HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/118612-ny-do-u-think-we-should-have-antler-restrictions.html)

SPIKEHORN11 10-28-2005 08:51 AM

RE: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

I have mixed feelings but would lean towards NO. I think we would loose alot of hunters that are just fet up with taking a deer now. Alot of us have had those years where you don't take anything and just wanna sell your gear cause your just sick of it. My grandfather hasn't taken a deer in I don't know how many years but I would hate to see the restriction in place when he finally has a shot at a deer and can't cause it is a spike.

pjarrows 10-28-2005 09:02 AM

YES, YES, YES, and YES

Phade 10-28-2005 09:25 AM

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Some reasons for no in the area I hunt and my opinion:

1 - a large % of 3 per side you see are 1 1/2 yo - antler res would still allow these.

2 - See a lotof the spikes and forkies taken here that are older than above - these would be protected.

3 - Deer do not reach their true potential until at least 4 1/2 yo. That 2 1/2 yo 8 pt scoring 95 is still a YOUNG deer. Under antler res it is a "trophy". A young deer is a young deer. How is it right for someone who gets outs 3 times a year to have to pass up a 4 pt 1 1/2 yo so someone else can shoot it next year as that 8 pt scoring 95?

4 - A large number (I think) of those still buying hunting licenses are more casual hunters - they enjoy getting out with their friends and families a few times, like to see some deer, and have a reasonable chance to take one. And now there are many WMU with few or no doe permits. Hunter numbers are dropping every year - a trend AR may serve to accelerate among these hunters I described. Most hunters I talk to around her like to hunt DEER - sure seeing a big rack is nice, BUT NOT the motivating factor for them to hunt!

The recent trend to qualify a "good" deer by the number of points and to have that become the reason for hunting is disturbing at best. I was in a shop recently where a "trohy" hunter was coming down hard on a guy who had taken a spike. Thing is, this "trophy" hunter is the one who had taken that monster 8pt scoring 95 a few days earlier! His reason - " it was a better deer and would probably have got shot during gun"!

"Better" is a subjective term and differs for everyone! To make a law to benefit the "trophy" hunter happy with the 2 1/2 yo 8 point scoring 95 or even less, is wrong in my opinion

We keep losing numbers and we lessen our voice!

Education and personal responsibility is the way to allow mature deer to evolve. Keep pushing for hunters to learn to allow young deer to walk. And if you truly believe in the goal to have more big bucks, resolve to only shoot MATURE bucks, Not the 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 nice 10 points with potential. It stats with YOU.

Steve

I about just dropped dead there. The thought of me agreeing with Steve...oh.my.gosh.:D

I think AR is not to be done on a gov't level. It's a personal choice.

tj_cubin 10-28-2005 09:31 AM

nope
it swould be the same scenario as me passing on a 4 pt now. it will walk onto the next guys property and get taken anyway. people around me wont adhere to those laws, and i dont want to get busted by a deer standing broadside because i cant see if it has a brow tine or not. Antlers are antlers to me, and if i dont shoot a buck, it will get shot the enxt day anyway. If everyone that hunt would agree to it, i would consider, but its too unreasonable

EatsLead 10-28-2005 11:47 AM

I like the idea of bigger bucks but I am not a huge fan of antler restrictions. Ohio has lots of good bucks and I don't think they have antler restrictions. I know the have a 1 buck/year limit. What else are they doing right?

jf5 10-28-2005 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: SPIKEHORN11

I have mixed feelings but would lean towards NO. I think we would loose alot of hunters that are just fet up with taking a deer now. Alot of us have had those years where you don't take anything and just wanna sell your gear cause your just sick of it. My grandfather hasn't taken a deer in I don't know how many years but I would hate to see the restriction in place when he finally has a shot at a deer and can't cause it is a spike.
I hear allot of guys complain of too many hunters in the woods in NY as it is. Maybe this will make them happy. (I'd love to hunt NY, AR or not..just looking for the right areas)

Off course you need to keep the numbers of hunters up to keep support for the sport.

The thing is, if AR is implemented, there are plenty of does for the "can't eat the horns" group to take. If they just want meat and don't care about horns, dosn't thisstill allow them a great opportunity to fill the freezer?? All the while protecting young bucks for the horn hunters??

Deleted User 10-28-2005 02:52 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

SteveBNy 10-28-2005 03:38 PM

I about just dropped dead there. The thought of me agreeing with Steve...oh.my.gosh.:D
Actually wrote this to support you on the buck you shot:D
Got one like him last year.
Steve

jcchartboy 10-28-2005 03:52 PM

NYBowhunter said:

I'm ok with it during gun but not during archery.
huh?....

That sounds like a biologically sound management decision...:eek:

Phade 10-28-2005 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Actually wrote this to support you on the buck you shot:D
Got one like him last year.
Steve
That buck was actually a 2.5 yr old believe it or not. Hetipped the scale at 165lbs. fielddressed.The farmers have kept track of him since summer. I'm glad I got him out of the gene pool. 2.5's are 8's here, anything less, and I bag it. Last year, he was a three point, with one long spike on his left, and a fork on the right.

But, I take just as much pride in that buck than I do any buck, including a B&C or P&Y.

Man...this is a first. I guess you were right, we do have some ideas in common.:)