HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   NJ Topic what to do after you get your deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/117597-nj-topic-what-do-after-you-get-your-deer.html)

Aperez21 10-20-2005 06:55 PM

NJ Topic what to do after you get your deer

Hey everyone I was wondering after you field dress your deer what do you do with whats left do you bring it to a butcher or do you do it yourself?

alex

bowngun88 10-20-2005 08:53 PM

RE: NJ Topic what to do after you get your deer

I either give it to the guy i hunt with and he does it or I send it to a butcher in West Milford if I want the whole deer.

jerseyhunter 10-21-2005 05:43 PM

I butcher my own.

OLDSNOW 10-21-2005 06:53 PM

I am very fortunate I bring the deerhome, skin it,quarter it andput it inarefrigerater.The next day I go hunting again, when I return home the deer isboned, cut up, packed and in the freezer. All this is done by my wife a real gem of a partner.[/align]

livbucks 10-22-2005 12:50 PM

The very first thing to do is take somenicely posed pics before the old rigormortise sets in.

BOWHUNTERCOP 10-22-2005 03:59 PM

I take to the butcher, but 1st thing 1st take pics

liquidorange 10-22-2005 07:25 PM

early in the season it goes right to the butcher. i like to use elys.. www.elyporkproducts.com

JerseyJim 10-23-2005 01:05 AM

This will be my first year of butchering on my own! I figure I will give it a try! I know quite a few people who do it and they are more then willing to teach me! I can't wait!

liquidorange 10-23-2005 02:03 PM

good luck with the butchering. there are some good videos by a guy named LARRY METZ. if you got somebody to show you its not hard and rewarding. get a good quality thin fillet knife for getting the silverskin off and a hand held bone saw . some freezer paper freezer tape. a small electric grinder helps too. i like to take all the meat off the bone. i think it tastes better that way. enjoy!

thndrchiken 10-25-2005 09:16 PM

I've never really trusted anyone to butcher my deer. I know they don't take the time to get every last bit of meat or to trim all the silverskin. The thing is you'll never know if the meat is actually from your deer or someone elses' or if you get all the meat. At least I know I every step of the hunt was all on me, loaded the ammo, took the shot, cleaned, butchered and wrapped and into my freezer / table all with my two hands.