HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/118612-ny-do-u-think-we-should-have-antler-restrictions.html)

SteveBNy 12-26-2005 05:45 PM

RE: NY do u think we should have a antler restrictions?

What about us hunters who are only able to get out to hunt a few times of the year. For example, at my place of work I often put in 50 hours a week. I'm not self employed or retired and I can't get out to hunt all that often. My point is, I can't hunt all damn week to wait for that trophy. If I see a small buck, that is my trophy and is usually the only deer I get all year.

If we did have AR and after a few years you shot a decent sized deer, would that be any more of a trophy than a 4 pointer before ARs????? Afterall, that buck could've been passed up when he was a smaller buck.
2 great points!!! Ones I keep making and that the AR proponentsNEVER address. How many of the 600,000 liscenses sold this year where purchased by hunters like you. How many will be here 5 years after AR keeps them from shooting a deer?

Steve

AndesNY2 12-26-2005 05:59 PM

I don't think anyone is debating the definition of what a "Trophy" is. It is similar to trying to define beauty, being that it is the eye of the beholder. The case for AR or beam width is rather this, if 75% of the 1 1/2 yrs old bucks are killed, it leaves little for hunters that are looking for more than just a freezer full. I have never shot a doe nor plan to kill one, but I do not look down on those that choose to for food. I agree that NY and other states are in the position they are because of too many DMP's but that it the DEC's job to control (hopefully they have seen the errors of there ways). Based upon my own opinions on game management and what I have read, a certain number of does need to be taken to keep the population in check.

AndesNY2 12-26-2005 06:05 PM

Ones I keep making and that the AR proponentsNEVER address. How many of the 600,000 liscenses sold this year where purchased by hunters like you. How many will be here 5 years after AR keeps them from shooting a deer?

In reply to your question:
[ul][*]Game management is not about selling licenses. As theterm indicates, it is about managing the game.[*]If the quality of deer/ antlers is higher, less hunters will be likely to travel out west and stay in NY. [/ul]

CattNY 12-26-2005 06:22 PM

I've never traveled out west of a trophy nor plan on it. My trophy is any buck I see walking on my land when I am hunting it. That buck is a trophy because he has lived til hunting season arrived. He survived coyotes, bears, automobiles and whatever else could be inflicted on him. I know of several people (myself included) who have head mounts of4 pointers, spikes and even does because each one represents a special time. ARs do not guarantee more trophy bucks!

amayerican 12-27-2005 01:03 PM

We have a larger herd of small bucks now; with AR in a few years the herd of small bucks will grow into bigger bucks along with the following years of small bucks continuing into the path of AR. and would continue in the future.

SteveBNy 12-27-2005 01:26 PM

with AR in a few years the herd of small bucks will grow into bigger bucks along with the following years of small bucks continuing into the path of AR.

Whats a small buck? Whats a big buck (60 class 6 or 8 pt)?
Who gets to decide?
And why?

lil hunter1 12-27-2005 02:19 PM

where i huntit has to be 6 point or more ir u get fined

amayerican 12-27-2005 03:02 PM

Good questions. And vary impossible to answer. But ill tell you one thing. If you had a 50-70 class buck standing next to a 120. I bet you shoot the 120 like I would.;)

SteveBNy 12-27-2005 03:20 PM

where i huntit has to be 6 point or more ir u get fined
So the 1 1/2 Year old 6 point 60 class buck is a shooter. Now I understand.

CattNY 12-27-2005 03:37 PM

How do you know there are more small bucks than before? Can anyone direct me to a site that gives me facts that ARs will work in NY State? That after so many years, the buck harvestwill beabout the same as before ARs were in place but the racks will be bigger? I really would like toread the FACTS. I want to see the numbers. I want to see that one area the harvest of 1000 bucks consisted of 900 4 pointers but now, because of ARs, that harvest is 900 8 pointers. ARs were in place now in PA for what 3 years now??? Ask the hunters in McKean or Potter County PA if there are more small bucks running around??? Does anyone on this forum hunt unit 3A in PA? What do you think, do you think ARs are working in unit 3A?