Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions? >

NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Old 12-27-2005, 04:44 PM

Default RE: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

It is hard to tell what the facts are coming out of PA, as the PGC has not released any information on the success or failure of AR. We hear a lot from unhappy hunters on this and other posts about the declining conditions in PA but isthis outcryoccurring more, less or about the sameas we hear fromNY hunters? So, the question is, is the contemporary way of managing our deer herd the way we should continue? Let's face it the deer herd is declining in NY, hunter numbers are down as a result, and many of us are frustrated that we spend hours in the woods just to see one or two does. In my opinion, something must be done and it is called change.I know this word scares many, as it means things will be different. Yes, there is a chance that things could get worse but there is a greater likelyhood that they will get better as they are already pretty bad. No, this is not a guarantee or promisethat they will get, but in life there are few of those. I would recommend that everyone look at the attached site... if nothing else, it providesa balanced perspective from wildlife biologists & hunters on what may be a viable option for NY.(http://www.cnywhitetails.com)
Old 12-27-2005, 04:56 PM

Is that proposal only for Region 7?
Old 12-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to read the whole thing to understand it.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:07 PM

That didn’t answer my question.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

PAGE 3lists the wmu's - 7j, 7h, and 7f. Try the link.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:42 PM

Ok yup, thx Steve.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to be sarcastic- I'm working on it. It is importament to thoroughly read the whole thing. There are some great points, good points, and points that I disagree with. It also points out that what they propose may not be good for all areas. Those wmu's have good genetics and great habitat - at least part of them(all wmu vary greatly).

Iv'e read it several times and pick up something new each time.

Steve
Old 12-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

maybe in certain areas and these areas are rotated every year. i took a shot at a buck opening day. i was on the ground, he was running on the edge. long story short i thought it was a 4 pointer. walked up to it after to discover it was a 9 pointer. if there were restrictions say 6-8 points total i would have missed this guy cause i couldn't I.D. well. i'll tell you one thing if there is a restriction i hope it only lasts for a year or two. i don't like the fact that the hunt would get tougher for me. land now adays is becoming more developed and harder to hunt if huntable at all. thank god for public land
Old 12-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

we like the AR restriction here in pa.2g is 3 points on 1side.what we dont like is the SLOBS that are using this restriction to get a deer and put the junior hunters tags on it. we think it should be 3 points on 1 side for all of us, including kids. this way the young bucks would survive to get to at least 2.5 years old, not the 1.5 years old .i am not a rack hunter but way it is now, SLOBS have advantage over us honest adults and kids. SLOBSsaying now, BROWN ITS DOWN WITH A KIDS TAG.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:22 PM

No plan is ever perfect as there are those that will look for loop holes to try to beat the system. Hopefully, PGC realize that and closes it before it starts to spread. One of the other benefits of AR or width restriction is that you do need to indentify the game animal you are shooting at before you squeeze the trigger and helps to reduce hunting accidents. None of this brown and and itsdown BS.

Quick Reply: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.