HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/118612-ny-do-u-think-we-should-have-antler-restrictions.html)

kevin1 01-14-2006 12:18 AM

RE: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

I'm not fromyour neck of the woods , but what would possess you to limiteveryone else in your statethat way ?
Not everybody cares about trophy deer , in fact most people couldn't care less about them .Trophy hunters are a minority , mosthunters just want to get a deer , any deer . Deal with that because it's true whether you like it or not. The vastmajority of deer hunters are weekend warriors who are largely content to just see deer and hopefully shoot one during the average2-3 days a year that they hunt . Hardcores are far more rare than most of you are willing to admit , and here's a shocker , for all of your bluster and blather most of us statistically aren't hardcores .

If you truly want to snag a booner then why not just do whatmost of you aren'tdoing now , pass on the dinks , get more than 500 yards from your trucks , and get in deep where the big boys live. Buy a deer cart and a GPS , grab a buddy and hike in a mile or better , and look for the thick stuff . If you honestly want a chance at a state record that's really all it takes . Punking your DEC into adopting ridiculous restrictions whose only purpose is to (allegedly}grow a booner behind every bush will only ruin the huntingin generaland cheapen the experience for everyone. Get off your butts and hunt harder , that's whatit takes to gettrophies , not bull**** restrictions that only make you lazier than you already are. If this statement pisses you off it's because you know it's true . I've seen bigger bucks root digging 3 miles into a national forest than most of you will ever see in your entire life, stop trying to take the easy route and you'll see that I'm speaking the truth . Practice what you preach and your efforts will be rewarded with the kind of wallhangers that you all fantasize about and drool over when you're at a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops store . The guys who put those heads on the wall took my advice instead of bitching about it for the next 15 pages like you're going to . Nattering and cursing me won't put something to brag about on your wall , getting off your lazy asses and proving me right will .

Denny 01-14-2006 06:57 AM

Ididn't read all posts,been chasing grouse.
BUT
I am from thisneck of country, You got it exactly right kevin.
After opening day. Saturday this year, I thinkI counted about 5 shots the first week. I don't live in a big hunting area but even the pickup huntersdidn't show.

jcchartboy 01-14-2006 08:05 AM

Kevin 1 said:
If this statement pisses you off it's because you know it's true
LOL..that is a good one....

Thank you for the constructive post Kevin, it has answered all the questions...

stretchhunts 01-14-2006 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: hunterjohn123

ok, but alot of the bucks that may have 3 points to one side wont necessarily get shot, if the AR was enforced you would first have to be able to identify 3 points on one side before you could actually shoot. thats not possible in every hunting opportunity.

The key to your post is "If the AR was enforced" one DEC officer per 300 sq miles ain`t gonna cut it.

rotty404 01-15-2006 02:13 PM

"Hell Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

stretchhunts 01-16-2006 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: rotty404

"Hell Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Rotty welcome to the forums. What`s your reasoning behind the hell nooooooooooooo? just wondering.

jf5 01-16-2006 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Not everybody cares about trophy deer , in fact most people couldn't care less about them .Trophy hunters are a minority , mosthunters just want to get a deer , any deer .
Not everyone who supports AR feels it is a trophy restriction. Too many guys associate AR with trophy snobs. Thats not the case...

kevin1 01-16-2006 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: jf5

Not everybody cares about trophy deer , in fact most people couldn't care less about them .Trophy hunters are a minority , mosthunters just want to get a deer , any deer .
Not everyone who supports AR feels it is a trophy restriction. Too many guys associate AR with trophy snobs. Thats not the case...
True enough , but those of us who don't trophy hunt still have to live with those pipe dream restrictions just as you do when you get them installed . I don't like being told that I have no choice but to shoot a buck that has "antlers out to here" or a minimum number of points when all I want is to hunt in peace and all you have to do is be more selective .Forcing everybody to hunt the way you do is just wrong . In my state a buck isn't considered to be antlered unless it has at least one antler that's at least 3" long . But depending on what county you're hunting in here youcan take up to 12 antlerless deer , what's to stop you from shooting nothing but buttons and skewing the buck to doe ratio ? You see , it works both ways sometimes .

