Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Any luck from Maryland bowhunters? >

Any luck from Maryland bowhunters?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Any luck from Maryland bowhunters?

Old 09-15-2005, 09:11 AM

Default Any luck from Maryland bowhunters?

Any luck from Maryland bowhunters? I went out to the oak tree ridge stand. Sat for 3-1/2 hours and saw 1 small doe. Will try again this evening. Heres a pic of her walking past my stand.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Any luck from Maryland bowhunters?

Nice Pic Pocomoke didnt make it out today probably going saturday or monday cant wait Good Luck
Old 09-15-2005, 02:16 PM

I was in my stand at 6:00am drinking coffee and at 7:08 2 does walked under my stand. i took the bigger one and she drooped dead after a 40 yard sprint. I got down after 20 minutes and started to retrieve my arrow and spooked 2 more that were either on their way to me or walking past my dead deer. funny thing was that everone is so scent crazy with scent lok suits and sprays (including me for a period of time) but i really dont think its true. Maybe its true in some remote far away region where deer hardly ever interact with people but not on the east coast in my opinion. For example, I walked through some thick brushy stuff on my way in and i pushed eveything out of my way with my bare hands. These deer came right by and didnt even pause. I also broke of several 1/2-1 inch thick branches on my way up the tree and i had to use my bare hands (forgot my saw) and i mean i was wrenching and twisting them to get off the tree because they were wet. Well, i threw them down below my stand and these two does were actually under my tree stand eating the leaves that i threw down lol! Oh, I and smoked 2 cigarettes before they showed up. no problem. The wind was blowing away my smoke up and away though. Does anyone else feel like the scent issue is not really such a big issue? It seems like every article you read is plugging some sort of scent control and i think its just a big scam. You read an article and it goes like, "if not for my scentlok waterproof suit, i never would have been able to take this animal"- i thinks its such bs.I sweated my a** off walking in too but the deer dont seem spooky at all.

Am i nuts or are there a lot of guys experiencing the same thing over here in Maryland?
Old 09-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a believer in scent controll to a certain extent but I feel that people get carried away with it. I don't use scent-lock clothes and I think much of this hype is for money making. I rarely get busted in my stand because I was wiffed.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

I got out this evening for a few hours.Took a while to stop sweating after climbing up in the stand.Had a group of 3 4 point bucks walk past at about 25 yards, but never got a clear shot at any of them. I almost forgot what buck fever felt like (almost)! Promising start to the season.

-Rick C.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:58 PM

I have been bowhunting since 1983 and think that scent lok does indeed work. This morning in fred. county I had a 1.5yr buck at 25 yrds downwind in that humidity and he never knew I was there. later a group of 7 does came up from down wind and I took the lead doe, at least 3 yr old. NONE knew I was there.

However it seems to me that rubber boots are even more important. Put your nose in your leather boots and you'll see. I strongly believe breath can make a difference. Two years ago I started chewing doublemint on stand and swear by it!

However, seems that wether the deer are alert or not makes a difference, by november the have there nose on everything. Damp weather makes it tough even when taking all steps to eliminate your scent. In dry weather I have had mature deer (even 3 yr old bucks) make circles around me and never smell me... That never happened before scent-lock!!! If you buy a suit dont get one on those store racks, orderone thats been stored in a plastic bag.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:07 PM

Early in, How many deer 3 yr old do you see? anyone can fool a 1.5 doe or buck.. When guys say what they do works.. I always ask that? A mature buck not in rut will move slower, look longer, smell harder, etc.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:59 PM

I agree about the breath thing.. I use wrigleys spearmint gum. I dont take much stock in scent lock suits. I wash my stuff in scent free soap. Then put it in a trash bag with earth scent wafers. Then when I get in my tree I use scent shield fall blend spray.. I kill deer every year. My father in law uses scent lock and gets winded all the time. haha
Old 09-21-2005, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: andesman

Early in, How many deer 3 yr old do you see? anyone can fool a 1.5 doe or buck.. When guys say what they do works.. I always ask that? A mature buck not in rut will move slower, look longer, smell harder, etc.
Could not say it better myself!!! Its easier to fool a kid then it is an adult.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice picture!

Quick Reply: Any luck from Maryland bowhunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.