HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/118612-ny-do-u-think-we-should-have-antler-restrictions.html)

CattNY 12-27-2005 08:09 PM

RE: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

I agree that there are SLOB hunters, the problem is, there always was and probably always will be SLOB hunters. I don't agree with ARs and I really agree with the concept of waiving ARs for kids and seniors. I know there are people out there who shoot deer and putothers tags on the deer and those who don't tag at all. Even in NY, where I live in Cattaraugus County, some people would shoot their deer and then say they are bear hunting. When they're out in the woods "bear hunting" they see another deer, they shoot it, call up a buddy and put the buddy's tag on it or just quickly drag the deer home. Believe me, there will always be tricks to get around the system by those that wish to trick the system. I've even heard of people shooting deer and letting it lay when seeing how small it is. Unfortunately, I don't think poaching is uncommon at all. I'm sure most readers know or suspect of others who are poachers. The problem is with catching them. Sorry for rambling, this is off subject!

Phade 12-30-2005 07:26 AM

ORIGINAL: CattNY
I don't agree with ARs and I really agree with the concept of waiving ARs for kids and seniors.
Catt you bring up a huge point I've not often stated but have had a major issue with dealing with hunting. And with that I'll post a single remark about it because I believe it warrants it.

Currently, only the younger kids get the AR waiver in NY plans in work now. Seniors do not.

Additionally, the state (dec)has been concerned with declining numbers of hunters. They've been looking at two options to "fund" the bank of hunters in NY.

1 is the young and up and comers. They want to lowet the age limit, which I think will be done in a few years after the legislative battle.

Secondly, they want to tap into adults who have never had the chance to hunt, or got out of it and could likely return to hunting. Granted AR claims bigger bucks (which is debate material, and not going to be addressed in this post other than the fact I don't believe in it should be enacted) and it may entice hunters, but it is a big if...

MY thing is, new hunters (above the the low age limit) aren't going to idly sit by and watch a buck have to be passed many times before discouragement sets in. That totally defeats half of their recruitment base.

I also think some dummy is going to toss some lawsuit out there challenging the age exempted AR status as being some sort of discrimintation. As much as I hate that practice, someone would have a logical piece of ground to stand on.

sproulman 12-30-2005 08:34 PM

they wont close this loophole because they feel it will SELL licenses . you would not believe the number of junior licenses sold in last 2 years .licenses were not sold because of the exemption on AR.sadly, you dont see all those kids in woods that bought all those licenses. SLOBS are using this junior thing to hunt ,BROWN AND ITS DOWN WITHJUNIOR TAG. they dont have to look for AR .this is unfair to honest hunters with kids. i believe its happening more than we are aware of to.

farm hunter 12-30-2005 08:55 PM

they wont close this loophole because they feel it will SELL licenses
Without reading all the posts on this topic - I'd just like to say - that anyone who really thinks the DEC is out to just sell licenses -then I'll probably never, ever agree with a single thing they have to say on their word alone.

That said- I'm notfor AR in NY - even though I would personlly like it. I think we have too many hunters in NY for AR to be a good option. If the hunter numbers really drop in half over the next ten years like some are saying - I'd say we'd be foolish not to keep it open as an option.

FH

stretchhunts 01-01-2006 02:14 PM

I can`t find the newspaper article on this but I know there was one in the post standard right around opening day that said some local land owners around here where pushing the state to set an antler restriction. If I can dig the article up I`ll post the link.

sproulman 01-01-2006 03:04 PM

the AR is good thing, i believe.only problem is the violators of rule are having good time if they have kids tag.honest adults with kids are suffering. i still feel it should be AR for all of us. if not, the violators with kids tag will be ,BROWN ITS DOWN WITH KIDS TAG. they dont have to look to see if it is 3 points on side or 1 point. only way i know to stop it is to make AR for everyone.

NoKnees 01-01-2006 05:02 PM

I almost hate to step in to this one it seems so heated but here goes.

One question: If implemented does anyone know if it will be in effect in very low population areas like 5H? With no DMPs and having to count points I think it will get very challengeing to hunt up there as if its not already.

Maybe the soultion would be to offer prefference points for DMPs to senior and younger hunters.Give them 2-3 pref points.That way they would have a better chance for that DMP yet wouldn't throw a wrench into the AR intended goals.

NoKnees

sproulman 01-02-2006 08:39 AM

here in pa. we have AR. in 2g we have 3 point to side.we like itBUT will it work. i have seen a few big bucks killed this year.is it do to AR, yes. BUT, BUT, here is what is wrong with it. the little bucks are being killed.the juniors/senoirs can kill little ones. what we saw this year was VERY few little bucks were seen. last year juniors/seniors made a big kill on little bucks. then throw in no doe do to the massive doe killing in wmu 2g, you have very few deer ,let alone bucks.also no fawns. then you haveviolators of AR that shoot a little buck and have kid near by to tag it or kids tag.this hurts the honest adults with kids. here is my opinion, the AR should be for everyone. the violators dont want this.they have good thing going right now doing it illegal. do to not seeing very many little bucks now i feel this should be way to go. i am not a rack hunter but i like to see nice bucks.if we had a lot of little bucks, i would be first to say leave it alone. but we have very few little ones and no doe now in wmu 2g. take care.

huntingstillwildbill 01-02-2006 10:08 AM

I think everyone should! It keep most of the idiots from killing the button bucks and immature deer. Let them grow for God's sake! Everyone just wants to shoot any deer they see. If meat is that important to you, kill a doe!

PaRu 01-02-2006 11:01 AM

antler restrictions will make bigger bucks ,I think it would be good only if you have a lot of small deer that hunters are killing