HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Help NJ (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/117270-help-nj.html)

DuckNdeer 10-18-2005 02:00 PM

Help NJ

NJ deer are small, light, and undermanaged. We need to stand up for ourselves and demand for a higher quaility of game. I'm am working on a movement to request that the NJ F & G Dept. use Mossy Oak Biologic Products to creat food plots in most of the fields that they manage. It's result would be Bigger, Healthier, and Better Managed deer for hunters to enjoy.

The economy would benefit from the increase in hunting- related sales. The game would be more inviting for out of state hunters, which would drive sales even higher.

More hunters, plus better game laws(number wise/more does more mature bucks) Would make NJ rival some central states for top records, in a matter of a few years. Continuing this management over the course of time would lead to fewer accidents with deer, less urban deer disturbance, and a higher quality of game.

I am searching for voices to be heard and organizations to be accounted for. The more voices to be heard, the greater the chance of someone listening.

I am also encourageing everyone to go to http://www.ubnj.org/index.php and get the information that can be found there about a bill to allow hunting on Sundays. Please call and enter your opinion whatever way you choose to go.

Thank You for listening, and good luck NJ.

liquidorange 10-18-2005 06:31 PM

RE: Help NJ

id like to see them import canadian and texas whitetails to get some MONSTER BUCK genes in the local herds;)

Fazulle Hunter 10-22-2005 11:40 AM

If everyone stopped shooting small spikes, fork horns and even small basket rack 6 and 8's, there will be better and bigger bucks around! I have passed on small 8's many times this year as the farmer suggested we do for the past 10 years. I have seen some 130 class deer or larger where I hunt in Freehold. And they weigh at least 170 or more!

TomFromTheShade 10-22-2005 12:39 PM

You hunt in Freehold? I grew up in Freehold. Where in the hell is there to hunt in Freehold?

liquidorange 10-22-2005 07:21 PM

freehold as well as many parts of monmouth county have backyard and pocket deer. they live amongst the houses and small (tiny woodlots). some good farms still left and private plots.you only usually see the deer come out right at dark and there are some monsters. my buddy lived near casola farms in colts neck and tagged 2 giants his first year bow hunting.he could have shot deer everynight. i was invited several times but i grew up hunting the hard way in the pine barrens and i like it that way. the gentics are getting a little better but only due to the shrinking lands and development.it seems front lawns and hardwood planting is better for them then pine needles to eat.

JerseyJim 10-23-2005 01:01 AM

Over on the NJH boards they are talking about an 18 point road kill buck from I think Monmouth County! There are some good deer in South Jersey!

liquidorange 10-23-2005 10:07 AM

WORD IS- in manchester they have a big ole monster running around. i feel monmouth county may produce the next states biggest. i think they have a couple up there now in bc points. just remember you cant eat the horns.

BigBuckLuckNJ 10-25-2005 10:41 PM

OKay normally I would not post anything, I usually just read the posts and whatnot...but I really felt I had to point out a few things on this one, honestly if I offend anyone, I am sorry...but here we go.

I honestly have to agree with Fazulle. I live backed up to Ringwood state park, and I can honestly say I pass up a tremendous amount of smaller bucks each year (11 so far this year, all shooters). I can also say that most of those deer wind up on someones hitchhaul during shotgun season most of the time (usually by the same guys bitching that there are no big deer in Jersey). I really dont see where you say that NJ doesnt have large deer, I and a very good sized handful of people I know put P&Y bucks on the ground every year. You just have to find them...trust me they are out there...but it is relative to the time you put into locating and patterning them in my opinion. I have countless hours of scouting, 11 game cameras, and a mountain of pictures to find that P&Y buck to hunt.And personally, I dont think our herd is mismanaged. I have seen a dramatic change in the deer in my area since the 3 point rule went into effect, which in my opinion was a very good management tool doing two thing. 1- gave the youger bucks a chance to see 2 1/2 years old.and 2 made mosthunters look for more than just "anything" on a deer to shoot. Not to mention the 1 buck per season rule.Want to really improve NJ's herd...STOP BUILDING! Shootmore does, Let small bucks walk

I dont see NJ ever rivaling any central state...the agriculture that sustains central state deer, and the coverthey have to get lost in, doesnt exist in Jersey, and never will again due to over development. I just think its funny that magic fields of Bio-Logic will make NJ the next Illinois, Iowa, or Wisconsin. You are talking about agriculture based states vs. overdeveloped NJ

And I dont want to give the impression that I am not a gun hunter, or am against improving NJ's deer herd...I love to gun hunt...both shotgun and rifle, I just feel most NJ hunters need to learn that to improve a herd, you need to let deer walk. And I dont mean the novice hunter, or that youth day trophy...I mean that guy that lives in NJ, talks about living to hunt and all the years he has hunted, bitches that there is poor deer quality in the state, and then shoots whatever buck he sees because "thats the best the state has". I mean lets say NJ has25 entries into P&Y and B&C...is that because we have crappy genetics and poor management...or because only25 deer in the last 10 years have made it to maturity??? I guess the latter.

your words...
"More hunters, plus better game laws(number wise/more does more mature bucks) Would make NJ rival some central states for top records, in a matter of a few years. Continuing this management over the course of time would lead to fewer accidents with deer, less urban deer disturbance, and a higher quality of game. "

More does = more competition for food in harder winter months which in turn = less antler development for mature bucks. And just out of curiosity...how will supplementing Bio-Logic to improve rack and body size equate to less deer/car accidents, or less urban deer disturbance. 287 and 80 will still be littered with young bucks going stupid during the rut, the urban deer will always have to cross the black top to get where he is going, and over development will always result in the deer eating the petunias no matter what you plant.

You want to see a higher quality of game...do like they do in most of those central states you talk about(since most central states are predominantly private trophy managed lands that the magazine trophies come from...place a restriction that says you get fined $500 or $1000.00 if you shoot a buck under 130"s. Most people will not get a shot opportunity in the first year or 2...but that second or third year, it will be hard not to see a 130" buck.New Jersey's herd will most likely not improve until NJ hunters see that if you dont let them get mature, you wont have mature deer to shoot.It just seems like you are looking for that magic bag of seed to make all the bucks B&C...

I dont claim to have the answers to NJ herd management, but what you posted just seems a little bit off the mark. If you are going for trophy management on the herd (150" and up) ...you are way off the mark. You would need to thin the herd rather than increase numbers...

And as far as Monmouth Cty goes...If anyone needs a hunting partner down there...lol...j/k. They have some of the best pocket deer in the state that I have seen or photographed...I would bet good money on the next state record coming out of there.

This is just my completely unfounded opinion on the matter. I dont claim to know squat about deer, be a professional, spend about the last 15 years of my life studying, hunting, feeding, and micro managingdeer, or anything like that.

Frankie

Fazulle Hunter 10-26-2005 06:08 AM

Good post Frankie! By the way these "backyard" and "pocket" deer I am seeing are on a60 acre wood/farmland in Freehold! Yes there are some large hunting areas still to hunt in Monmouth county. These deer get the best nutrition I have ever seen in NJ, unlike upstate NY. With unlimited Does, why would anyone shoot these small bucks anyway? Let them grow!!

BOWHUNTERCOP 10-26-2005 06:29 AM

Frankie, you said itall, I agree with 100%......also the long seasons that go well into Febuary needs to stop, alot of bucks drop there racks by then, and then here we have hunting with shotguns, and a hunter thinking he just took a doe... just maybe a nice buck who dropped his rack, also the stress the NJ deer have is unreal, stress can cause smaller racks also