Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Poll - Legal hunting age >

Poll - Legal hunting age

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Poll - Legal hunting age

Old 09-22-2005, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Poll - Legal hunting age

We can find an exceptional incident about almost anything. That parent should be held acountable but it's not necessary to punish everyone because of one stupid incident.

Some states let kids drive a car before 16, most wait till 16 andIbelieve a few have an even higher age. New drivers ofANY age account for a hugely disproportionate percentage of car accidents. It's more about experience and training than it is the age. New adult hunters also do stupid things in the woods. Most kids fresh out of hunter ed that I've been around are far safer than many adults I've seen in the field.

I say that once a kid can pass a hunter ed course and is physically able he should be OK to hunt with an adult.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Remember, hunting is privilege, not a right.
That depends on what state you're in , some have right to hunt clauses in their state Constitution .

I'd go with #2 , an 8 year old can hunt safely with supervision .
Old 09-22-2005, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

I've hunted deer with shotgun since I was 12. Most states are 12 or 14 for deer with gun. I think the 16 with gun is too high for the minimum. 14 is ideal for NY I'd think. 12 for bow, maybe.

At 16, I can't think many boys would be wanting to spend more time sitting in a stand/freezing/etc...when they can be driving cars, doing school sports,and chasing two legged does. You instill the urge to hunt earlier, and I think it reduces the tendency to lose future sportsmen and women.

Just look at the hunter replacement rate. Compared to others, NY is losing faster, and we are the only ones at 16 for big game with a gun, I believe. It's an avennue worth exploring.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I vote for 12 with direct supervision of a parent or guardian only after passing a hunter ed class. 16 to hunt without supervision only after passing the class. I started when I was 8 and just tagged along. I got to go to deer camp with dad when I was 12 but the only hunting I was allowed to do was small game with a .410. Started to hunt deer at 14 and got my first at 16.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:25 AM
Spike

I think no child under 19 should hunt unsupervizedwithout an adult. As smart as kids are today they still make inexperianced decisions sometimes. Putting a gun in the hands of an inexperianced child will only make them learn the hard way. By mistakes. There are some children that can hunt better and wizer then some adults. But we have to look at the whole picture. Not all kids mature in there teens.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

951 - I have to say that I largely agree with you (I'd support hunting at 18). When I look back at some of the things I did when I was a kid, I can say without reservation that little kids shouldn't be carousing in the woods with high-powered weaponry.

Hunting, in my opinion, is an ultrahazardous activity, just like driving a car, riding an ATV, handling toxic chemicals orhandling explosives. Let's face it,hunters are responsible for handling a controlled explosive device, capable of inflicting grievous damage ifmisused.

We live in a regime where we, the voters,barred minors from owning land,entering binding contracts, owning companies,enlisting in the armed forcesand to some extent being held criminally liable for their actions. This policy is based on a child's inability to comprehend certain legal principles, properly value human life, and act with "adult" responsibility.

Why, then, should we make this huge exception, just for the sake of "replacing" retiring hunters, and put the rest of the populace at risk? If our federal government says "you're not physically and mentally ready to engage an enemy in combat," it speaks volumes.

Obviously, we screen the kids with hunters' safety programs, but let's face it. Those tests are so easy, it's virtually impossible to fail them. I took my cousin (17)for his, and he didn't study anything, andjust sat through a 2-day course. He missed1 question, and passed. The horrifying part is that kids could missabout13 questions and still pass. This really opened my eyes, and made me wonder "what are we doing here?"

We further control kids by mandating that their hunts are supervised. Well, I've been in the field enough to know that not all youth hunts are "supervised." Instead, it's "Hey kid, you sit here and wait for deer, and I'll be right over there, watching down over the other hollow." Sorry, but that doesn't put me at ease.

Just watching the kids (11-12) at the hunting course and listening to their questions made three things very clear: 1. They are very interested in the outdoors, moreso than I can even put into words; 2. The bulk of them would be physically unable to operate some hunting guns, and would surely be unable to survive one night in below-freezing temperatures; and 3. Most of them have absolutely no clue, they just want to get a deer like the big guys.

In closing, and I'm not trying to flame here, just stating some points. There are studies that convincingly support the proposition that hunting at too early an age can emotionally damage a child, and those kids can go on to develop deeper psychological problems. Studies also show that children can react irrationally to fear, physical injury and death. I've seen a lot in my years in the woods. Hunting isn't for the faint of heart, and IMO, should be limited to adult individuals with heightened awareness, increased decision-making abilities and a strong stomach. I just don't know why any 8-year-old needs to be out hunting, when he could be socializing with his friends, playing hockey, football or some other socially gainful activity.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:15 AM
Dominant Buck

3.) 12.... Start taking them with you when he/her at 8 and teach them weapon safety and nature, also start them shooting at the range when they are 8. Take them to the Hunter Safety Course at 11 and buy him a weapon at 12. If he/her are ready.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

19?
Would you then raise the age minimum for the armed forces to 19?
Old 09-22-2005, 10:46 AM

I think the minimum age to hunt with a gun under the direct supervision of an adult should be 8 years old. 15 would be the age I would support for unsupervised hunting.As a 9 year old I hunted pheasant with my father and I would not be allowed to place a shell in my single shot shotgun until the dog was on point and I was placed in front of my father. Many here would take that kind of opportunity away from kids and parents?Trying to legislate for bad parenting is just plain stupid in my book and limiting the childrenof responsible parents because "I heard some kid with a bad parent did.."just hurts the sport.

I hear some of the comments posted here and wonder why people believe making a "law" against something thatonly would stop behavior from people who if they would do that behavior wouldn't care the least about the lawanyway. How about lay off the legislation and step up and correct the meatball you witness passing on or exhibitingbad behavior. Thankfully they are the minority.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:07 PM

Here in Massachusetts, they allow children to hunt under a licensed adult at 12 (completing a hunter education course is needed) and unsupervised with a hunting license and Firearms ID Card (with parent's permission) at 15.

I think hunting under a licensed adult should be lowered to 10, maybe 8. A child should be allowed to get an FID card and a hunting license at 13, with parents permission. C

Currently, Mass. requires the child to complete a hunter education course in addition to having the parent's permission in order to obtain both an FID card and hunting license. I do not think that should change. I learned a lot through the hunter education course and I don't think I would be as safe as a hunter if I didn't take it.

We need to get this country's youth introduced to hunting at as young of age as possible. Everyone knows that there are less and less children getting involved with hunting. A lot don't want anything to do with hunting because their friends don't like the idea of killing animals. If you can show them at a young age that hunting is not what they make it out to be, they will hopefully pass the word on for a better chance of preserving our heritage.

For the slow or uninformed, hunting is rated the safest sport based on how often someone gets injured.

Quiksilver, if you want to relate it to driving a car, why is the minimum age allowed for someone to drive in most, if not all, states lower than the age you think children should be allowed to hunt? Why are kids allowed to ride atv's under 16? I think you and 951 overrate how dangerous hunting is.

Quiksilver, maybe it hasn't sunk into your head that the reason why the hunter education tests are so easyis because safety is mostly common sense and it is based on what they have in the books.

You are right that some kids don't have the ability to handle some hunting guns. They should test a childs ability to handle firearms and other means of taking an animal. If someone has to think hard about what their next move is to be safe in a practice scenario or be told what the next move they should make is, they shouldn't be graduating the course. Safety should be second nature to you before you are safe enough to be in the woods. The only way for someone to get that way is have lots of practice and experience under supervision to point out your mistakes.

Quick Reply: Poll - Legal hunting age

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.