Education is the key , not foolish restrictions that force others to hunt the way you do . If bagging a buck with a rack like the Charter Oak is what turns your crank then encourage others to think that way too , but don't try to force them to do it your way , you'll turn off more than you turn on . Don't press your state F&G dept. for restrictions , ask the biologists that your tax dollars are paying for what it will take to gradually improve the herd , herds don't change overnight regardless of what we do . Improve access opportunities by convincing farmers and other landowners that allowing hunters to take out their "nuisance deer" is a good thing and won't cost them anything . While you're performing that service work toward balancing the ratio of the deer that you don't shoot so that you can get closer to your goal of a balanced ratio in that area .

Honey attracts far more flies than vinegar , strive for a balance between what you want and what everybody else wants . Farmers and insurance companies want less deer , fine , take out more deer but take them out in an educated way . Rank and file hunters , who outnumber trophy hunters , just want to go out for the few days each year that they do and just hunt , leave them alone . Your state F&G dept. wants to maintain an overall healthy herd , fine , help them . Volunteer for cull hunts where the deer are overpopulated and take them out . Donate the carcasses to a food bank or other program for the hungry if you can , or just select a local family who needs the meat and cut and package it for them . This one is a favorite of mine , I like to give back a little for what I've received and the result is immediate .

You see ? It doesn't always have to be about braggin' rights , and if you work it right everbody wins . Think about it .

jf5 01-17-2006 10:28 AM

ORIGINAL: jf5

True enough , but those of us who don't trophy hunt still have to live with those pipe dream restrictions just as you do when you get them installed . I don't like being told that I have no choice but to shoot a buck that has "antlers out to here" or a minimum number of points when all I want is to hunt in peace and all you have to do is be more selective .Forcing everybody to hunt the way you do is just wrong . In my state a buck isn't considered to be antlered unless it has at least one antler that's at least 3" long . But depending on what county you're hunting in here youcan take up to 12 antlerless deer , what's to stop you from shooting nothing but buttons and skewing the buck to doe ratio ? You see , it works both ways sometimes .

Education is the key , not foolish restrictions that force others to hunt the way you do . If bagging a buck with a rack like the Charter Oak is what turns your crank then encourage others to think that way too , but don't try to force them to do it your way , you'll turn off more than you turn on . Don't press your state F&G dept. for restrictions , ask the biologists that your tax dollars are paying for what it will take to gradually improve the herd , herds don't change overnight regardless of what we do . Improve access opportunities by convincing farmers and other landowners that allowing hunters to take out their "nuisance deer" is a good thing and won't cost them anything . While you're performing that service work toward balancing the ratio of the deer that you don't shoot so that you can get closer to your goal of a balanced ratio in that area .

Honey attracts far more flies than vinegar , strive for a balance between what you want and what everybody else wants . Farmers and insurance companies want less deer , fine , take out more deer but take them out in an educated way . Rank and file hunters , who outnumber trophy hunters , just want to go out for the few days each year that they do and just hunt , leave them alone . Your state F&G dept. wants to maintain an overall healthy herd , fine , help them . Volunteer for cull hunts where the deer are overpopulated and take them out . Donate the carcasses to a food bank or other program for the hungry if you can , or just select a local family who needs the meat and cut and package it for them . This one is a favorite of mine , I like to give back a little for what I've received and the result is immediate .

You see ? It doesn't always have to be about braggin' rights , and if you work it right everbody wins . Think about it .
Well, not all feel the restrictions are foolish.We have size limits for fish to maintain a healthy, and balanced adult population. You are in fact "TOLD", not to harvest fish of a certain size, etc. Should those laws be repealed too??Most states alreadyhave a 3" spike min which is an AR as well, and restricts the way people harvest game. So you are alreadyTOLD what you can harvest there too. Whats the issue of upping it a notch for deer? I am not saying you have to make it 130 class only, or 4 points per side. But a few males making post the spike stage could help improve the overall herds male age strcuture. And the herd will be better forit in the long run as will the hunting for all hunters.

Game laws should be reviewed and changed accordingly with the changing situations. It has worked well for fisheries, and for game animals. I know its hard to change tradition, but AR is notabout trophy snobs ideals.

BigJohn H 01-18-2006 06:35 AM

Yes!