Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions? >

NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Old 10-27-2005, 07:01 PM

Default NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions??
Old 10-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

No.

But it will certainly be a fight in the near future, with Ulster County getting the test study.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:32 PM

No, No and more NO's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2005, 05:29 AM
Spike

I would like to see it happen.I think it would do good things.I like the idea of the pilot program and wished it happened here.I know that everyone isnt after the horns but it is one of the reasons I like to hunt.Just my 2 cents dont beat me up to bad.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

!!!!!!!!!!!!!NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2005, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh boy! It will be a painful process getting the "Dyed in the wool" folks to accept it. Within a few short years though, you guys will be experiencing buck hunting like you never dreamed. Well worth the wait. All you will be giving up is a spike or forkie per every 5 hunters or so for the first two years. A very good bargain! The "herd reduction" part will ruffle some feathers so, don't go too far with that part of it.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

I would love to see it implemented, but where I hunt in the Catskills, I don't think that the locals would adhere to it. They would keep shooting the smaller bucks as we pass year after year. If the DEC could beef up the # of game wardens, then I would say definitely yes.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would love to see it. I don't necessarily want to see herd reduction though like what has happened in many parts of PA, I would rather see the effort put into habitat improvement than HR. I would focus more of my time on hunting NY if these things wereimplemented.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

I'm ok with it during gun but not during archery.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some reasons for no in the area I hunt and my opinion:

1 - a large % of 3 per side you see are 1 1/2 yo - antler res would still allow these.

2 - See a lotof the spikes and forkies taken here that are older than above - these would be protected.

3 - Deer do not reach their true potential until at least 4 1/2 yo. That 2 1/2 yo 8 pt scoring 95 is still a YOUNG deer. Under antler res it is a "trophy". A young deer is a young deer. How is it right for someone who gets outs 3 times a year to have to pass up a 4 pt 1 1/2 yo so someone else can shoot it next year as that 8 pt scoring 95?

4 - A large number (I think) of those still buying hunting licenses are more casual hunters - they enjoy getting out with their friends and families a few times, like to see some deer, and have a reasonable chance to take one. And now there are many WMU with few or no doe permits. Hunter numbers are dropping every year - a trend AR may serve to accelerate among these hunters I described. Most hunters I talk to around her like to hunt DEER - sure seeing a big rack is nice, BUT NOT the motivating factor for them to hunt!

The recent trend to qualify a "good" deer by the number of points and to have that become the reason for hunting is disturbing at best. I was in a shop recently where a "trohy" hunter was coming down hard on a guy who had taken a spike. Thing is, this "trophy" hunter is the one who had taken that monster 8pt scoring 95 a few days earlier! His reason - " it was a better deer and would probably have got shot during gun"!

"Better" is a subjective term and differs for everyone! To make a law to benefit the "trophy" hunter happy with the 2 1/2 yo 8 point scoring 95 or even less, is wrong in my opinion

We keep losing numbers and we lessen our voice!

Education and personal responsibility is the way to allow mature deer to evolve. Keep pushing for hunters to learn to allow young deer to walk. And if you truly believe in the goal to have more big bucks, resolve to only shoot MATURE bucks, Not the 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 nice 10 points with potential. It stats with YOU.

Steve

Quick Reply: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.