Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions? >

NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Old 01-12-2006, 05:08 PM

Default RE: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Welcome to the forms John! And I will say that I completely agree with you.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Old 01-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stretch,

You posted in the wrong thread.... Ibelieve you meant to post that guy in the "other" 20 pg thread
Old 01-12-2006, 08:13 PM

My theory is being proven... here is hunterjohn, a person who is a fulltime student favoring ARs... I bet he had a long break between classes to hunt, probably private land also. How about us hunters who have to work for a living and spend time with the family and can only get out once a week to hunt? If I see a buck I should be able to legally shoot it. Shooting does in my area isn't going to help the herd none. By the way hunterjohn, I get off my azz when I hunt and usually spend the whole day when I get a day to hunt. I own a small 60 acres lot and I don't let anyone with 4 wheelers on it. Not to stereotype people who are in favor of ARs but most people I know who are older and in favor of ARs use to be the biggest outlaws around. They've had their full of killing small bucks and now they're changing their tunes. How bout hunters like me who don't get a buck every year and always been doing it legally? Why stop me now from killing my one 4 pointer a year? You proponets are nothing but a bunch of horn hungry jerks!
Old 01-12-2006, 08:47 PM

yeah i am a full time student, 19 years old.
but no i did NOT have private land to hunt on, i was hunting on state land and it was land that i never knew existed until this fall.

by the way you talk, you wouldnt be excited if a couple nice 8 pointers walked down the trail to you. because thats what you would be seing if there were ar's
Old 01-12-2006, 09:11 PM

Besides hunting is not about killing, otherwise it would be calledkilling

dont you enjoy watching deer?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:26 PM

He dosent have time to watch deer.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

hj123 - please detail the type of AR you believe would make this big change and why it would work. Points based, spread, age or other type?

Thanks
Steve
Old 01-13-2006, 10:01 AM

i believe that if new york had the same regulations as PA, 3 points to one side, it would make a big difference in the size of the bucks killed

even though there are those bucks that are only a year and a half that may have 3 points to one side already, most of them dont have very long points
with antler restrictions you would have to get a really good look at a buck like that to tell that it had 3 points on one side, alot of times you dont really get that chance, giving that buck a better chance at surviving atleast until its second year with a rack.

the spikes and 4 pointers dont have much of a rack their first year, but that doesnt mean that they dont have the potential to be great bucks, it could be that they were a late fawn and/or all of it's growing went into its body and the next year the growing will be more pointed towards antler growth.

it may mean that there will be fewer bucks killed the first or second year with the AR's, but that wasnt the case here in PA, the AR's would also help balance the deer herd, get closer to one buck to 2 or 3 doe ratio, where as right now i see the herd at about 1 buck to every 6 or 7 does.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take the time to read the 17 pages posted here. Better than 50% of the 1 1/2 yo bucks here have 3 or more per side. Points based Ar will shift the pressure to them insuring they are all but wiped out the first year. The spikes and forks that are spared will be for the most part be small 3 per side at 2 1/2 and also targeted. Points based Ar assures that all small immature bucks will still be targeted. Points based Ar does little to allow deer to mature - and 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 are far from mature.

To me it makes no sense and is wrong to tell someone they must pass on a spike or any other young deer so you or someone else will be able to shoot it as an IMMATURE 2 1/2 yo 6 pt scoring maybe 70.

NYS is too varied in conditions to have a one size fits all approach. What may work in one area will be completely wrong for another. Points based Ar is too simplistic an approach and has far too many faults to have it mandatory. If you want to hunt big deer let the YOUNG ones walk. And threw example and education, encourage others to also. But don't try to determine for all what is a "big enough" deer to shoot.

Quick Reply: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.