Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 CWD Explanation..need help. (NYS) >

CWD Explanation..need help. (NYS)

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

CWD Explanation..need help. (NYS)

Old 09-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default CWD Explanation..need help. (NYS)

Ok for all you Central New Yorkers, or anyone who understands the DEC, Please answer this:

I Live in the CWD Containment Zone, Suppose I go and shoot a deer tomorrow Within the Zone, And I take it to a check station, do they retain the deer completely?

Or do they just collect samples and give me the deer back for processing? I've looked on the website and it is Very Very broad as to what exactly happens. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: CWD Explanation..need help. (NYS)

as it was explained to me... any deer taken to the station will be checked for....
1 general apperance
2 a small sample of spinal fluid will be taken

only deer that appear to be in poor condition...mange...malnutritioned ect... will be taken by dec personal... they will give the hunter another tag.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:03 PM

"Samples collected may include portions of the brain, tonsils, and the retrophararyngeal lymph nodes. This may entail the removal of the head. Arrangements to allow retention of trophy heads will be accommodated."

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/cwdoneida.html
Old 09-28-2005, 02:16 PM

The regulations are actually quite clear, its the procedure thats vague, for most of you who have never experienced it. Allow me to elaborate...

EVERY deer taken in the indemic area needs to be sampled. Thats clear and obvious. This is what likely will happen. Youll be asked first how youll utilize the deer, consumption, taxidermy, etc. Based onhow you answer, how busy that station is, and the deer-take numbers to date, theyll either remove the head and tag the carcass, or do the following procedure. Theyll open the skin behind the head at the base of the skull, detach the connective tissue at the atlas joint where the neck meets the skull, and using a tool similar to a spoon, remove a sample portion of the brain stem. They may also cut further in and below this point to remove two lymph nodes and the tonsils. None of this will affect the meat or the head as a trophy if done correctly. Again, youll be given a tag or something identifying the carcass as sampled. You can then go on to process your deer, and if you choose, await the test results before consuming.

The problems we see so far is, theres no protocol yet as to how butchers, private individuals, taxidermists, etc, are to dispose of the carcass. Theres also no clear evidence of CWD passing to humans, its considered a species specific disease. The state must tell you they cant say without question, for no other reason than to cover themselves from any liability. I can hardly fault them for that. But its unclear what happens if they did find your sample to be suspect, or positive for CWD. Almost all CWD positive animals showed NO signs of being sick. The majority of so-called sick or "weird acting" animals that will be found this year will be the usual injured or malnurished deer we see every year. Some are due to common sickness, yet none to date have tested positive for CWD.

This is hardly a new process, as folks hunting in Colorado, for example, have been processing their trophies prior to travelling home, and have been submitting samples. Hope this helps some of you.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:20 PM

Sorry, that shouldve been "endemic", not indemic.