HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Finding a lease in central New York in 2006 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/118374-finding-lease-central-new-york-2006-a.html)

MACHINIST 10-26-2005 01:26 PM

Finding a lease in central New York in 2006

My freind and I live and hunt just north of Syracuse,New York,we are looking for some land to lease for hunting in 2006 and would like a few pointers in what to look out for.How do you word the contract?What happens if the person hunts the same land that he wants to lease to you?How much per acre(I know that this is a type of loaded question but we dont know)?If anyone has some property that they would lease or is a member of a lease looking for a few newmembers let me know.I can give good references from the farm that we hunt on right know.We have done alot of work on the farm for trade but we are looking for some new ground to hunt on,we will still hunt this property but it is tough because the farmer that owns it doesnt plant any crops he is just a dairy farmer.He tells us every yearthat they are going to get crops in the next year and never do.We have even offered to help him with the planting and help him with the cost of the seed but nothing comes of it.We always see deer on the neiboring properties but they dont come over to our farm on a regular basis like they used to.I am looking foreward to some of your responses.

RuttyBuck 10-26-2005 02:51 PM

RE: Finding a lease in central New York in 2006

Where About are you from? Cant be too far from.(let me guess, you are from fulton)Im in Parish. I only have 43 acres, But if you guys need somewhere to hunt let me know. Also im in the Northern zone.

JAKE

MDManiac 10-26-2005 06:22 PM

There's a Furniture plant up here, called Hardens, im sure you've heard of it, anyway, they have many leases available for a reasonable fee (my buddies have 180acres for like $1200 a year, dont quote me on that) so some timber companies like that, they are located in McConnellsville NY, and have leases all around the place...I can get you a number if you want. let me know.

MACHINIST 10-27-2005 07:19 AM

MDMANIAC-Harden furniture leases a big tract to the stave mill sportsmans club,a few members of our club are members there also.I will check that out though.If you could give me the numbar that would be great.RUTTYBUCK I am from fultonand would like to find someplace close to home(1/2 hour drive).Thanks for the offer to hunt your property.If you wouldn't mind us coming out from time to time I would appreiciate it,Call me at 592-3528 and we can talk my name is Rick.Thanks again

Charlie P 10-27-2005 07:42 AM

Do a searh on google for Cotton -Hanlon they usually have some land available.

MACHINIST 10-27-2005 08:54 AM

Thanks Charlie!I am going to call them right now

BuckAlley 10-27-2005 09:31 AM

Mach. Myself, and family lease from Cotton-Hanlon. They are great to deal with. Even let us build a camp on the lease. If you haven't spoke to anyone there yet, make sure you contact Bob. He's the manager, and handles all the leases. He's a great guy. They also have a websight
www.cottonhanlon.com Only problem is last I spoke to Bob this past winter, he told me all their lands were leased up. I guess its become very popular. There's also another timber Co. that leases their lands, called Gutchess. I know people that lease from them, and are very happy. Their websight is www.gutchess.com If yeah can't find anything, think I'd work on a contract lease with your farmer. I know friends who had hunting permission on such farms only to loose it, becasue the farmer decided to lease it to some hunting group. You might even be able to work out a lease agreement where your allowed to plant foodplots that'll help you & the farmer. Good Luck

MACHINIST 10-27-2005 11:19 AM

If the farmer decides to lease then we would have the first dibs on the lease.The guy that owns it is one of my best freinds and he also hunts with us,I dont see him leasing it anyway(knock on wood[&:])I spoke with bob at cotton hanlon and he said that a lease right next to us might be coming up for lease after the first of the year,He gave me the contact info of the guys thatlease it nowso I can get in touch with them just in case they dont want to give it up just yet.I have called the guys and I am going to see if they want a few more partners on the lease.Do eathier of you guys lease from cotton hanlonin the hannibal area?

stretchhunts 12-28-2005 11:13 PM

WOW I`m so glad I found this thread. I`m going to call Cotton-Hanlon. Looks like the place to lease from.