Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Poll - Legal hunting age >

Poll - Legal hunting age

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Poll - Legal hunting age

Old 09-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Poll - Legal hunting age

AJ - You pointed out the demographic discrepancies between different groups and different locations. Obviously, my opinion is focused on the eastern states where hunter overpopulation is a problem. Out west, those guys can wage a full-scale war without harming a soul.

In PA, however, we have roughly 1 million hunters (the most in the country), with only 46,000 sq. miles of space. That works out to 21 hunters per square mile. When you account for development, the "huntable" land figures shrink to a generous 30Ksq. mi.(which yields over 30 hunters per square mile). You guys out west can't fathom such congestion. It's a real problem that we face.

Despite my focus on only the eastern half of the country, I still can't imagine that kids out west are that much bigger, smarter or responsible than the kids on the east. Tunnel vision? Nah, just stereotyping. We know the problem with stereotypes - they're all true.

This isn't a fishing expedition. Every figure provided has been accurate, and every experience listed has been true. Sometimes the facts suggest something that you don't like. Don't shoot the messenger.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

This isn't a fishing expedition. Every figure provided has been accurate, and every experience listed has been true. Sometimes the facts suggest something that you don't like. Don't shoot the messenger.
And Pennsylvania is safer than ever in terms of the hunting accident rate. We are at an all time low for hunting mishaps per the PGC.

The few studies on hunting accidents I've seen that include demographics show the 12-20 age group as one of the safest groups. 20-30 seems to be the least safe.

QS, do you have any evidence to support your position that younger hunters are not safe?
Old 09-29-2005, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Charlie - I'm basing my opinion on what I did when I was 12, and what the kids in my family do when they're 12 years old. I've taken plenty of kids hunting. The fact is that they are wholly unable to appreciate the danger and power that they're holding in their hands. They walk around with the muzzle pointing all over the place, they don't know how to handle an emergency situation. They get so excited when they see a deer, that they just point and fire. These aren't first-timers, these are kids that have been shooting BB guns and .22's since they were six.
Kinda obvious whomever trained you and the kids in your family didn't do their job very well.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

The few studies on hunting accidents I've seen that include demographics show the 12-20 age group as one of the safest groups. 20-30 seems to be the least safe.
Those numbers will be slanted, because kids spend less time in the woods, and generally do not use treestands as often as adult hunters, because they lack the strength and dexterity to do so.

A large number of hunting accidents are treestand related - and kids aren't the ones using treestands, it's the 20-30 year olds.

Kinda obvious whomever trained you and the kids in your family didn't do their job very well.
I hate to burst your bubble, Charlie, but a couple of my family members are ex-police sharpshooters, and teach the hunters ed. course. So, as much as you'd like me to tell you that we were, I'm sorry, I wasn't raised by a bunch of hillbilly gun-toting renegades who just hand the kids the 12-gauge and turn them loose.

Given my background and experience, little things jump out at me when I see kids handle guns afield. Maybe I'm hypersensitive, but most of the things that I see as dangerous, youmay noteven notice. Secondly, I distrust a lot of parents, who have their kids outfitted with guns that don'tfit, or recoil too heavilywhich is also dangerous.

Kids really don't know any better, and that's why you have to stand over their shoulder while you're out there. I've seen and heard enough to know that it doesn't really work. You're only fooling yourself if you think I'm making this stuff up.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:31 AM
Dominant Buck

quote:

That's because thier parents or thier hunting teachers
did'nt know thier @$$es from a hole in the ground.[8D]
Old 09-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hate to burst your bubble, Charlie, but a couple of my family members are ex-police sharpshooters, and teach the hunters ed. course. So, as much as you'd like me to tell you that we were, I'm sorry, I wasn't raised by a bunch of hillbilly gun-toting renegades who just hand the kids the 12-gauge and turn them loose.
Ex police sharp shooters and hunters ed instructors or not if your basing your opinion on yourself as a kid and the kids in your family now someone didn't do their job. Maybe your the problem and not the solution.
Kids really don't know any better, and that's why you have to stand over their shoulder while you're out there. I've seen and heard enough to know that it doesn't really work. You're only fooling yourself if you think I'm making this stuff up.
Honestly I do feel your making alot of stuff up so further discussion with you is wortless. Think your just argueing to argue,see ya.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

I'm sorry, I wasn't raised by a bunch of hillbilly gun-toting renegades

Don't let your Battle Ship mouth, over load your Row Boat @$$!
Old 09-29-2005, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

[blockquote]quote:

The few studies on hunting accidents I've seen that include demographics show the 12-20 age group as one of the safest groups. 20-30 seems to be the least safe. [/blockquote]

Those numbers will be slanted, because kids spend less time in the woods, and generally do not use treestands as often as adult hunters, because they lack the strength and dexterity to do so.

A large number of hunting accidents are treestand related - and kids aren't the ones using treestands, it's the 20-30 year olds.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and obviuosly this is yours. You have not produced any evidence to support your opinion. If you want to change the opinion of others as you seem to be trying here, you need to support your oninions with facts. So far you havent done that.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:04 PM

well said btbowhunter, i think the problem lies with the original poster. i was fortunate enough last week to be squaded with 3 youngsters on a sporting clay course last saturday. 1 of course was my son but they were all 12 yrs old. they conducted thier selves like gentleman and gun handling was never a concern. i never felt that i had to watch closely at any given time. chirldren do as chirldren see , and if we as parents and peers show the proper respect and etiquette on a gun range. then the kids will follow right along and do the same. not to brag or nothing but several times in the last couple years iv had strangers walk up to me and tell me they admire how my son handles himself and his weapon. some have said they have had bad expieriences around youngsters and were uncomfortable, but after shooting with my son they were very happy to see he was a safe shooter. kids are tons of fun to shoot with as long as they are safe, but remember they learn everything from us.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure I would allow my 13 year old girl hunt on her own. Not because she's being raised by a hillbilly gun -toting renegade but because I just don't think she's ready. She just does not have enough experience. She certainly handles her gun very safely on the range and in the field. She also certainly has lots of respect for the game she is hunting. But only 1 year of experience is not enough for me to let her loose even if it was legal

That being said I have been hunting with a 13 year old that I believe is ready and has more respect for his weapon and the animal than some of the adult hunters that I have been around. In his case I would be comfortable with him hunting alone.

I'm not sure what the minimum age should be so I guess i can't answer the original question. What I do know is that whatever age gets set, there will be many examples of people on both side of that age that do not belong out in the woods with a weapon and many on the younger side of the limit that do

Quick Reply: Poll - Legal hunting age

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.