same as any deer taken. I say you should get off your high horse...
Old 10-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know what...I say:
If you chose to take it, it is legal, you are proud of it and you don't contradict yourself by later complaining about no good bucks around or scarcity of deer in general, hold your head high.
I just wouldn't go to lengths to brag too much over it.
As far as "breeders" go, I was under the assumption that a fawn doe is bred their first year on the planet. They come into estrous in what they call the "second rut". The herd would be in bad straights if it took two years of age to drop fawns.
You know what else...this thread should be DELETED
Old 10-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: livbucks

You know what...I say:
If you chose to take it, it is legal, you are proud of it and you don't contradict yourself by later complaining about no good bucks around or scarcity of deer in general, hold your head high.
I just wouldn't go to lengths to brag too much over it.
As far as "breeders" go, I was under the assumption that a fawn doe is bred their first year on the planet. They come into estrous in what they call the "second rut". The herd would be in bad straights if it took two years of age to drop fawns.
You know what else...this thread should be DELETED
Not all first year does are bred. It depends on their maturity at the time, usually based on when they were dropped, and the habitat. A late dropped fawn doe, or one with poorhabitatwill normally not breed until the following year. Some are bred without a question though.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

After spending hundreds of hours with NJ hunters and on NJ hunting websites...I would like to make it clear that the above statement does not reflect on the beliefs of many New Jersey Hunters. In fact the statement is not even correct. There are many parts of the state that do not require harvesting a doe before a buck. There is absolutely no need to harvest unwanted does simple to harvest a buck.
The statement is correct. Check out zone 10
Old 10-28-2005, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

I dont try to shoot any young deer. though i think if they are alone sometimes it could be hard to tell.. and its legal and if someone wants to so be itand good for them. i kinda just went through this fast but did i read somethingsomeome said about PA hunters and they are sick of hearing about the deer issues or something?
Old 10-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: joedjr

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

There are many parts of the state that do not require harvesting a doe before a buck.
The statement is correct. Check out zone 10
Which part didn't you understand?
Old 10-28-2005, 08:51 PM

I think chip needs to be harvested
Old 10-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

i agree with him.with all the deer that are around why shot a 40 to 50 lbs deer???you get hardly anything out of it.plus here in mass they print your name,what you killed,and weight in the local paper.let me tell you if you shoot something small people let you know about it.let the small ones walk geeshhhhhhhhhh
Old 10-29-2005, 02:29 AM

I don't see a problem with shooting a small doe.It sounds as if you are worried more about BB'S.If so try to get the game comm.to go to a earn a buck system as some states have.If it is a BB then it has to be tagged as a buck, if you have a buck tag left.We need to get rid of the terms antlered and antlerless it is a false statement in the eyes of mother nature.
A BB issimply that a young buck not an antlerless deer which when shot and reported is considered a doe.No wonder the deer herds are all out of whack. At least have on the harvest card more information like boxes to check for buck,doe and button buck Then you will at least know exactly what was harvested and call a spade a spade.

Quick Reply: Fawn Killers Make me Sick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.