Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions? >

NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Old 12-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Welcome AndesNY2! Andes is about an hour from my home in Woodstock NY.My father and brother have hunted deer in your area for many years.I do some turkey hunting up that way.Again welcome! I wholeheartedly agree with what you have written!Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2005, 05:23 PM

Merry Christmas to you too tsoc. Hopefully we can get a few others and the DEC on board with AR in all of NY. For now I'm just glad that they have stopped the DMP's in many areas.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Antler restiction will help overall hunter satisfaction byincreasing the number of opportunitiesfor hunters that not only want venison but a nice set of antlers as well.
Convince me a 60 class 6 point basket rack is better than a 4 pt, spike or even a BB and I'l listen.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:40 PM

I think the vast majority of hunters that support AR are not looking to shoot 60 class 6 pointers but hoping for larger.I guess the fundemental question is, what is a hunter looking for? If it's meat for the freezer, shoot a doe. If it is trophy buck, you will have to pass on small bucks and hope that they survive another year. With AR at least those 1 1/2 yr old bucks have a chance to grow one more year. I pass on small bucks and hope that they will still be alive next year but know that the vast majority are being shot before they can reach 2-3 and really ever 4. AR isn't perfect but rather a compromise. It still allows for buck and doe hunting but with the added benefit of potentially trophy quality down the road. This means that hunters may have to pass on a few smaller bucks before the quantity of legal bucks actually reaches agreater percent of the population.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the vast majority of hunters that support AR are not looking to shoot 60 class 6 pointers but hoping for larger.
So what are they looking for? A 70, 90, 110? Still young, immature bucks. Who gets to decide and why do they get to choose for everyone?

For now I'm just glad that they have stopped the DMP's in many areas.
AR isn't perfect but rather a compromise. It still allows for buck and doe hunting but with the added benefit of potentially trophy quality down the road.
These seem to contradict - how can you "just shoot a doe" if the population doesn't allow permits?

A compromise that promotes trophy hunters desiresand keep sthe hunter who likes to get out with friends and family a couple days, see some deer and maybe get a chance at one. That 60 class, spike or fork is their trophy. Deny them this and in a few years hunter #'s will drop. Maybe this is what the more horn guys want - less competition. No compromise here I can see - just giving the trophy guys what they want and to heck with everyone else.

Steve

Old 12-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know and understand the argument, that a 1 1/2 yr old deer could havemin of three points per sideand thereforehave better than average genetic potential but that will be more the exception than the rule.
Not according to two people from The Bureau of Wildlife.
Go to the following link:http://www.cnywhitetails.com/. Download and veiw the proposal these guys want to inact in 7j,7h,and 7k. See page 15.
I don't agree withmaking their ideas or anyones mandatory. But they have presented the downside to points based AR in areas of good nutrition. Interesting read.

Steve
Old 12-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I certainly agree it is a good read (http://www.cnywhitetails.com)that is exactly the type of information we should be referencing in this discussion .....
Old 12-26-2005, 03:36 PM

Beam width may be a much better alternative to AR. Sounds like a solid management plan as well.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:26 PM

I would like to see AR in my area. My area dose have some nice 120s now and then. but rare. Theres also alot of does, So theres your meat. it would be nice to have some bigger bucks running then what we manage on our private lands.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:13 PM

What about us hunters who are only able to get out to hunt a few times of the year. For example, at my place of work I often put in 50 hours a week. I'm not self employed or retired and I can't get out to hunt all that often. My point is, I can't hunt all damn week to wait for that trophy. If I see a small buck, that is my trophy and is usually the only deer I get all year.

If we did have AR and after a few years you shot a decent sized deer, would that be any more of a trophy than a 4 pointer before ARs????? Afterall, that buck could've been passed up when he was a smaller buck.

I'm sick of all this talk about ARs... Talk to the ANYONE who lives and hunt in Potter or McKean County of PA and see what they think of ARs.. I haven't met one person yet who is in favor of it.. Where are the trophies in PA?

Some of you may say pass on a small buck and shoot that doe for meat. My response to that is that is why our deer herd is hurting, too many of you doe killers and helping destroy the herd!

Quick Reply: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.