Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Hey Ny hows your season been so far ??? >

Hey Ny hows your season been so far ???

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Hey Ny hows your season been so far ???

Old 11-02-2005, 06:01 PM

Default RE: Hey Ny hows your season been so far ???

Northern Zone (Adirondacks) got my 1st with a muzzleloader - what a rush!! A big doe, camp meat. Seen a nice wide 8pt twice with the bow at 45 yards each time.....bummer. Cant wait for gun to open.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:41 AM
Typical Buck

I missed a huge 8 point on Saturday. I shot right over his back at 15 yards. Then I followed that up by missing a 6 point on Sunday. I hit a branch Rough weekend! Back at it tomorrow though!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Well...I took this guy yesterday morning. He came in grunting at a couple of buttonbucks that were munching on acorns in front of my stand. To be honest, he kinda fooled me. I checked him out several times with the binos as he was coming in and at first I though he was the awesome little yealing 9-pt. that I had passed up last week. Ater looking him over I thought for sure he was a poor genetic 2.5 yr. old. Since I have a crappy work schedule coming up for the next 2 weeks I decided to take him if presented a shoot. He came in an offered a perfect quartering away shot at 8-yds. The 100-grain slicktrick broadhead hit is mark through both lungs and he took of like a rocket throught the woods.He made itabout 70-80 yds...I heard a big crash and knew he was on the ground. When I got him home and looking him over a little bit I was starting to think that he looked an awful lot like a yearling. After I checked his teeth on the bottom jaw my suspicions where confirmed...he had the three cusps on his third premolar...a classic sign of a yealing [:@]. Sorry, I was a Wildlife Biology student in college. Anyways, he dressed just under 130 lbs. and had athick nontypical 8-pt. rack with a double browtine on his left side. At first I was pretty disappointed to find out that I had just taken a potential future Steuben County monster non-typical out of the herd. But, what can ya do? I felt a little better about after frying on some fresh backstrap for supper last night.

Last night I hunted at a buddies farm with the intentions of filling a doe permit. After a slow, uneventful sit on the stand I gathered my gear and climbed down. As I was walking back to the truck I decided to glass the clover field behing the barn. To my surprise, in the first spot that the binos hit....there was a awesome long-tined 130 class 8-pt. standing there! It was too dark to video him so I watched through the binos as hestarted sniffing around a doe. Despite all the spotlighting that I do over the course of the summer and fall, this is the first time that I've seen that big guy. There are some dandies around the house this year...hopefully I'll catch up to one during gun season.

Alot of people are starting to take deer around here and big bucks are stating to come outta the woodwork. It should be some good hunting over the next 2-weeks!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Spike

southern tier..I bet the time is right! I agree from now for the next week is prime...no matter what the weather brings!