HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   But why are there less deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/112974-but-why-there-less-deer.html)

germain 09-15-2005 06:03 PM

But why are there less deer?

Obviously herd reduction is the number one factor.But I think there's other reasons also.
Lack of mast in the deep woods combined with back to back rough winters had to have an impact.Also an expanding bear population along with higher numbers of coyotes.
What say you?

BTBowhunter 09-15-2005 06:38 PM

RE: But why are there less deer?

All of the above! Plus the inevitable crash due to overbrowsing (without enough timber cutting) over past years. This only applies to the heavily forested, underharvested (timber harvest that is) big woods.

early in 09-15-2005 06:45 PM

I don't know where you'r hunting, but I hunt WMU 5-D Delaware Co. and Ihaven't noticed less deer in my area at all. In fact I've seen more nice bucks in the last couple of years than before. Antler restrictions do help!

missed_another 09-15-2005 06:47 PM

we ate them.:D

germain 09-15-2005 07:01 PM

NC bigwoods earlyin.

germain 09-15-2005 07:25 PM

There's some big parcels of private land up here that are loaded with deer.But it's posted like fort knox and you ain't gettin in.

heeze gutshot shortee 09-15-2005 07:34 PM

I think yall covered it habitats become inhabitable Not enuf land management byDEC ie. clearing of state land to encourage browse, controlled burning to encourage newfood supplies, too short a season..especially when the weather is just too damn warm not allowing for enuf culling. and us poor bowhunters having to pay$35 for big game and archery...like theres a rut going on in October!!( WE SHOULD only have to pay $3 more to cover big game too.. Infairness 19.00 should cover it all rifle, bow, and smokepoles ..with all that money we spend yearly youd think theyd think and do as weve stated....or maybe they dont know anything but collecting money and paying their salaries
Im sure there a several logging companies that will clear out lands just for the profit theyll make...The state doesnt have to spend a dime. Just grant them access and tell them where to start and stop,,,seems simple,,huh??
State land is just that ..land.... in need of clearing to help complete ecosystems not just to better the deer hunters chances. It also wouldnt hurt to have a few more man made lakes either...where is all that money going??Im writing my letter to the state>>>> New York State that is..But I guess land management by the govv't applies to every state ..................Good harvest and safe journey to all my brothers in the field

model99er 09-15-2005 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: germain
What say you?
Based on my scoutin, it looks to be a "bountiful" year fer Indiana Bats !!

Germain, yer jumping the gun a bit ain't ya son ? I thought all of the "glowing" mast crop and Deer sign & sightings of the anual "fearless WCO Deer forcasts" was supposed to be next up??? ... lmao

99er

bighorns35 09-15-2005 08:51 PM

i dont know where you guys are huntin. but last year my group had a great year for harvesting deer. it was better then most. and this year the way the deer seem to be hitting are cornfields and the sightings so far. it should be the same.

Sniper151 09-16-2005 12:48 AM

I have seen more big bodied deer in Lebonon county than I have in 10 years. Normally I will see 2 or 3 real nice racks. I have seen three really nice buck within 1 mile of my stand. Now I'm trying to figure a good stand placement for this years hunt.